Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #1
Doobiejack

Drives: 2018 Yaris Hatchback
Wheel bearing problems

Three months ago I replaced the right rear wheel bearing. My 2018 Yaris LE had only 55,000 miles on it. Now, I've got wheel bearing noise again. Has anyone else had wheel bearing problems at low mileage?
Doobiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
if its the wheel bearing you just did, its probably defective, or you did not do the install correctly
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobiejack View Post
Three months ago I replaced the right rear wheel bearing. My 2018 Yaris LE had only 55,000 miles on it. Now, I've got wheel bearing noise again. Has anyone else had wheel bearing problems at low mileage?
Its not the control arm rear bush is it? it makes a knocking weird sound.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:04 AM   #4
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
It depends on what you replaced them with. My '09 had around 100k miles when the same right rear oem AISIN bearing became loose, but no noise. I only noticed the play when I did my own inspection at home before getting an inspection so they don't fail me, you know? I grabbed two sides of the wheel (Euclid is facepalming in his grave at my statement), shook and got maybe 1/32 inch play at the wheel end with a "dook-a dook-a dook-a" sound. The 2-3 good aftermarket bearings are expensive. I got two "TRQ" bearings with a limited lifetime warrantee at that time. You can get two new ones if yours break for free and that's it. They told me later though, that if you pay for return shipping for the busted ones at the time you need them replaced, you can keep the warrantee going indefinitely. I went through now all 4 of them, the two in the set and 2 replacements, each failed around 50k miles, and each losing their abs signal around 40k. The good news is I've become quick at doing them since there isn't time for it to rust to the axle or backing plate! Not sure if I'll give another cheap aftermarket a shot or just bite the bullet and go for a Moog. Funny thing is, the most recent noise on my TRQ bearing started exatly when I installed snow tires. I thought the noise was just that, snow tires since the noise was consistent. It got progressively worse over 3-4k miles between 20-50mph. It wasn't until just the other day that the noise went away when turning right and that prompted me to check it out. Sure enough, spinning the wheel by hand gave a gravelly feel and sound. I read that you shouldn't drive more than 1000 miles on a bearing that started making noise. I've unknowingly done 3-4x that but wasn't going to take a risk on it seizing on the highway and put back my good old loose AISIN which has been sitting in the corner of my garage since I removed it almost 5 years ago. Yes, I'm going to get a new one, but this will keep me on the road another few days. Oh boy is it quiet now! I also realize this OP post is 6+ months old, but I hope forum people are passed the "Why are you commenting on an old thread?" mentality. This comment is for people looking for ideas now and years from now.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:59 PM   #5
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My wheel bearings have made atrocious noise for a decade yet have no play
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel bearings