Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yaris in Dear Photograph

I'm sure some of you have heard of this website, people take old photographs back to the location they were taken and then take another picture of them holding it up and aligned with the background.

I was perusing through some of the latest submissions when I came across this...

I believe it's British based on the registration plate.

Cheers! M2
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Let the good times roll. haha.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
ok just weird. Don't get the concept.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ok just weird. Don't get the concept.
Basically, people find an old photo and line it up with the background during the modern day. (I know, horrible description...)

For example, here's another one...
Quote:
Dear Photograph,

He bought this car when he was just 16. Then one day he drove away with his bride beside him on their wedding day. Thirty-six years later, after many years in storage, my father finished restoring the car and now my parents are thrilled to be driving it all around town once again. They are such a beautiful inspiration to their children & grandchildren and I will always be inspired by that deep love they have for one another. After all these years, I can see it growing stronger still… everyday. Keep on keepin’ on, and let the good times roll!

Love, Melinda
Attached Images

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
MadMax

It's a way to remember the past and connect it to the present day. Not that hard of a concept to grasp, and not weird in any way...
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
The original ones where it they matched up photos of post-WWII Europe with what it looks like now are really neat. I think it's a really cool concept.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Basically, people find an old photo and line it up with the background during the modern day. (I know, horrible description...)

For example, here's another one...
that is kinda cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
It's a way to remember the past and connect it to the present day. Not that hard of a concept to grasp, and not weird in any way...
Yea it certainly is weird. Taking the photo to begin with is weird to me. Not everyone lives their lives one photo at a time. I never understood people who went on vacation and instead of enjoying it hid behind a camera the entire time. People are all different, we are not exact carbon copies of each other. The only camera I own is on my phone, and I almost never use it. Not to mention not everyone wants to remember the past. Some would do anything they could if they could just forget it.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Yea it certainly is weird. Taking the photo to begin with is weird to me. Not everyone lives their lives one photo at a time. I never understood people who went on vacation and instead of enjoying it hid behind a camera the entire time. People are all different, we are not exact carbon copies of each other. The only camera I own is on my phone, and I almost never use it. Not to mention not everyone wants to remember the past. Some would do anything they could if they could just forget it.
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion; but I will say you are in the minority and that the vast majority of people would think you're thoughts on this would be weird as well!

I don't know about you, but I've been all over this world to some interesting places that I like to remember. I have photographs from places you've probably never heard of, much less been to; and I enjoy going back and recalling some of the details that have slipped my memory.

Maybe once you've gotten a bit older you'd understand, but take a little free advice in that perhaps one day you will feel differently about this, and the absence of any photographic evidence of some of the things and places you've experienced will be missed.

But if the subject of photography is so appalling to you, then do me a favor and skip this thread altogether and let those of us who appreciate it without any negative commentary!

Thanks! M2