Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #37
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
don't top off our cars anymore . Thanks to damage it can cause to the evaporator system . Here's a reason not to , www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2930.shtml .
But the charcoal canister is safe under the hood of my 1988 Sprint. There is no reason that a charcoal cannister should be vulnerable to topping the tank off... other than bad design. Why can't the canister be mounted above the top of the tank so that liquid overflow is not a problem? Why does the Yaris have such crappy, fragile, and poorly positioned fuel system components? Or is this, perhaps, just hearsay, too?

-Steve

Last edited by sbergman27; 04-15-2010 at 01:00 PM.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #38
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
But the charcoal canister is safe under the hood of my 1988 Sprint. There is no reason that a charcoal cannister should be vulnerable to topping the tank off... other than bad design. Why can't the canister be mounted above the top of the tank so that liquid overflow is not a problem? Why does the Yaris have such crappy, fragile, and poorly positioned fuel system components? Or is this, perhaps, just hearsay, too?

-Steve

it is hearsay. most vehicles have the same issue. fuel system components are
tightly designed and WELL THOUGHT OUT by very smart engineers so it
won't catch fire in an accident, yet still do it's job.

half the comments on this forum assume no thought went into each and every piece of the car, but the fact is: millions were spent on very careful analysis of everything, bumper-to-bumper. you want it different ? buy a different car, case closed.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 04-15-2010 at 08:04 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #39
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
...but the fact is: millions were spent on very careful analysis of everything, bumper-to-bumper...
Even more importantly, we build upon previous experience. We've been building cars since the late 19th century. To be sure, requirements change. But the EVAP system was introduced on GM cars, which are what I happen to be most familiar with in that period, in about 1971. The industry has had 40 years of watching their own and others' designs to get the basics of that system right. There is no legitimate reason for current EVAP systems to be so vulnerable as some claim.

-Steve

Last edited by sbergman27; 04-15-2010 at 09:27 PM.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #40
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The problem is that even if you don't damage the EVAP system by overfilling you're causing huge amounts of raw emissions to come blasting back out of the filler neck and right into your local atmosphere. These fumes are carcinogenic (cancer causing) to humans and toxic to most plant life, so one should not cause nor experience unnecessary exposure.

The auto-stop feature on fuel pumps is in place for a reason.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #41
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I would guess that it would be between 3 to 4 gallons.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #42
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
Slightly off topic. But if this is really true, is there some reason that a modern fuel pump cannot be designed to deal with this common enough situation without failing? You know. Like the fuel pumps in my family's 1956 Cadillac and 1964 Buick did? Like the fuel pumps in my 1968 Cadillacs do? Like my 1970 Ford Maverick? Like my 1988 Chevy Sprint? Why should the fuel pump in my new Toyota blow up if I happen to run out of fuel? Think about that. Do our cars really have such a poor fuel pump design? Or is this just hearsay? Either way, the blame needs to be apportioned properly.

-Steve
I use to have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The fuel pump went out around 25,000 miles. I use the run the tank dry every time before filling up. When the dealership replaced it(under warranty) they showed me the pump and said it was due to me running it dry. They didn't even have to ask.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #43
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
@sbergman27 - fuel pump

Actually your pump will not `blow up' as soon as you run it dry. However, it is then sitting in an empty tank with a little air, plenty of residual fuel fumes, and that is certainly somewhere that you don't want a spark to occur from the motor brushes or to have lots of excess heat.

Many modern pumps pull the fuel right through the pump motor and everything whereby the liquid fuel is helping to lubricate the pump and keep it operating cooler.
A 50's or 60's pump may have had slightly less wear or damage from running dry, but it would never have continued to be efficient at the 400K miles and beyond that the current pumps are doing.

The newer pumps are also 1/3 to 1/4 the size and weight of those old style pumps, which certainly helps in the Yaris.

By the way, I was making drafting changes to designs of GM fuel pumps of this type back in the late 80's, in my first engineering job. (while still in school) You can bet every component in a modern fuel system has been reviewed and improved dozens of times.

The modern pump is in fact designed so it can safely run dry...on occasion. But you shouldn't do it every fill up. The current design was optimized to extend the life of fuel system well beyond the vehicle life and to minimize weight.

I think there is a lot of really good design work evident in my Yaris for the money that I spent on it.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #44
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Analog will be always much better no doubt.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #45
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
You have a very good point, the shape of the tank can have a lot to do with imprecise gas gauges.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote