Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #37
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
An ecometer shows you what your mpg. The harder you are on the gas the more you consume. This allows you see the effects your having on your mileage based on how you change your driving style. It does make a difference! You can make a game out of it and see what nets you the most mpg. Hard trottle your mpg drops.. Coasting it goes way up. You'll start to let off the throttle more when possible to net those gains.

Great way to increase those mpg numbers.. also a great way to see how fun (spirited) driver hurts it. lmao.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #38
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Imagine,
What kind of gas mileage do you get from your 3 door?
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #39
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

I was routinely getting about 30-35 out of my '07 auto liftback. I haven't run a full tank through my '09 yet to see how it's doing. I expect this tank to be less than I would get normally since my fiancee drove it to downtown Cincinnati yesterday and put about 150 miles on it.

I have 220 miles on this tank and it just dropped to 3 bars. I'm going to say it will be close to mid 30s by the time I have to fill up.

That's with 17 inch wheels and 27K miles.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #40
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Filled up today. Got 33 mpg out of mixed city and highway driving and 17 inch wheels, curious to see what the next tank is with less city.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #41
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
yaris hatchback manual 4 years old using regular and about 50lbs of shit on the back and aftermarket rims and tires about 3lbs heavier on each corner. winter 32-33mpg, summer 36-37mpg and record 45.2mpg
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #42
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
Filled up today. Got 33 mpg out of mixed city and highway driving and 17 inch wheels, curious to see what the next tank is with less city.
That's about what I am getting in my 08 auto LB with 17" wheels (which is also BSP, by the way! )...

Cheers! M2
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
my first tank of gas i got 37.7mpg...& i wasn't exactly trying to save gas....2nd tank of gas was 42.2...still not really trying....3rd tank...i dunno yet...i'll find out tomorrow...probably upper 30s cuz of the rain & i had to keep using the defroster

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #44
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
As others have stated, change your oil after 3K and move to synthetic and you might see a slight improvement due to the lower viscosity.

Personally on my 08 Yaris I run 40psi in all 4 tires / have a scangauge / drive no faster than 60mph on the freeway and in the summer I'm hitting mid 40's without trying.

to compare apples to apples

In the winter I'm getting 35mpg on average. Again YMMV, but 95% of my driving is freeway and only for commute to work.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #45
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
BTW i got 40.7 on my last tank

i'm switching to mobil syn at 1,500 miles....then at 5K i'm doing another change plus switching the trans to mobil syn

i'll probably jack my tire pressures up soon...i'm just trying to enjoy the car completly factory spec for at least a month, L O L, its been so hard to resist putting an exhaust on it

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #46
Slinger007

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Loss of gas mileage....

My yards Sedan is an 09 so it was two years old when I got it, I have had it for a year (Got it in March 11), and until november (2011) ish, I was getting 700km(434 Miles) no problem to a tank of gas, and thats using A/C (I still had no problem getting 700km(434 Miles) even in summer with AC on)

I pushed it a few times to 740km(459 Miles) but made sure a gas station was near by. I drive 115km(71 Miles) one way to work every day, mostly highway, and I was getting 3 round trips with out having to fill up. For the last 4months, I have been lucky to get 640km(397 Miles) out of a tank, the only thing thats changed since november is the colder weather and yes I put on winter tires. Is it usual to lose between 70 and 100km(43-62 Miles) in gas due to cold weather and winter tires?

