Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
NAPA - Experiences

I have not been having great luck with Napa auto parts lately.

Last winter the starter on my wife's 05 Vibe finally gave out at about 240k miles. I bought a remanufactured one from Napa that lasted about 2 weeks. Fortunately it had a lifetime warranty and they swapped it.

I got a remanurfacted alternator for my yaris from them about a week ago and went to put it on and it didn't even fit correctly. I got the bottom mount bolt all the way in and there was still play. I checked the 2 bottom tabs and they had been machined too much from what I can tell so the alternator was not snug.

They ordered another one for me but it won't be in until Tuesday. As far as customer experience goes the NAPA by my job is terrible, but another one closer to my house has been very helpful.

This isn't a knock on NAPA, they probably don't even remanurfacture the parts in house, but just a heads up. Be weary of their reman'd parts. They are much cheaper than auto zone, advance, and o'reilley's, but maybe you do get what you pay for.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
All I can say about remans is that they did fit once correctly on the car. Finding good parts can be a challenge.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
All I can say about remans is that they did fit once correctly on the car. Finding good parts can be a challenge.
I'm picking up the replacement today, so we'll see if it's any better. It's hard for me to justify the cost of a brand new one, but I'm thinking it might have been worth it. lol.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I'm picking up the replacement today, so we'll see if it's any better. It's hard for me to justify the cost of a brand new one, but I'm thinking it might have been worth it. lol.
I agree with you on tje cost of a new one sometimes making reman'd parts and the potential headache that comes a long withbit worth it. This is one of the reason I buy used oem parts from a local recycler. It's only 2 mins from my house and theybtypucally cost half of what a reman'd unit costs.

The only issue I have ever had with that is an alternator that almost caught sire as it was full of grease inside. Returned it and got another oem used one with out issue. I should have known to not go with it based on how dirty it looked.

When I did my 2zr swap i used an old alternator from a corolla that went bad last year, in went another $50 oem alternator...still cheaper than a reman'd unit locally (approx $280)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I agree with you on tje cost of a new one sometimes making reman'd parts and the potential headache that comes a long withbit worth it. This is one of the reason I buy used oem parts from a local recycler. It's only 2 mins from my house and theybtypucally cost half of what a reman'd unit costs.

The only issue I have ever had with that is an alternator that almost caught sire as it was full of grease inside. Returned it and got another oem used one with out issue. I should have known to not go with it based on how dirty it looked.

When I did my 2zr swap i used an old alternator from a corolla that went bad last year, in went another $50 oem alternator...still cheaper than a reman'd unit locally (approx $280)
Will have to keep that in mind! I bought one from a wrecker on ebay for 45 that lasted about 2 weeks and the voltage regulator went bad.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'll have to stop into a Napa next time. AutoZone is the closest, so I usually go there.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Leegamer

So the next one was way too snug. Aaagh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post