Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #55
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I hope all these eco freaks and terrorists only jump into the Arctic ocean off the coast of Alaska. None allowed in Canadian Arctic waters.

Canada, at the moment, has more oil than it knows what to do with, yet when I filled up my gas tank last night I paid $1.279 CAD per litre ( about $4.85 USD for an American gallon). So there is no guarantee even if you have all kinds of oil that you are going to pay a lower price.

Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #56
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post
I hope all these eco freaks and terrorists only jump into the Arctic ocean off the coast of Alaska. None allowed in Canadian Arctic waters.

Canada, at the moment, has more oil than it knows what to do with, yet when I filled up my gas tank last night I paid $1.279 CAD per litre ( about $4.85 USD for an American gallon). So there is no guarantee even if you have all kinds of oil that you are going to pay a lower price.

Roy
unfortunately most of that is taxes, like most of the rest of the world. The US is one of the few areas outside the middle east that pays close to actual cost. Well maybe not close, taxes here even are 50¢ to $1. Completely insane. The government types need to be taught they can't steal from us.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #57
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post

Roy
The US and Canada have two different models when it comes to fuel tax. In the US, we pay two sales taxes, one state and the other federal. The federal tax goes directly into the highway trust fund and the government gives it back to the state by some complicated formulas that involve vehicle miles traveled, lane miles...and a bunch of other little factors. The state gets to do whatever it wants with their part. In Canada, the tax on gas goes to many different funds. Only a very small portion goes to fund highways. I always wonder why Canada has such a high gas tax when they are flush with gas.

In Canada,

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #58
Juan.Zayas

Drives: Yaris LE Sedan (5sp)
Well my i see a tren of complaints but the bottom line is all in how you drive and remember the 5 speed will get on averege an extra 5 m/g
Juan.Zayas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #59
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan.Zayas View Post
...and remember the 5 speed will get on averege an extra 5 m/g
In what world is this? The MT is rated all of 1 MPG better than the AT and that only for highway driving, in the city the ratings are the same (Source for 2007-2010 Toyota Yaris mileage ratings).

Practical experience by members of this forum has confirmed that.

Welcome to the forum, but while posting on here be sure to differentiate an opinion from fact!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #60
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
Mileage higher with AT than MT

When I bought my '08 Yaris with AT, I asked my salesperson what type of penalty in mpg I would get in buying it with AT. He said that both the 2007 and 2008 models were getting a slightly higher mpg with the AT than the MT. He thought it had to do with the engine computer being better at shift points than most drivers using the manual transmission. My mileage was 38-42 mpg right from the beginning (at about 55 mph). After break-in, I have averaged mid-40's. My dealer has said that the newer models were also giving better mileage with the AT than the MT. Of course, your mileage can vary by how you drive. Re: the woman who won the civil case against Honda because her hybrid didn't give her what the EPA sticker said! I bet I could get my Yaris down to 10-15 mpg if I had to...burning rubber, topping out at max speed on the Freeway, etc.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #61
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
yea some of the best mpg's come from members who happen to own auto's. The Yaris auto is a darn good one compared to others.

The reason that suit worked is because the Honda dealers were doing some really shady unethical things with the gas mileage numbers. Making all sorts of impossible guarantees.

Tags
bad gas mileage