Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #37
jackab

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If the cruise symbol lights up, then you are good for the ECM connection. If your can't get the "SET" light to come on (and the cruise to actually work), then the clutch switch may not be installed correctly.

The clutch switch needs to be fully depressed when the clutch pedal is not touched in order for cruise to work. If you installed the switch in too far, then it will not actuate when the clutch is at rest and therefore will not allow cruise to work.

The Rostra 250-1836 kit is essentially identical to what I sell, but for a whole lot more money. (The older kits were a custom Rostra product, but the new ones are just the OEM switch, etc.)
I checked the clutch, and it looked like the clutch pedal was depressing it enough, but I extended it a bit more anyway. The cruise control still didn't work. I removed the clutch switch wires and went for another drive. Cruise control still didn't work even though the cruise control dash came on. When installing the kit, it seemed too simple an installation for the cruise control to actually work. Does the device send radio signals to the ECM to tell it what to do?
jackab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackab View Post
I checked the clutch, and it looked like the clutch pedal was depressing it enough, but I extended it a bit more anyway. The cruise control still didn't work. I removed the clutch switch wires and went for another drive. Cruise control still didn't work even though the cruise control dash came on. When installing the kit, it seemed too simple an installation for the cruise control to actually work. Does the device send radio signals to the ECM to tell it what to do?
When you say you removed the clutch switch wires, did you unplug the OEM connector that was taped to the harness just above the clutch pedal, or did the Rostra kit include its own wiring for the clutch?

The stalk is a wired connection to the ECM. It is simply four switches and three resistors and the ECM sees the voltage drop across the resistor when one of the switches is pressed. The clutch switch is also a switch input to the ECM, which routes through one of the connectors in the under-hood fuse panel to get there.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #39
jackab

The Rostra instructions said to splice the two wires from the clutch switch to the two wires leading to the A29 connector. The connector was taped up out of the way and was not connected to anything. The CC should work without the clutch switch installed, so I disconnected those wires. Still, the dash CC indicator light comes on and CC doesn't work. I will next take the airbag off and make sure everything is done right there, but it's so simple that even I should be able to get it right.

I installed one of the old style Rostra CC units in my 2010 Yaris, and it works well. It cost a lot more and is more elaborate. The 2011 Yaris belongs to my wife. Her knee is hurting her, and the cruise control helps a lot, so we need to get it going. (You probably didn't need to know all that.)

Thanks for all your time and help.

Bill Foreman
Moab, UT
Mountain Biking Capitol
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #40
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackab View Post
The Rostra instructions said to splice the two wires from the clutch switch to the two wires leading to the A29 connector. The connector was taped up out of the way and was not connected to anything. The CC should work without the clutch switch installed, so I disconnected those wires. Still, the dash CC indicator light comes on and CC doesn't work. I will next take the airbag off and make sure everything is done right there, but it's so simple that even I should be able to get it right.

I installed one of the old style Rostra CC units in my 2010 Yaris, and it works well. It cost a lot more and is more elaborate. The 2011 Yaris belongs to my wife. Her knee is hurting her, and the cruise control helps a lot, so we need to get it going. (You probably didn't need to know all that.)

Thanks for all your time and help.

Bill Foreman
Moab, UT
Mountain Biking Capitol

The CC will not work unless the clutch switch is indeed connected properly. It is a normally closed switch and the ECM needs to see that connection and will abort cruise when it is not.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #41
jackab

You are my hero. It was the clutch switch hookup. It is pretty difficult to work under the dash, and I suppose I didn't make one of the clutch switch connections correctly. This time, I took the seat out so it was easier to work and made the two connections work. I screwed up one to my splicers and soldered the connection instead. Soldering is actually easier than using the splicers, and it is obvious when it is done right. When I installed the CC in my Yaris, it would work without the clutch switch hooked up. In fact, I saw how the brake switch worked and figured out a way to install a micro switch I had left over from my days as an airplane mechanic instead of buying a Rostra switch.

What other products do you sell besides the CC?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
DCYarisGuy

Drives: 2010 2-Door Hatch
Hey I have a base model 2010 Yaris Liftback with A/T. From what I'm gathering from the PDF all I need is the stalk and (if I want) the new boss cover. I won't need to run any wires to the ECU. Is this correct?

Thanks!
DCYarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCYarisGuy View Post
Hey I have a base model 2010 Yaris Liftback with A/T. From what I'm gathering from the PDF all I need is the stalk and (if I want) the new boss cover. I won't need to run any wires to the ECU. Is this correct?

Thanks!
That is correct.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #44
DCYarisGuy

Drives: 2010 2-Door Hatch
Quote:
That is correct.
I purchased the stalk, wires, and mounting screws from CTScott and it took about 30 minutes to install. Working great on my 2010 Yaris hatch! Thanks!
DCYarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #45
ZAKU

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS
CTScott, what are your thoughts on these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Camry...0fa459&vxp=mtr

Cheap Chinese junk?
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKU View Post
CTScott, what are your thoughts on these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Camry...0fa459&vxp=mtr

Cheap Chinese junk?
I'm not sure. I have seen those Chinese clones on ebay, but haven't seen one in person to compare the quality versus OEM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #47
GAWADE

Drives: 2012 Yaris 4d Auto Coupe
OEM Cruise Control

Mr. Scott,
You are a man of your word and then some!
By far the best simplest installation ever!

I got home late from work, looked over the instructions and thought maybe I should wait when I had more time, it's already dark...
I sat down and really read the instructions and realized I was done after step 2! So went out and did it. The thing that took the longest was finding a T30 to fit. I had a socket set of them but it was to big/short to get all the way in. But once I got one that worked I was off and running!

Great job! Thank you !

Glenn
GAWADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #48
wildwildip
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 3 Dr A/T
A++ product and install manual. Fast shipper of his kit too! Thanks Scott!
wildwildip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #49
edmondcenteno

Drives: yaris 2008 sedan
Guys

Does it works for 2008 toyota yaris sedan GCC specification?

Thanks you
edmondcenteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #50
edmondcenteno

Drives: yaris 2008 sedan
Sir,

I have 2008 yaris sedan GCC specification,, does it has Cruise control provision?
edmondcenteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondcenteno View Post
Sir,

I have 2008 yaris sedan GCC specification,, does it has Cruise control provision?
I don't believe it does. PM me the VIN for you car and I can tell you for sure.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #52
marvellous_matt
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
They have worked for 2012 and newer Yaris, but I am fairly certain that they will not work for 2006-2011 Australian Yaris.
any update on this? I just got a 2006 1300cc and looking to sort out Curise control. any other suggestions?
Sorry, Australian 2006 1300 cc!
marvellous_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #53
CTScott
ULTIMATE

For a 1.3L you are limited to an aftermarket solution.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #54
marvellous_matt
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
For a 1.3L you are limited to an aftermarket solution.
Thats a shame. can you recommend any aftermarket ones now that the Rostra one is not available? All I've found sofar is http://http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pl...item540875895b
which is a bit pricey.
Cheers
marvellous_matt is offline   Reply With Quote