Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
P2111...limping home now

Got a low idle situation for a short time this afternoon, went away, then hit hard with a p2111 code. I have to start the car and then immediately stomp the throttle to avoid an unstoppable stall.

I'll update when I get her home...fighting to now.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's an interesting one, which indicates that the throttle actuator was stuck open. Pop the intake off the throttle body, and with the ignition on, but engine off, have someone work the pedal (and watch the TPS on your ScanGauge) for your while you watch the butterfly. There might be a dead spot on the feedback pot for the throttle body.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

This is a 1zz TB by the way...I tried to make use of it yet again, only to be let down yet again.

I made it home earlier after stalling out and gunning it at every light. Freeway driving way unaffected for the most part.

I pulled the intake and right away I could hear the TB wasn't functioning properly. It was buzzing and the butterfly kept fighting to keep shut. When I would attempt to apply pressure to force the it open it was freaking out, seemed like it would bite the heck out of your finger if you managed to get it in there...kind of intimidating when you're jabbing it bare handed and alone haha. When I hit the gas there was no response from the TB at all, just the buzzing sound.

I tossed the 1nz TB back on and it seems to be good to go, I haven't gone around the block as I've been balancing watching the kiddos with fixing the car and I obviously can't leave. ;)

You want to check it out Scott? I could ship it over for the heck of it...I'll order another one(maybe) if I decide to give it another go and this one is toast.

My odometer 03/11
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
This is a 1zz TB by the way...I tried to make use of it yet again, only to be let down yet again.

I made it home earlier after stalling out and gunning it at every light. Freeway driving way unaffected for the most part.

I pulled the intake and right away I could hear the TB wasn't functioning properly. It was buzzing and the butterfly kept fighting to keep shut. When I would attempt to apply pressure to force the it open it was freaking out, seemed like it would bite the heck out of your finger if you managed to get it in there...kind of intimidating when you're jabbing it bare handed and alone haha. When I hit the gas there was no response from the TB at all, just the buzzing sound.

I tossed the 1nz TB back on and it seems to be good to go, I haven't gone around the block as I've been balancing watching the kiddos with fixing the car and I obviously can't leave. ;)

You want to check it out Scott? I could ship it over for the heck of it...I'll order another one(maybe) if I decide to give it another go and this one is toast.
Sure. It might be interesting to take a look at how and why it failed.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

OK, PM me your mailing addy at your leisure and I'll get it boxed up in short order.

My odometer 03/11