Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #145
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
The NTC has hundreds of reports, and of all those reports of such a problem, 40% come from Toyota alone.

It's ALL OVER the internet....but here is just one which speaks to the accellerator mechanism....which may be just part of the problem:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=64104531001
chastise me for not reading and then link me a vid... love it

I don't care what AOL says... if its all over, find me a text link ;)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #146
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Start/Stop Button works flawless. Depending on the car you have to press it for 3 seconds or you have to hit it several times while the engine is running. Of course it does not cut off the engine with a single short hit, because you might hit the button accidentially while driving.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #147
mdesjarlais
yarisnoob

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
The NTC has hundreds of reports, and of all those reports of such a problem, 40% come from Toyota alone.

It's ALL OVER the internet....but here is just one which speaks to the accellerator mechanism....which may be just part of the problem:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=64104531001
I just watched this video this morning. Very informative. I am the manufacturing manager for a company who designs and produces medical devices. One thing I can definitively say about ANY manufacturing process is that no matter what you may specify on your print or your process descriptions, there will ALWAYS be some deviation from that. If toyota specifies that the finish on that guide pin installed on the pedal mechanism must be to a certain specification, if that production run is a large batch at a time (which i am sure it must be) how often do you think CTS is changing their tooling? Or if they buy the machined pin and collar from another machine shop, how well rounded is THAT company's QA and QC system?.. With so many different manufacturing processes going into this system, from wiring to soldering to plastics molding and machining, it may take them a little while to find the root cause. Everyone is saying "its this and its that", but I can almost guarantee is it something small that is either a deviation of toyota's specified process of manufacture, or it is something associated with lack of QC either by factory workers or subcontractors for toyota. Hopefully nobody gets hurt in the mean time.

On another note, it could be the floor mats... ha!
mdesjarlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #148
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Honda has a recall now so maybe this will take some of the negative attention off of Toyota.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #149
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
I appreciate all the feedback. :) The honda salesperson told me that "all toyotas are not selling well at this moment due to the recent recalls." I am sure this is true, but it makes no sense that my trade in would be worth way less then what it truly is worth just due to a recent recall. I paid off my Yaris within one year, so i have no car payments right now. My main reasons for not wanting to keep my yaris is the acceleration for me is beyond horrible. It feels like the car has about a thousand bricks in it when trying to accelerate. I have taken it in and been told there is nothing wrong with it. I am always resetting my feet to fit and push the acceleration pedal (which is sometimes hard to push)..which makes me worry about the recent recalls. Sometimes the brakes are mushy, and sometimes they are great. And I understand this is winter, but my car is getting around 27 mpg. It is not worth me being upset everytime i drive my car. I test drove the civic yesterday, the acceleration is beyond perfect, and the entire inside is great. Yeah i will lose a few MPG, but i drive with a light foot and coast whenever possible. Am I making a bad move? Is there something wrong with my Yaris?
Honda has their own recall to worry about now. I would go back to that dealer and demand a huge discount.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #150
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
just might work .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #151
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Reports are one thing, investigations are another
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #152
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the post about the Yaris owner who took his 09 to a Honda dealer only to be told that the trade-in value for all Toyota's dropped because of the recall (which is pure BS), but I wanted the poster to take this report about the Honda recall of 646,000 cars and ask him how much his Honda Fits are worth now!

Toyota's voluntary recall is a precautionary measure, cars are not crashing all over the place because of it. As a matter of fact, Toyota provides insight into the indicators that should alert the driver of a possible problem:

Quote:
Is my car safe to drive until a fix is issued?

The condition is rare and generally does not occur suddenly. It seems to occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position.
Also note that the floor mat problem is a different issue...

Quote:
Sticking Pedal Accelerator Recall: The condition can occur in rare instances, over time, under certain environmental conditions - there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to idle position.

Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal Recall: This condition is the potential for an unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mat to interfere with or entrap the accelerator pedal and cause it to get stuck in the wide open position. Toyota has determined that this condition can occur in vehicles in which the driver’s side floor mat is not compatible with the vehicle and/or is not properly secured.
For more real information, see Toyota's Consumer Safety Advisory web site, specifically the Toyota Answers Questions About the Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and the FAQs for Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and Suspension of Sales sections.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #153
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the post about the Yaris owner who took his 09 to a Honda dealer only to be told that the trade-in value for all Toyota's dropped because of the recall (which is pure BS), but I wanted the poster to take this report about the Honda recall of 646,000 cars and ask him how much his Honda Fits are worth now!

Toyota's voluntary recall is a precautionary measure, cars are not crashing all over the place because of it. As a matter of fact, Toyota provides insight into the indicators that should alert the driver of a possible problem:

Also note that the floor mat problem is a different issue...

For more real information, see Toyota's Consumer Safety Advisory web site, specifically the Toyota Answers Questions About the Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and the FAQs for Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and Suspension of Sales sections.

Cheers! M2
Amen brother. All said right there, clear as day, and no BS about it. Though, I would like to add again, that Toyota cars are not the only company CTS has made these axact parts for. The Pontiac Vibe is the perfect example, because it is the same car, part for part, as the Matrix, and has the same thropttle control unit in it. We pulled them off the lot as well because we KNOW they need to be replaced, even if Pontiac is ok with waiting for people to get into accidents and possibly kill people before they spend a single penny fixing a potential problem. Screw the American companies! Ford had bad tires that killed people, fuel pumps that started on fire, and several US companies had airbags that would not deploy. Not to mention how many American companies have brake and transmission problems. Toyota has a faulty part. No question about it. But no one has been seriously hurt, or killed, and they are recalling ALL vehicles that have that part, BEFORE something serious happens.

Which parent is better, the one who puts the outlet covers on the outlets before the kids hurt themselves, or after? Make your own choice... and keep on searching for the WHOLE story.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #154
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
none of this bothers me. If I had the loot, I'd go and buy 10 more toyotas right now no hesitation.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #155
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
If people knew how to use their brake pedal, neutral, or even that key thing that turns the engine off, neither of these issues would matter that much.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #156
chew246214

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan base
OK I will say this again.... All manufacturers have recalls!!!!!!!!!! It's the nature of the game. Toyota's are so big because they sell more cars thats the fact. Lets go back a few years... toyota again frame rotting on tacomas... most all bought back from 1995-2000 and starting another round on the 2000-2004 soon. toyota definatly took care of their customers in that one... about the same time.... Jeep grand cherokee's heater seat elements were catching on fire... chrysler replaced them, also ball joints on durangos/dakotas... replaced them also... ford/firestone.. we all remember the problem there... two fold... tire defects in one plant, and ford putting the wrong reccomendations on the door stickers for inflation and load rating.... ok.... Honda... complete dashboards on their minivans due to fire risk, GM can't think off hand but I'm sure there are good ones out there.... Everybody has recalls, these were just examlpes off the top of my head. and once the public has gotten over it life will be normal again and toyota will have a proper fix and be selling cars again.... lets be honost it is good to know if your car is recalled, but there tends to be a mob effect and everybody thinks there is a bigger problem then there is.... Don't get me wrong.... My yaris is sitting at the dealer as we speak, it does have a surging issue at around 20 mph and gets stuck at wide open throttle six times already.. not part of the recall I know about and they can't find out whats wrong but atleast the service manager knows there is a problem (we went for a long test ride and the throttle stuck) with under 2300 miles on the car. Am I mad? no.... I am confident that it will eventually be fixed... Like I said in the begining it is the nature of the business. You can't find every glitch and with hundreds of thousands of cars/trucks on the road more problems are bound to arise. As a precaution toyota is pulling all the cars which I think is safer then some other manufacturers that wouldn't think about doing this... just my 2 cents.......
chew246214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #157
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I've had throttle cables break before...
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #158
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

...and jam.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #159
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
...and jam.
Good point!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #160
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...073,full.story
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #161
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
saw something interesting today! i take a shortcut on my way to/from work that cuts thru a little-used section of our airport(long story short- our terminal was moved from one end to the other and now the old part is a large 'wasteland'). anyways, as i was driving thru the area where all the rental cars used to be kept i noticed a virtual 'sea' of new camrys parked. they were all brand-new and you could tell someone had made it a point to keep them in a place out of site. wondering if the dealers are 'hiding' the recalled models or if they are just staging them there till they can be worked on? nothing has been parked in these lots for at least a year(as long as i've been taking this route)!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #162
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I'm buying stock in pitchforks and torches.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote