Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Tyke

Drives: Not got one yet
Going to buy my first Yaris soon but which one?

Just sold my Citroen C3 Diesel, i only had it 6 months and just couldent get on with it.
I did like the £35 a year road tax and the 60 + to the gallon,
but i hated the way it handled and its flimsy build.
So now at the top of my list is the Yaris as i love its styling and that it holds its value and is economical to run.
Ill have about 7 grand to spend and im looking for one thats done about 20000 miles + or less.
The thing is im undecided on what model to get, i did decide on the 1.3 VVT-i TR 5d but its £120 a year road tax!
We also have a Citroen C1 which is really a Toyota and thats only £35 a year road tax so maybe the 1.0 VVT-i TR would be a better buy as that too is £35 a year and maybe even less come April.
Im 52 and love buzzing about in the C1 so will the 1.0 Yaris Suite me or will i find it under powered?
Ive never been one for aggresive driving and over taking all the time and ive never really owned a powerfull car but im thinking the Yaris looks heavier than a c1 and the 1.0 yaris uses the same engine so will the 1.3 be a better buy even though the road tax and insurance will cost more.
Ive not had a test drive in one yet but will be doing so in a the next week or so.
I only had chance to test drive the C3 for about 5 mins and thought it was ok but boy was i proved wrong, so im hoping i can take a yaris out for a good hour to get to know it.
Ive read lots of conflicting test reports and i honestly dont know which model to go for or if i should maybe get a Hyundai i2 !
So im hoping you Forum members can point me in the right direction on what to look out for and what model i should go for.
My main concern was the C3 had horrible body roll and hated being thrown about and bounced all over on uneven roads.
So is the Yaris a good firm handling drive or will it be as bad as the C3!!!!!
I dont want to get a second C1 as im wanting a better built car and one with more boot space.
Decisions Decisions!
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Tyke

40 Views and no posts.
Not a lot to say about the Yaris then eh?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Not too many european yaris drivers to be honest on here.... lol
we dont have all the fancy trims you guys have.

we have
3 dr hatch
5 dr hatch
sedan
and S models.

I suggest you get a hatchback... I think it's aesthticly more apealing from the start although the sedan does look nice when modified right.

either way you go Im sure you wont be dissappointed by the yaris.

:)

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
pawsplus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback
Yeah, I have no idea what most of your post meant, LOL. So all I can say is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 3-door hatchback (5-speed).

2010 3-door 5-speed, Meteorite Metallic
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
The other thing to note is that in the US, we only have a 1.5L engine. So I'm sure most of us don't know much about how the 1.0L or the 1.3L handles.

Oh, and what's a "road tax" that you pay 35pounds a year for?

Don't they have a diesel version of the Yaris across the pond?

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
they have the IQ and AYGO as well . They get all the good stuff . Ain't fair .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
"Road Tax" is what all vehicles pay in the UK to use the roads. You have a disk that you have to display showing you've paid it. You also need an annual MOT inspection, failure to have either can be very expensive.

Also, realize that in the US we our liquid gallon ≈ 3.8 L whereas in the UK they use the Imperial gallon (≈ 4.5 L), so our MPGs will be lower than yours. At least we don't have to convert to kilometers!

I was in the UK (Huntingdon) a little over a year ago and saw tons of Yarii, all five door hatchbacks. Opposite of the US, sedans are rare over there whereas they make up the majority of Yarii here. Also, we just got the 5-door hatch in 2009; and we don't have any diesel engines available. As DevilGirl pointed out, we only get the gas/petrol-powered 1.5L.

But the one thing I can tell you is that the Yaris hatch is a sweet handling car! They are not super-fast but I can easily pull away from so-called "sports cars" in corners. Add wider tires and a rear sway bar and you've got an even better handling machine. Folks here love to autocross them because the short wheelbase and low COG make it a great choice for that sport.

So, expect the Yaris to be light years ahead of your Citroen, both in handling and workmanship. I spent a lot of time in Europe during my USAF career, and never had a good experience with any French-made autos. You'll love the Yaris, I do and one of the reasons I got it was because it reminded me of the great cars they have in Europe and the UK.

Cheers! M2
Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Tyke

Many thanks for all your feedback.
It seems i really ought to be on a Uk forum .
In the UK we have that many Yarises to choose from it makes your head hurt trying to decide.
It is a good chunky looking car though.
Is chunky understood over the big pond?
It means big and robust
Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
There's a UK Yaris Club with forums that should be able to answer all your questions.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
There's a UK Yaris Club with forums that should be able to answer all your questions.
Also note that is from a person from Queens! LOL sorry couldnt help but notice
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Get a honda fit (jazz) or city :D

A bit safer than a Yaris.
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
Get a honda fit (jazz) or city :D

A bit safer than a Yaris.
Huh?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
QCS77Z
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 TOYOTA YARIS NCP90R MY10
I just bought a Yaris YR (Australia) 5 door hatch, 1.3L. I chose that model because its the cheapest, and that was the aim of downsizing from a 2007 Corolla Levin ZR. From what I've seen so far it seems great. Other cars around that price range ($15,990AUS) in Aus are pretty terrible.
I thought my Corolla was great, and this is just a mini version minus a few flashy features.
If you want cheap - just get the basic model. Thats my opinion anyway.
QCS77Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
Many thanks for all your feedback.
It seems i really ought to be on a Uk forum .
In the UK we have that many Yarises to choose from it makes your head hurt trying to decide.
It is a good chunky looking car though.
Is chunky understood over the big pond?
It means big and robust
The USA version of chunky looks like this humongous piece of crap.A lot of Americans subsist on a diet of Hamburgers and french fries and have a hard time fitting in to smaller vehicles..
Attached Images

jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
SpoCom2nr

Drives: Mercury Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The USA version of chunky looks like this humongous piece of crap.A lot of Americans subsist on a diet of Hamburgers and french fries and have a hard time fitting in to smaller vehicles..
Lol. That is a perfect example of "chunky" over here... I just ask... Why? Unless you have a family of 7 or a constructor... Why?
SpoCom2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
. gluttony is rampant . Be it food or oil as fuel . Here's an example , www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkOv0-u6A0&feature=fvsr .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
I don't know what choices you guys have but if you are looking for something really fun to drive and it's available then go with a T-Sport with the 1.8L.

If looking for fuel economy then check out the 1.3L

Never mind on the 1.8, just checked out UK toyota's website and it looks like you don't have that choice.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
I've read the 1.3 is the best balance of economy and performance. I'd love to have a 1.3l powered yari
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote