Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think of Toyota as rice?
Yes 5 14.71%
No 25 73.53%
Undecided 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
There is a book about how they became the #1 car company in the world.

YarisHilton should read it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Yep, but in this case that's to do with the limitations of their language, if there's no phonetic "DZ" kinda sound in Japanese, they have to approximate with the closest native sound. Same reason why it took me years to pronounce "the" properly (no TH sound in French)

seeing KARAOKE and pronouncing it KARI-OKIE is just... er...
....seems kind of natural, ne c'est pas?

French is a great language in which to sneer or curse. It was also once the scientific language of Europe, especially at the turn of the 20th century, when Poincare and others were leaders in Math and Physics. I have two years of University French and two years of Spanish. The two together in one head with marginal fluency in both can cause amazing gaffes.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
There is a book about how they became the #1 car company in the world.

YarisHilton should read it.
Actually there are several books on Toyota and their methods. The philosophy that they use make perfectionism almost respectable.

Gene
Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

their notion of "kaizen", where everyone is encouraged to contribute to improvement, is something I instituted in my own company.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I have two years of University French and two years of Spanish. The two together in one head with marginal fluency in both can cause amazing gaffes.

Gene
Haha yes I know what you mean, when I went to Italy last month and tried to use whatever limited vocabulary I had, I subconsciously fell back to trying to speak Thai

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
their notion of "kaizen", where everyone is encouraged to contribute to improvement, is something I instituted in my own company.
Kaizen is wonderful if it's promoted fairly and uniformly. Toyota has a MINIMUM QUOTA of suggestions, I think it's one every two weeks, for every worker.

Some companies make a mess out of Kaizen. One firm I once worked for used to demand a cost/benefit analysis of each suggestion. Another firm refused to give credit unless the suggestion netted the firm at least $1,000,000 profit per year. One group of pirates, a "name" manufacturer based in Japan, sometimes would steal suggestions from employees, develop them and then give the prize to the lead engineer.

The saddest part of suggestions is that really radical and market shaking suggestions will be the first ones tossed out as "useless". We keep hearing all sorts of asinine predictions by CEOs (like Watson of IBM claiming that there might be a market for five computers in the entire world) and must realize that sometimes if you want something new you have to go do it yourself.

Gene
Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #25
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Nothing new regarding suggestions. Quite a few firms profited handsomely from some of my suggestions, and they weren't Japanese. Not much you can do about it, just eat it....

And no one in North America is interested in market-shaking, no matter what the discipline. I spent a lot of time in the handicap transport business, a design for a tiedown system that we developed was, as you say, useless. 25+ years later, it is still superior to any other existing system, but no one wants to talk to me about it, unless I give over the patents for free. I ain't gonna make a pile of cash because I wasn't looking for the money in the first place, but I won't make some other clown rich, either.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #26
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Here in P.R. Hondas = Abundance of Rice!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Haha yes I know what you mean, when I went to Italy last month and tried to use whatever limited vocabulary I had, I subconsciously fell back to trying to speak Thai
Probably confused the hell out of the poor things. Some of the northerners I've met can speak French. Probably not a lot of them who can speak Thai.

Gene
Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

LOL @ the survey results.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #29
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
I didn't vote, but my last name means middle of ricefield. "naka" middle Ta or da= rice.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #30
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
One more thing, mazda actually is a japanese last name, came from Matsuda. Same has honda, and toyota.

I don't know about nissan, i'mma bout to goggle it right now.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #31
highwaypass
Captain Slow

Drives: '08 1.5 hatchback
how about "toyo tyre"
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #32
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
I was looking for spare parts online on this website http://www.findapart.com.au/toyota_parts.php and i found this quote about Toyota.

So in Japanese Toyota means abundance of rice?

Is this why people call Toyota's rice?
People call Toyota's (or any car for that matter) rice because of all the stupid crap people put on them. Just today at work I saw a Tercel on 24 inch rims, a big kanji character painted on the hood, with an eBay wing that was somehow mounted upside down.

All I could think was "Oh you poor Toyota..."

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyota; rice;