Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Zohzo

Drives: 2009 Yaris RS
New Yaris Owner (2009 RS Manual)

Hey everyone, just wanted to explain my situation to some yaris owners and get some sort of confirmation about the car.

I currently own a 2009 RS manual with 140,000 km that I sold my 03 mini cooper S for (due to fuel economy reasons). I loved my mini, and the yaris sure aint one but unfortunately because of my long commutes I needed something good on gas.

I think the RS is a fantastic looking car with some great utility capabilities (that are better than the mini) but I'm having some issues with the car that I'd like to know is just 'normal' for a yaris or not.

First all, the sensitivity for first gear is just ridiculous. I'm used to an electronic gas pedal from the mini, but the yaris is far more sensitive. I'm always over revving just to move out of stand still. If I try to rev less I stall or it chugs along. It's incredibly annoying and I'm wondering if this is just normal for the yaris and if so, if there are any mods that can be done to work around it?

Secondly, the serpentine belt squeals like crazy regardless of temperature. In the cold it will make more noise warming up, but even on a hot day it will squeal but only after driving around for a while, then coming to a stop for some time. After the car has cooled down a bit, starting it up again will guarantee squealing. The problem with this is that the serpentine belt is brand new.

Third problem is fog. The car fogs up very badly and I'm even noticing built up moisture from inside the car itself (namely from the top of the main windshield). It's enough that it will drip water as if there's a leak (but I couldn't find any). This is obviously more of a winter problem, but just wanted to know if this is a common occurrence.

And finally and probably the most problematic issue I'm having with the car is the lack of grip I get when driving. I've got a full set of all seasons, brand new, highly rated good tires yet with even the slightest of damp roads, there will be no grip in the tires. When I bought the car it had worn out fronts, but good all season rears. The front tires would constantly lock up even on dry roads. I switched the better conditioned rears to the front to stop the lock ups. Unfortunately when cornering on wet roads, the bad rears would cause the car to slide sideways. It almost put me into a wall, so I decided to replace the tires thinking it would solve the issue. I've now got brand new tires and although the problem is not near as bad as it was before I'm still noticing the car lacks any kind of grip especially in rain.

Would appreciate any kind of advice or info. Thanks for your time!
Zohzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
New Yaris Owner (2009 RS Manual)

About the sensitivity of the first gear: it's normal that's the way this car works. I have the 1.33L engine and it's the same here aswell. You will get used to it.

Secondly about the serpentine belt: well I don't know what causes it. It's not a thing in yaris. However, you can use an other belt from a different manufacturer. Every serpentine belt manufacturer is not the same and maybe your car isn't -happy- with the manufacturer you chosen.
Also there are some serpentine belts from goodyear with extra grippy rubber to prevent situations where this noice doesn't stop even with an other belt. But I can't remember the name. (Check on chrisfx channel you will find it somewhere).

About the fog: use the a/c??
Turn it on the windscreen and I think you are good to go.
But if you think you have leaks then tell someone to drop water from a hose, to your shield and u can check for drops inside the cabin.

In the end, don't compare the Yaris with a mini. It's a way different car than mini. Different philosophy, different build, different way to approach things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Welcome! I wish I had an RS. They look pretty sweet.

When I took my '09 to rainy Oregon, I noticed water started beading up and dripping down the inside of the windshield. I looked in the spare tire well and found it full of water. It turns out it was letting water in around the taillights, which is apparently a common problem with this model.

The e-throtte is very laggy, while at the same time, very sensitive. It gives me more than I want, about a half second after I want it. I haven't quite gotten used to it after a few thousand miles. There are throttle controllers you can get which go between the pedal and computer, and are supposed to make it less laggy. Most of them have different sensitivity settings to choose from, too. I have my eye on the one by Weapon R.

As far as the traction issue, have you tried slowing down? Minis are known for fun, go-kart handling. The Yaris is all about reliability and fuel economy, at least from the factory. There are sway bars and springs and struts and things you can install which other members know a lot more about than I do.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
The serpentine belt is probably due to be replaced. For the fogging issue, do you know if your AC is working correctly? Otherwise there should be no problem. I don't understand the tire grip issue you have, as I've never come across it with having had two of these cars. I wonder if you just made a poor choice of tyre, or they just need a bit of wearing in.

The Yaris is a really light car. A few tweaks can therefore make it a great fun drive, very much in the spirit of the original Mini.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
Zohzo

Drives: 2009 Yaris RS
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I suppose the sensitivity is something I'll have to get used to, but I'm finding it rather annoying especially around hills. I suspect the tire issue I'm having is a result of the sensitivity as the tires will spin on the spot in the rain (or even when its dry out) but only when in first and rolling from stand still.

My A/C works I just wasn't expecting the car to fog up that easily (I can stop somewhere for less than 2 hours and the car will be completely fogged up again). De-fogging can take a good 5 minutes or more before its safe to drive.

Thanks for the help!
Zohzo is offline   Reply With Quote