Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
JOHNTIFF11

Drives: YARIS
How to diy ac belt

My belt is screaming when ac is turned on. I was told it needs to be replaced but not going to pay 120 dollars when i bought the belt for 15. Just need some guide on how to replace it. pics would be a big help also. Thanks for time and any help you can give.
JOHNTIFF11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
rkvin21

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
If I remember correctly all you should need to do is loosen the bolt on the top of the alternator and push forward. It should just slide off after that. If anybody wishes to add or correct me please do. It's been awhile . Also you should mark where the bolt was so that you can tighten it back to where it was. I just went outside and took a picture for you.

You'll notice the red marker on mine that the dealership drew showing where it was when they got it when my power steering wasn't working. They tried to blame that as the problem but it turned out to be a failed unit(forgot what it was called) near the battery terminal. So make sure you make it tight enough so the dealership won't try and blame you for a problem if you bring it in. FYI and a mechanic was the last person to touch my alt not me
rkvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Do you need any special tools? IE: belt tension gauge or something? I know there must be some specification to how tight it must be.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
no should just be loosen that bolt (pointed to with red arrow in pic above) and get something like a crow bar/handle to the floor jack and leverage it against the engine and push the alternator out/towards the bumper to increase tension OR you can hit the top of the alternator with a hammer til its in the right place... sometimes these things A LOT of force, can't really hurt it by whacking it
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
no should just be loosen that bolt (pointed to with red arrow in pic above) and get something like a crow bar/handle to the floor jack and leverage it against the engine and push the alternator out/towards the bumper to increase tension OR you can hit the top of the alternator with a hammer til its in the right place... sometimes these things A LOT of force, can't really hurt it by whacking it
maybe use a rubber hammer or dead blow mallet as the alt housing is aluminum? hehe
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Sure! To get mine to move I also loosened the bolt underneath the alternator and sprayed everything with pb blaster
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
JOHNTIFF11

I loosened that bolt in the pic above and tried moving it and it wouldnt budge. The other bolt you referred to as loosing also where would that be located, there are several bolts that i can see looking down? Did you use something to move that might work better than the backside of a hammer? THanks for all the replies above. Just need a little more help to get this completed.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNTIFF11 View Post
I loosened that bolt in the pic above and tried moving it and it wouldnt budge. The other bolt you referred to as loosing also where would that be located, there are several bolts that i can see looking down? Did you use something to move that might work better than the backside of a hammer? THanks for all the replies above. Just need a little more help to get this completed.
The second bolt is on the bottom of the alternator. Loosen it and the one above and you can easily pivot the alternator (on the bottom bolt). No need for whacking. After you get the new belt on, just use a bar or hammer handle to hold tension on the belt, while you tighten the top bolt, then tighten the bottom.

The belt deflection spec is 7 to 8.5 mm for a new belt and 11 to 13, once the belt has been run.

Alternator.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
You just bought this belt, it sounds to me like you just need it tightened up some.

Is this the same place that sold ya the new belt???

Go to different shop and ask them to tighten the belt, DO NOT ask them to check the belt, if you need a new belt they will say so, if you dont they will tighten yours.

If you go in a shop and ask them to check the belt, they are going to sell you a belt.

These belts should be good for a long time, if it has been slipping a long time it might be bad.

Bad belts have cracks and/or missing pieces and/or lots of glazing (belt is shiny).
Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
NM miss read the OP.
Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Sorry, this is terrible advice. You most certainly CAN hurt an alternator by hammering it. Someone elsewhere said a replacement alternator cost them $700+!

As pointed out elsewhere, you have to loosen the base bolt(s) as well as the adjusting bolt on top - the alternator can easily be moved by hand then. Tighten to specs, then tighten the top bolt, then the base bolt(s).
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Sorry, this is terrible advice. You most certainly CAN hurt an alternator by hammering it. Someone elsewhere said a replacement alternator cost them $700+!

As pointed out elsewhere, you have to loosen the base bolt(s) as well as the adjusting bolt on top - the alternator can easily be moved by hand then. Tighten to specs, then tighten the top bolt, then the base bolt(s).
Yep........agreed and thanks Scott for the schematic. That's some of the most idiotic advice I have heard.....you can't hurt and alternator by hammering it?????? -- Sweet Jesus. Please stop working on your own car.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
THE LAST TWO POSTS (AND THIS ONE) NEED TO BE DELETED BEFORE THIS THREAD GETS TURNED INTO A FLAME WAR. I don't think they add anything to the topic at hand, just negativity.

I already stated that it would be wise to use a rubber mallet (if the alt) is stubborn.

PLUS Morgan did a retrofit charger on her car so please do not attack her mechanical prowess.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
How can you gauge the belt deflection spec? Is there a tool?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

There are tools called belt tension gauges. They are either generic ones that measure torque in ft lbs or in lbs or they are manufacturer specific ones. The mfg specific ones are calibrated for a specific amount of force. You press the spring loaded gauge against the belt and read the scale.

I personally don't own one. For something like the spec above, I press against the center of the belt span with one finger and look for about that much deflection.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
THE LAST TWO POSTS (AND THIS ONE) NEED TO BE DELETED BEFORE THIS THREAD GETS TURNED INTO A FLAME WAR. I don't think they add anything to the topic at hand, just negativity.

I already stated that it would be wise to use a rubber mallet (if the alt) is stubborn.

PLUS Morgan did a retrofit charger on her car so please do not attack her mechanical prowess.
They don't need to be deleted. Whacking an aluminum housing with a hammer, stating that it can't be hurt is just wrong. If you want to see negativity and flamming, wait for someone to come to this thread with an alternator with a cracked housing because they followed bad advice..

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
JOHNTIFF11

I apprecitate the pick CTscott. I got a wrench on it and tried to loosen it and the bolt will not move. I put a lot of force on it with no luck. i sprayed some stuff on it to hopefully free it up at little. Just to ask its not reverse threaded right? I hardly doubt it is but you never know. I just dont want to break the bolt head off. Thanks again for the people that are giving the good advice and help.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNTIFF11 View Post
I apprecitate the pick CTscott. I got a wrench on it and tried to loosen it and the bolt will not move. I put a lot of force on it with no luck. i sprayed some stuff on it to hopefully free it up at little. Just to ask its not reverse threaded right? I hardly doubt it is but you never know. I just dont want to break the bolt head off. Thanks again for the people that are giving the good advice and help.
Normal thread. I think the guy that torques that bolt at the factory sumo wrestles on the weekends.