Oh the car had 34k when I got it and in a year its now at 81k...
Slinger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #47
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
I've noticed with my hatch I'm getting a couple less mpg; I'm at around 88k miles myself. I'm puttin my money on the pressure and temperature changes having a hand in it; but don't really have any way to prove it.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #48
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
yes, winter, plus snow tires, plus winter gas will lose gas mileage. sometimes as much as 3 or 4 mpg or more.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #49
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
I have been very happy with the mileage of my 2008 auto-trans Yaris. I averaged high-30's as soon as I drove it out of the lot. By 5000 miles, I was averaging low 40's. I made sure that the tire pressure was correct. Following guidance from Pop Mechanics mag., I accelerate fairly quickly to get to higher gears and try to time my passage through signal lites and slow down slowly if I can. Doing jack rabbit starts and stops...my Yaris drops into the high 20's-low 30's. Most disturbing is when fighting strong head winds on Freeways and mpg drops to mid-to-low 30's.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #50
dobbiedoo
Dobbiedoo

Drives: 2009 5 door Hb Yaris
Winter Mileage

2009 yaris S 5dr auto I have gotten from 33 to 35 mpg in the winter, and 36 to 40 mpg in the summer. Tires are 38 psi.
dobbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #51
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Speaking of fuel efficiency, just watched a documentary called "Collapse" about, well, lots of things, but in particular concerning how future oil shortages will affect the world. Being Yaris owners, I think we are all doing the right thing by owning fuel efficient cars that ultimately decrease energy demand (thereby decreasing our dependence of foreign sources of energy), increase national security, and probably help to mitigate the impending future oil shortage.
Check it out. The documentary is pretty good. Michael Rappaport is interviewed....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #52
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Speaking of fuel efficiency, just watched a documentary called "Collapse" about, well, lots of things, but in particular concerning how future oil shortages will affect the world. Being Yaris owners, I think we are all doing the right thing by owning fuel efficient cars that ultimately decrease energy demand (thereby decreasing our dependence of foreign sources of energy), increase national security, and probably help to mitigate the impending future oil shortage.
Check it out. The documentary is pretty good. Michael Rappaport is interviewed....
^ I've seen this documentary. It is good...

With the present winter of 2012 gas prices have been the most ever for any winter season? Demand has been the lowest? Go figure? Wouldn't peak oil be bases on the law of Supply & Demand??? One has to look at short term and long term also. With what I'm seeing definately the market is being manipulated. Speculation must be the main culprit... mind you short term. Long term, there is manipulation occuring that probably far exceeds our understanding.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #53
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I realized something interesting today about having a ScanGauge:when someone else drives your car, you can access the wealth of information it retains, and see how your personal driving stacks up.

I had to have someone drive my HB 45 miles for me, they averaged 35 mpg, I get 41 on the same route. They hit a high of 78 mph, my max was 65, nuff said.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #54
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
total and utter rubbish. Garbage like that is put out by people that have zero clue about real science, and just want to control people.

The most important part about so called fossil fuels? Even the russian scientist who came up with the theory changed his mind a decade later. Oil and the like are processes of our planet, and always have been. There is nothing to see here but people doing everything they can to turn others into sheep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
^ I've seen this documentary. It is good...

With the present winter of 2012 gas prices have been the most ever for any winter season? Demand has been the lowest? Go figure? Wouldn't peak oil be bases on the law of Supply & Demand??? One has to look at short term and long term also. With what I'm seeing definately the market is being manipulated. Speculation must be the main culprit... mind you short term. Long term, there is manipulation occuring that probably far exceeds our understanding.

Cheers!
Supply and demand of oil is manipulated by many things. The most important thing is that not only does the US need to import oil, it also needs to import refined gas, because we don't have the refinery capacity that we need. The last oil refinery that was allowed to be built in the US was built in the '70's. Secondly, the USA has enough oil just in our own nation to supply ourselves for many many decades, yet eco freaks and eco terrorists would rather you and i suffer than actually go drill it. Thirdly, since the Keystone Pipeline was killed gas has skyrocketed because that was a gigantic supply of fuel that would have helped prices tremendously. Speculators are a source of gas price manipulation, but OPEC has recently decided to cut its oil supplies because demand is dropping significantly, and that also makes oil and gas prices rise.

To summarize, $1 a gallon gas or less could be easily had by drilling for oil in the US, forcing company's that drill oil in the US to sell it here, building more US refinery's, and basically telling eco freaks and eco terrorists to jump in the arctic ocean with their beloved polar bears.

Tags
bad gas mileage