Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Godfryness

Drives: Xb
Final drive question???

Hi I am new here and I don't even own a Yaris but looking everywhere it seems you guys/gals may have the answers I need.

I have a 2006 Scion xB Manual transmission. My 4 gear is now poping out and needs to be fixed. I drive a lot of freeways of 70-80mph about 80% of my driving. I am doing 25k miles a year. I love this car but don't like doing 4k rpm at 80mph. I read a forum where a guy swapped in an old Corolla transmissions with a higher final drive and said it was night and day better for all round driving and way better for freeway speeds. His rpm drooped 500 at 80mph.

I also live in ut and drive in the snow a lot. So I want to put in an LSD at the same time I fix this problem. I had been looking at c160 with LSD for a swap. But the c160 final drive is so low even with the 6th gear being taller it's really no different then my gearing now so by doing the c50 to c160 swap I only gain more gears to say in a power band and an LSD but no lower RPM for cruzing.

Is it possible to swap out the final drive in the c160 with my c50 or will that not work? If no is there a higher final drive to be had for a c160 that is not crazy expensive, like from another MT I can get at a junk yard?

Is my best bet to swap out my final drive in my c50 with the Yaris FD, fix my 4th gear poping out problem and put in an LSD? If I do that what LSD will work? I am unsure if the FD Yaris is a 6 bolt or 8 bolt like mine. If it is 6 bolt that would be a weekend part correct?

I am new to all this so any guidance is very welcome and sorry if this is all posted in the wrong place.

Chad
Godfryness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
There's lots of info on gear ratios, FD swaps, and compatible gearboxes on the forums (lots of it posted by me) so I won't duplicate all of it here. I'd recommend just buying a Yaris C50 and swapping the internals. The diff is an 8-bolt, so you can't use the C150/C160 as a donor. I've got a Quaife in my gearbox and love it for daily driving. It's not as nice on ice/dirt as a KAAZ or OS Giken would be, but that's a tradeoff.

I think someone has a used gearbox that they've been trying to get rid of for a year or two in the for sale forum...

*edit* Disregard, he doesn't want to ship it. Take a look on car-part.com for a used one near you.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfryness View Post
Hi I am new here and I don't even own a Yaris but looking everywhere it seems you guys/gals may have the answers I need.

I have a 2006 Scion xB Manual transmission. My 4 gear is now poping out and needs to be fixed. I drive a lot of freeways of 70-80mph about 80% of my driving. I am doing 25k miles a year. I love this car but don't like doing 4k rpm at 80mph. I read a forum where a guy swapped in an old Corolla transmissions with a higher final drive and said it was night and day better for all round driving and way better for freeway speeds. His rpm drooped 500 at 80mph.

I also live in ut and drive in the snow a lot. So I want to put in an LSD at the same time I fix this problem. I had been looking at c160 with LSD for a swap. But the c160 final drive is so low even with the 6th gear being taller it's really no different then my gearing now so by doing the c50 to c160 swap I only gain more gears to say in a power band and an LSD but no lower RPM for cruzing.

Is it possible to swap out the final drive in the c160 with my c50 or will that not work? If no is there a higher final drive to be had for a c160 that is not crazy expensive, like from another MT I can get at a junk yard?

Is my best bet to swap out my final drive in my c50 with the Yaris FD, fix my 4th gear poping out problem and put in an LSD? If I do that what LSD will work? I am unsure if the FD Yaris is a 6 bolt or 8 bolt like mine. If it is 6 bolt that would be a weekend part correct?

I am new to all this so any guidance is very welcome and sorry if this is all posted in the wrong place.

Chad
Popping out of 4th is likely a bad synchro, and you have to pull the trans apart to put the LSD in anyway... So put a Yaris final drive in (takes you from 4.3 to 3.7), do all new synchros, install the LSD. Also consider upgrading the clutch and installing a light flywheel - you have the car that far apart you might as well do it all.

I likely have a nearly new Yaris 3.7 if you are interested. $50 + shipping.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
Godfryness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Popping out of 4th is likely a bad synchro, and you have to pull the trans apart to put the LSD in anyway... So put a Yaris final drive in (takes you from 4.3 to 3.7), do all new synchros, install the LSD. Also consider upgrading the clutch and installing a light flywheel - you have the car that far apart you might as well do it all.

