Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Auto tranny shifting issues?

It seems abnormal to me, this is what I'm experiencing:

At times, such as approximately 60KPH the it will not shift into OD from 3rd gear, staying at an annoying 3000 RPM, sometimes for up to 20 or so seconds before it abruptly shifts into OD. Is this just a quirk of the AOD Tranny or is there an isuue I should be bringing up to my service centre? Cruising at 3K RPM seems wrong to me
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Until the engine warms up it won't shift into 4th. I take it easy on mine until the cold light goes out, then it shifts. Just the nature of the beast (most cars now-a-days)

Is this the problem?
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Vervepipes

You know, it might just be that. I'll pay close attention to the condition of the engine temperature light next time I drive it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Well my engine goes from cold to operating temperature so quickly I couldn't get it into 4th gear cold, but I've definately never noticed any delayed up shifting.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Well my engine goes from cold to operating temperature so quickly I couldn't get it into 4th gear cold, but I've definately never noticed any delayed up shifting.
It could be that you live in a warmer climate?
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
churp

This week I get about 2 miles before the cold light goes out and it shifts to 4th!!! In winter I'l let it idle a while before driving.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
LoudYar

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Yeah, I have the same problem, its only when the engine is still warming up. Mainly because I live in a very hilly subdivision, if I can, i like to start the car up before I get in.

Like "Churp" said, take it easy on the car/engine till that cold light turns off, and your engine is warmed up. After that the car should be running great.

If your still getting that problem, after the "cold light" has gone out, contact your dealer, Tranny problems are definitely something you need checked out immediately.
LoudYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
This week I get about 2 miles before the cold light goes out and it shifts to 4th!!! In winter I'l let it idle a while before driving.

Why warm it up? The lag in shifting while it's cold does not hurt the car, nor does it hurt you. Warming it up will hurt your wallet, as it just wastes gas.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudYar View Post
Yeah, I have the same problem, its only when the engine is still warming up. Mainly because I live in a very hilly subdivision, if I can, i like to start the car up before I get in.

Like "Churp" said, take it easy on the car/engine till that cold light turns off, and your engine is warmed up. After that the car should be running great.

If your still getting that problem, after the "cold light" has gone out, contact your dealer, Tranny problems are definitely something you need checked out immediately.
You refer to this issues as a "problem" It is not a problem...it is the correct way the car is supposed to behave while cold. Just start it, drive it, and don't worry if it shifts late for the first few miles. It's all good. No problem.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
LoudYar

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
You refer to this issues as a "problem" It is not a problem...it is the correct way the car is supposed to behave while cold. Just start it, drive it, and don't worry if it shifts late for the first few miles. It's all good. No problem.
You sound like you have "schizophrenia"

Problem? What Problem? There no problem here!....

Yeah i said "problem", but i didn't mean it in the way, you seem to think. Im not much for not "worrying" about how my car drives. If something sounds fishy, i like to know whats going on with it. I just don't drive it, and think it will all go away.

No doubt, its all good. The yaris is all good, and i think we could all agree on that.
LoudYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
churp

Wish I had your Calif. weather Pavel....but I'm happy where I'm at, just at 20 to 30 below I like to warm any car up a bit......
Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Wish I had your Calif. weather Pavel....but I'm happy where I'm at, just at 20 to 30 below I like to warm any car up a bit......
Being so cold where you're at, I can see now warming it up is well worth the expense in gas!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Vervepipes

Yup, just as described, doesnt happen when warm, thanks for the responses