Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
thoughts for yaris parts

Hey guys... I'm bored at work, and I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas for parts that you would like designed or developed for the Yaris. I am currently working on an intake manifold and throttle body for my turbo setup. It should be completed with some results hopefully by the end of april. Once that is complete I will be tearing apart an extra engine that I am getting and most likely doing a full build. If you guys have any suggestions on parts you would like to see sooner rather then later, let me know. I will look into them. I would prefer to stick with performance parts, because I'd rather go fast then anything else. That isn't to say I wouldn't consider other parts. Just shout out any suggestions.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
An aluminum under-panel for less than what JDM is costing at this point would be quite nice.

Other than that, I just think that the 1NZ head is screaming for some heavy-duty parts. I seriously doubt its ability to handle much of anything properly in the way of power, especially when you start to play with the timing and whatnot. I'd like to increase revs eventually, but I wouldn't even think about it until I looked at some head work.

What are you thinking Nick?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
turboyaris

haha well like I said I will be tearing apart the entire engine and doing a complete build. I was definatly looking at valves and springs and retainers, all lighter and def. stiffer springs. I know Ferrea makes a lot of blanks for different valve applications Im sure they have something close. If not, I know they do custom valves, just not sure what that would run me. Heads are definately part of the program though. If there is enough interest, I will start there instead of the bottom end like I had planned. One thing is for sure though, I have seen the 1nzfe rods and they are paper thin, also too for turbo apps forged lower comp. pistons is def. on the list. I wouldn't worry about the engine, I have a problem starting a project and leaving parts stock haha call me crazy.
As far as your idea for an underpanel, I had already contemplated that after thinking about the issues with what I believe to be lift at high speeds, The front end tends to feel a little lose as you get up in mph, an underpanel would reduce turbulence underneath the car and actual increase front downforce. I can't imagine it would be too expensive to have someone fabricate that, I know a couple good sheet metal guys, I will see what they think.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

See, you need low comp block internals while I'm more or less looking for just the opposite. I'd like to see someone up the compression and lower the displacement... F1 style. Smaller pistons, better materials, less rotational mass, higher revs, more usable power. Its all a pipe dream, but it sounds awfully nice. With a good tune, wow.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I heard a rumor that somesone changed the tranny, any thoughts
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
turboyaris

thats a definate possibility for the tranny after completing my engine build i will be looking into that possibly a tc tranny with tc axles to save you from the 1100$ drvieshaft shop axles. and tc trannys have held easily in the 400 range.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Hmm, that throttle body sounds interesting.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
turboyaris

Quote:
See, you need low comp block internals while I'm more or less looking for just the opposite. I'd like to see someone up the compression and lower the displacement... F1 style. Smaller pistons, better materials, less rotational mass, higher revs, more usable power. Its all a pipe dream, but it sounds awfully nice. With a good tune, wow.
well less reciprocating mass is definatly on my list, light rods can be changed over and f1 achieves the displacement by enlarging bore and lowering stroke making the whole assembly needed to spin less. I can look into higher compression pistons for you when I do mine. the problem with lighter materials is always a price game. I have an idea though that will allow me gobs of power in the usable range. Remember the other problem with high compression is a need to run higher octane fuels. Go to high with the compression and you will have to run race gas all the time. Easy ways for you to raise compression is to mill the heads down a little, a thin metal head gasket. Remember stock is 10.5:1 already 12:1 i believe is the limit for pump gases or at least safely.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
turboyaris

only problem with that throttle body mod is that you can't really port out a plastic intake manifold. Thats why I am custom making an aluminum one.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
How about an easy motor swap?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
turboyaris

Quote:
How about an easy motor swap?
I would have to guess that if you were to do an engine swap your easiest bet would be a transverse mounted fwd engine I am not too familiar with the other toyota engines, but I do know that the 1.8 in the celica gts is mounted either way, I would look into that or the 2.4 in the tc, the tc engine is mounted with the exhaust in the front in a traditional manner. The engine bay is fairly large in our cars, the only thing you would have to consider since our hoods are so small, you might need to install the engine from underneath. Another major thing to consider is that our ecus are mounted inside the engine bay on the firewall, that being said there aren't a lot of places to run wires through the firewall therefore the ecu might have to stay in the engine bay. Of course if the exhaust is in the front like the tcs and traditional fwd cars, the back firewall would see significantly less heat then our cars where the exhaust is right there. Personally I like the 1.5, it seems to be very efficient as far as mpg and all, even under boost I still see good mpg. Plus the engine is very light itself. I have also been semi against engine swaps, just sacreligous if you ask me. Just my thoughts though.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #12
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I'm all for forged pistons and rods, with a bias towards lower compression for a possible FI future. But ya... like Charles said... less rotational mass... any way you can. (btw... looking forward to getting the NST crank pulley on in the next couple weeks, after I get the car dynoed stock).
Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I doubt I will swap the engine, but I am sure I will dig in and do what I can to lighten, and stregthen what I can on the inside.... and from what Chino is finding out I am more and more convinced about staying away from Forced Induction.... I may put her on the bottle down the road with a lil shot just for fun
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I doubt I will swap the engine, but I am sure I will dig in and do what I can to lighten, and stregthen what I can on the inside.... and from what Chino is finding out I am more and more convinced about staying away from Forced Induction.... I may put her on the bottle down the road with a lil shot just for fun

why stay away from forced induction???

anyways for turboyaris an intake manifold will definitely help the flow since you can port it to whatever size you want, along with the throttle body.

after seeing the second edition of syphon mag i'm really interested in the rotrex supercharger. is a compact design which should be easy to mount and route the piping.

the one thing the aftermarket needs is a cheap way to modify/piggyback the ecu for tuning when needed. if you go all motor or forced inducted.

what kind of setup do you have in your turbo application?
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post

Is this directed to me? Cause there is no turbo inside this lil blackbean
Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #16
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Is this directed to me? Cause there is no turbo inside this lil blackbean
no the first question was for you, as to why you are going to stay away from forced induction?

the last one was for turboyaris to learn more about his setup.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

turboyaris is running the ZPI kit. You can look at it on their website.

I am not convinced that either is better over the other quite yet. I need to see what this ITB setup makes on the dyno. I agree with turboyaris that engine swaps are sacrelige. Swap the engine and it isn't a Yaris anymore. Its a Yaris with a _______ engine. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed, though. Why not? Anyway, we will see what the ITB setup does with that xA. Finished intake, exhaust, more pulleys, short shift kit, bushings, rims, tires... plenty to do this summer. When "tune" is on the coming soon list I'll be happy.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #18
turboyaris

Quote:
emanage system... works well for me, was able to tune everything we needed to, and keeps stock functions, only downside is check engine light is always on