$50 shipped, done.

Also can I put in an LSD in my xB? If so witch one?
Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan

Quaife: QDF15E - ONLY if you have the stock differential and mating end ring.
Any other brand: do some research. =)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Final drive question???

If you want to lower your gearing just install an Echo transmission. Revs 2600 at 60mph

Echo transmissions are 6 bolt

Sent from my iPod Touch
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Godfryness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post

50 and shipping. Done. Let's do it!!! I sent you my contact via pm.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Godfryness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Quaife: QDF15E - ONLY if you have the stock differential and mating end ring.
Any other brand: do some research. =)
Thanks so much!!!

Side question. Do the final drives from a c50, c5x work in a c160?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Thanks so much!!!
No worries. Glad to share what I know with the community.

No, the C15X/C16X are a smaller, 6-bolt diff. The C50 in the Yaris and xA/xB are an 8-bolt, but are also different from the 8-bolt xD C50 and Celica/MR2/Matrix C56/C59.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Thanks so much!!!

You're new here and I already answered your PM you sent me regarding this, so I'll explain in more detail.

The C160 is a 6 speed as you already know. In order to have 6 gears you need a longer input and output shaft. The output shaft also carries one of the gears that turns the differential. The gear is part of the shaft. That shaft will not fit into a 5 speed transmission and is why non of the 5 speed final drives ratios will work in a 6 speed.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
No worries. Glad to share what I know with the community.

No, the C15X/C16X are a smaller, 6-bolt diff. The C50 in the Yaris and xA/xB are an 8-bolt, but are also different from the 8-bolt xD C50 and Celica/MR2/Matrix C56/C59.
The C160 is a 6 speed and has an 8 bolt diff. All the gears inside are actually much larger than the C150.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #12
Godfryness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
You're new here and I already answered your PM you sent me regarding this, so I'll explain in more detail.

The C160 is a 6 speed as you already know. In order to have 6 gears you need a longer input and output shaft. The output shaft also carries one of the gears that turns the differential. The gear is part of the shaft. That shaft will not fit into a 5 speed transmission and is why non of the 5 speed final drives ratios will work in a 6 speed.
Thank you!! Yes I am new and it's nice to have it explained. I read a thread from a different form and he said all c5x FD will work in a C160. I understand that one is a 5speed vs 6 speed. But I thought maybe only 1-4th gear were on the shaft. As I understand some Trans you can pull off 5th gear while the Trans is in the car.

I will try to find that thread and post a link.

Again that's everyone. I am very appreciative.

Chad
Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Godfryness

This guy said if I understand correctly that all c50 FD are interchangeable with c160 but not c60.

http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/for...php?topic=45.0

If it is not ok to post links from other forums I apologize and will delete.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
Godfryness

Anyone check out the link I posted and be able answer if that guy is correct or not?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #15
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
This guy said if I understand correctly that all c50 FD are interchangeable with c160 but not c60.

http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/for...php?topic=45.0

If it is not ok to post links from other forums I apologize and will delete.
I did not see C50 mentioned specifically, maybe I missed it? He says C5x, which could be anything. I think your options have been laid out for you.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Just pop in a Echo transmission in as mentioned earlier, this will drop your rpm significantly. Since you drive manual, why even need an LSD for the snow? Start in 2nd.

While an LSD will do the job preventing wheel spins, but I think you are wasting it specifically for snow.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
The C160 is a 6 speed and has an 8 bolt diff. All the gears inside are actually much larger than the C150.
There I go making an ass out of you and umption again. =) The stock differentials from my collection are two different sizes: the Yaris and xA/xB use one size, the xD/C56/C59 use another. The inner diameter of the ring gear is a few mm larger on the xD/C56/C59, and the drive shaft splines are bigger than on the Yaris.

Quote:
You would need to have them in your hands and try to pair them up.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #18
Godfryness

So I decided to get the FD from Jason and a c160 and see witch one works out the best. At least I will have options if one does not work.