Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #37
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
How deep are your 6.5 speakers? how thick are the adapters? It's probably that you may end up putting a spacer to clear the magnet and the glass of your window.
I just checked SonicElectronix and they say: Top mount depth is 3". This is measured from the bottom of the speaker magnet to the bottom of the mounting holes on the rim. The adapters are pretty slim, perhaps 1/4", maybe a little thicker. The speakers mounted in the adapters fit fine in the rear deck, no clearance issues that I can see. I bought the adapters so I could reuse the stock mounting holes in the rear deck without drilling new ones. To that end, it's a perfect fit!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #38
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Top mount depth is 3". This is measured from the bottom of the speaker magnet to the bottom of the mounting holes on the rim. The adapters are pretty slim, perhaps 1/4", maybe a little thicker.
It's hard to tell, but you'll find out once you fit the 6.5 speaker into the front doors and lower your windows.

D.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #39
Herbicidal

Quote:
It's hard to tell, but you'll find out once you fit the 6.5 speaker into the front doors and lower your windows.

D.
Ohhhh! These are for the rear deck, not the doors. I'm not to the doors yet.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #40
derickveliz2

But on this picture you show to the right the 6.5 speakers and they go in the doors, is that right? if so you may need a spacer.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
Herbicidal

My bad, I misunderstood which speakers you were referring to. The ones on the right in that picture are the Kickers. According to Sonic, the Top Mount Depth is: 1 15/16's inches. Just a click short of 2 inches deep. These are used in "shallow mount installations", according to Sonic. Maybe I'll be OK?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #42
derickveliz2

Quote:
The ones on the right in that picture are the Kickers. According to Sonic, the Top Mount Depth is: 1 15/16's inches. Just a click short of 2 inches deep. These are used in "shallow mount installations", according to Sonic. Maybe I'll be OK?
They may be OK, I had the window control handy and plug it into it's connector to move the window up and down when I had the door naked, to test fit the speakers. It's good also to double check if the speakers wires don't get stuck with the glass too. But you won't know until you get to the doors.

Keep it up!

Nice speakers by the way!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #43
Herbicidal

Put some more time into the car tonight. Finished installing the rear speakers and actually put the entire trunk, rear deck and 'C' pillars back in, plus some plastic body panels that go over the rear wheel wells. The back seat is still out as I have some more deadening to do underneath and in front of the back seat. The rear speakers sound great! But I'm still toying with getting an amp before the backseat goes in. Before I get too much further I may buy some higher quality speaker wire and pre-run it before I cover everything up again. That will make it pretty much plug-and-play without having to remove a bunch of plastic panels again.

Deadened the license plate and inside the frame with scraps of RAAMmat and Ensolite. Don't throw your scraps away!

Put some extra Ensolite on the back of the plate where it may touch the car during EXTREME base.

Reassabled the trunk area after installing the rear speakers. The new ones sound great!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #44
Herbicidal

I decided to get an amp, an amp wiring kit and a line output converter. Since I'm already 'into' the car, I might as well do it right!

Amp: Eclipse EA4200, free shipping, no sales tax (already shipped) for $129.99 from Crutchfield. Sonic Electronix wanted $209.99 and it's out of stock and backordered on their site.

Amp wiring kit: Earthquake Sound AK-3000, free shipping (already shipped), paid CA sales tax from Sonic for $29.99.

Line output converter: PAC SOEM-4, free shipping (already shipped), paid CA sales tax from Sonic. Listed at $32.99 but had a make offer button. I clicked it and submitted an offer of $25. It countered with $26 and I bought it! That savings more than covered my CA sales tax.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #45
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Amp: Eclipse EA4200, free shipping, no sales tax (already shipped) for $129.99 from Crutchfield. Sonic Electronix wanted $209.99 and it's out of stock and backordered on their site.

Amp wiring kit: Earthquake Sound AK-3000, free shipping (already shipped), paid CA sales tax from Sonic for $29.99.

Line output converter: PAC SOEM-4, free shipping (already shipped), paid CA sales tax from Sonic. Listed at $32.99 but had a make offer button. I clicked it and submitted an offer of $25. It countered with $26 and I bought it! That savings more than covered my CA sales tax.
Some thing tells me that WE ALL LOVE FREE SHIPPING!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #46
Herbicidal

Oh yeah! I'm sure we're paying for it somewhere, but it looks good to see "free" where usually you see a big number!

Speaking of big numbers, I randomly checked the price of the Kicker speakers I bought for $109.99 at Sonic Electronix and they are now $199.95!!! What the heck happened to the price!!! I would not have bought them for $199! I guess I got real lucky on that one. Kind of the same thing price-wise with the Eclipse amp I bought today, Sonic was like $80 MORE than Crutchfield! That's just crazy!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #47
Herbicidal

The line output converter and the amp wiring kit arrived yesterday. The amp should arrive tomorrow. I've been chipping away at laying down the Ensolite on top of the RAAMmat the over the last several nights. I just about have it done up to the existing sound deadening on the floor of the passenger compartment. Once that is done, I'm turning my attention to the doors, front speakers, amp, etc. I'm leaving the rear seat out until I can run the speaker wires from the amp to the rear speakers since I have pretty good access on the passenger side. Since the jack is under the drivers seat, I think I will mount the amp under the passenger seat. By the way, the Alpines in the rear sound great even with only the power from the stock HU! I can hardly wait to wire up the fronts and the amp!

Here's two pictures of my progress in the back seat area:

Passenger floor area, drivers side. I still need to lay some Ensolite on top of this small section of RAAMmat to finish up the rear seat area. Maybe another 15 minutes worth of work.

Passenger floor area, passenger side. I have layed the Ensolite on top of the RAAMmat up to the existing sound deadening material on the floor.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #48
Herbicidal

The Eclipse amp arrives today! Knowing that I need to remove at least the passenger seat, I searched YarisWorld and found the size of the socket I needed for those seat bolts. It's a Torx or Star socket, size: E10. Thanks to the person that posted that size up somewhere on here. I picked one up from Autozone yesterday. Once the amp arrives, I think I have everything to complete the audio upgrade portion of the install. I do need to pick up some stiff screen or some other material to lay over the rather large opening in the door panels so I can deaden both "walls" of the doors, then seal 'em up with Ensolite. Now the only other thing I need is time. Where the heck can I get that?!?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #49
Herbicidal

I was finally able to dedicate some time this past weekend to work on my car. This time it was pretty much all about the sound system upgrade portion. I pulled the stock radio out and with a radio wiring diagram, cut into the wiring harness and connected up the line output converter. Then I ran the power, ground, remote start wire and the RCA’s from the line output converter to the amp. I also ran the power lead for the amp through the firewall and up to the battery via a 60amp fuse block (no picture yet). Found a good ground to a bolt used for the parking brake lever, connected up the RCA’s from the line output converter, along with the remote start wire to the amp. Ran new speaker wires to the rear speakers and up to the amp. Powered on the radio and it all works! Nothing shorted, fried or otherwise crapped out. I’m working on mounting the amp and making all the wires running to it neat and tidy. Now I can start putting most of the interior back together. I still need to run speaker wires for the fronts and install them. When I get to that point, I’ll deaden the front doors too. Here’s some pics from my efforts over the weekend.

Passenger front seat and radio removed. Now to find a way to get the power lead for the amp through the firewall.

Man, it was a pain trying to find an access point through the firewall without drilling a hole! The passenger side floor has an A/C vent hose running through a rubber grommet. I used this as my access point through the firewall.

I drilled a hole in it and then angle cut the wire and put a little grease on it to help get it through the hole. Very snug and does not impact the vent tube nor does it touch bare metal.

This works great from my purposes.

Close up of the power lead inserted into a hole in the A/C vent grommet.

Sorry for the dark photo (the flash was blocked by something in the engine compartment), but this is the power lead coming out from the rubber grommet next to the A/C vent line in front of the firewall. I then routed up some other pre-existing lines and zipped tied the power line to them for a nice clean install.

I removed the access panel directly below the steering wheel and behind it is a panel parallel to the floor that I mounted the line output converter to. Works great and everything is hidden.

Here's the line output converter mounted (test fit) onto a panel that goes up above the foot pedals and behind the panel below the steering wheel. It is close to the back of the radio, about 24 inches away.

Line output converter mounted to panel above drivers feet (you can just barely see the top of it, some wires - blue and yellow - are sticking out to the right).

Test of the: (Radio and wires not connected in this picture) line output converter, and all the wires run for the amp and rear speakers. Yeaaa! It works! I still need to run the speaker wires for the fronts. Now I need to put it all together the right way.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #50
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Good progress makes me feel like I should make more time to work on mine!

I did find a grommet up high almost to the end of the firewall, very hard to access though, but keeps my power wires far right from all audio wires; Just in case,... don't let the RCA wires run near or parallel with the power wires for the amp, try to keep them as far as possible, if you have to... cross them in a 90 degree to prevent engine noise.

Very nice, looking good! I'm still so far away from turning it on for testing.. )o:
Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #51
Herbicidal

Thanks for the tip! I put enough of the car back together last night so I could drive it to work today. The rear speakers are the only ones connected and they sound great! No engine noise transmitted via the wires. Now I need to add some more sound deadening to the rear wheel wells and under the rear seat before I put it back. Then I can shift my focus to the front doors, such as installing the new speakers, speaker wire (it's going to be fun getting it from the doors to inside the car), tweeters and deadening. Woohoo!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #52
Herbicidal

I almost have the entire car back together again. I was at Lowes yesterday and picked up some scrap carpet padding that is 1/2" thick. I stuffed it into some open cavities in the 'C' pillars (already sound deadened on the actual metal surface) and put some more under the rear seat as I have a resonator for the exhaust almost exactly under the seat. Plus there is a ton of room under the seat so why not add more (cheap) sound deadening while I'm in there? Somehow I lost a single bolt for the rear seat so I was not able to complete getting it all back together. I'll stop by the dealership on the way home and get what I need. Then I'm on to the doors and installing the front speakers along with the sound deadening. I need my front speakers! I'm looking forward to this next "stage" of my project. Doors, Doors, Doors!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #53
derickveliz2

I started with the rear doors, they are much easier than the front doors, I still have to do the pilot's door! and replace left speaker.

Sounds like you are almost there! awesome!

D.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #54
Herbicidal

Quote:
I started with the rear doors, they are much easier than the front doors, I still have to do the pilot's door! and replace left speaker.

Sounds like you are almost there! awesome!

D.
I think I'm going to start with the fronts as I really want to hear my new speakers! Since I'm doing only about 1/4 of the sound deadening you are doing, it figures I should be done much sooner! After the doors, and if I have leftover Ensolite, then I'm going to add it to the trunk area, right now it's just covered in RAAMmat.