Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Not to kick you while you are down, but I will never ever understand how someone that lives in a 4 season environment doesn't have at least M&S tires for incliment months. An auto is a big investment and it deserves your respect as well as other drivers on the road. I hopw that others that read about ypur plight thay don't run winters when/where they should pay heed.
If you are talking about me ... I think you need to learn about tires. My tires are "Winter Rated Tires". They are hybrid "all weather tires" rated for snow and ice.

The benefit .. I can use them all year long.

However .. I have found they are awesome in snow .. on ice, not as good as I would like. They are $800 tires ... if I wanted crappy all season tires for my Yaris I can go to Walmart and pay $40 a piece.

Spoke to my sister yesterday who has "Winter tires" .. and she has been having the same sliding problems. There is no guarantee of anything when you are on ice, not even winter tires.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #20
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
All weather tires are not designed for our canadian winters. Honestly, at 7c, they already lose adherence compared to proper winter tires.

True on ice, but a good ice and snow tire will outperform any all weather tires on ice.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #21
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
edmscan, would you consider studded tires? I don't know what Edmonton winters are like, but if it's season-round snow on the roads, I'd go for it! Just the added confidence would be totally worth it.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #22
sheekeebut
Minimalist

And I'd have to agree with illusion that purpose-built winter tires are the way to go. This is my first season with a set of winters on Yaris, and it's like night and day difference in traction and handling.

Oh, and this:

http://drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/what-does-ms-mean
Old 03-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #23
sheekeebut
Minimalist

It's like you're writing a biography on me and my wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yeah, but a HUGE percentage of those moments, IMO, will likely come when one is young....especially when it concerns guys. Women....a different story. In my experience, women are either skilled drivers or they aren't. Not as tied to age, ego, 'there is a time and place', or maturity as it is with guys.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #24
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
And I'd have to agree with illusion that purpose-built winter tires are the way to go. This is my first season with a set of winters on Yaris, and it's like night and day difference in traction and handling.

Oh, and this:

http://drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/what-does-ms-mean
Interesting article ... and of note, my tires DO have the "Mountain and Snow" symbol on then as described in this article.

Thus .. they are designed for snow and ice, something that none of you seem to understand.

Only a few companies make them as they are not cheap so many people do not buy them.

And yes .. I am not going to put studs on my tires as I use them all year long. That is the point of these hybrid tires, you can use them all year long.

Here is a YouTube video for you that need to learn about these tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8EyJOjoRY
Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
It's like you're writing a biography on me and my wife...
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #26
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Interesting article ... and of note, my tires DO have the "Mountain and Snow" symbol on then as described in this article.

Thus .. they are designed for snow and ice, something that none of you seem to understand.

Only a few companies make them as they are not cheap so many people do not buy them.

And yes .. I am not going to put studs on my tires as I use them all year long. That is the point of these hybrid tires, you can use them all year long.

Here is a YouTube video for you that need to learn about these tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8EyJOjoRY

Which tires are you using?

In Canada, AFAIK , only the Hancook Optimo 4s have the appropriate "mountain and snow" for winter driving. They aren't the greatest tires for winter...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #27
sheekeebut
Minimalist

I think I get it, it's got real winter tire designation as it meets performance criteria, but it's also built to run year round. Though I fail to see how it could do well in both.. Like falken's "hybrid" tire that gives lots of mpg, and still be a performance summer tire..
Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #28
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Oh, you mean this:

http://www.kaltire.com/all-season-vs...s-winter-tires
Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #29
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Hmm, even so, I think you're in full blown studded winters conditions..
Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #30
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Which tires are you using?

In Canada, AFAIK , only the Hancook Optimo 4s have the appropriate "mountain and snow" for winter driving. They aren't the greatest tires for winter...
Those are exactly the tires I have ... are they better than All Seasons (yes), better than straight winter tires (no .. but pretty close in most conditions), better than studded .. no.

So the consensus .. they are pretty dang good. Perfect .. no.

If you understand my driving .... I drive slowly and very cautiously, probably more cautious than most people. But things happen .. it is just how it is. I will just be extra cautious when presented with this again.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #31
IllusionX

Today was Yaris smashing day ...

As personal experience, I would never put those tires on my cars. The only time I think these should be used is if the car isn't used much. Such my father Inlaw who is out of the country. The car gets driven about 2000km a year.

Just my 2 cents. Glad you were not hurt.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #32
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
ive been driving is Michigan winters for 30+ years, mostly in small fwd cars. good all weather tires have always been plenty competent...UNTIL I got the yaris with the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas. worst oem tire ive ever experienced. enough so that it made me consider dedicated snow tires. instead I went with an all season tire that performs decently in snow..the General Altimax RT43. it was a night and day difference and did quite well in the snow under all conditions known to man.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #33
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
As personal experience, I would never put those tires on my cars. The only time I think these should be used is if the car isn't used much. Such my father Inlaw who is out of the country. The car gets driven about 2000km a year.

Just my 2 cents. Glad you were not hurt.
That is your opinion, you are entitled to that.

You live in Quebec where you are required to have winter tires. So .. apples and oranges. We are not required to have winter tires.

I almost never go on the highways .. so going 65 km/h is about as fast as I go. And as you know .. we have winter here for about 7 months a year .. there is no escaping it.

But I am not willing to be swapping tires. So this works.

I have not had an accident that was my fault in well over 20 years .. and it may be another 20 before it happens again. Or it could be next week. You just never know. I am not going to worry about it .. cars can be fixed.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #34
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
.. we have winter here for about 7 months a year ..
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #35
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Quote:
.. we have winter here for about 7 months a year ..
rally country
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #36
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
That's nothing short of OUCH (speaking from experience).

At least you're okay though. Hope your baby returns to normal soon.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote