Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Installing MI Crank Pulley?

Well I'm going to install my MI Crank pulley again.
Last time I had a glazed belt and that just caused issues so i removed it and re-installed the factory one because I thought it was the pulley it self. But I'm thinking I had the belt too loose/or too tight.
Just have some questions.

I got a fairly new serpentine belt (oem with around 5000kms on it)
so that should be good with the pulley im guessing?
Also when I have the new pulley installed, I should probably be able to only twist the belt 90 degrees? Or is their another way I can tell the proper tension on it?
Also after I have the car idling for 10 minutes or so with the new pulley on, should I re-adjust the belt?

Thanks you.
oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
The belt shouldn't deflect more than 1/2" when you press on a long section of it
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Twisting isn't a good measure. Deflection (how far you can press against the belt is the proper measure). I don't remember the exact deflection measurement off the top of my head, but I posted it in a couple of the other belt threads.

There is a real tool for measuring deflection, but I prefer to use my finger tip. Pressing on the middle of the long stretch of the belt with your finger tip the belt should only deflect the amount of the rated deflection.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
CharlieBravo

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Please post pics of the install! I may be getting one soon!
CharlieBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I believe that because the belt already has 5000 kn, no readjustment would be necessary.
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
skill of the craft

I think this belt adjustment is skill of the craft old school kinda way. It shouldn't be too loose or too tight. definitely not too tight cause it'll ruin other components like...ie idler bearing or alternator bearings, A/C compressor bearings. If Toyota had installed the proper auto tensioner pulley in there we wouldn't be having this conversation....LOL
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I believe that because the belt already has 5000 kn, no readjustment would be necessary.
You have to re-adjust it, because you have to loosen the alternator to swap the pulleys.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote