Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
germanairsucker

Drives: Yaris LE 2014
Radio 2014 Yaris

Just bought a new 2014 Yaris LE and I'm wondering if I can have Sat Radio in it?
In the left corner of the radio it's print (SAT RADIO READY)

TKS!
germanairsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Dealer would be the best place to get info on something like that.

Second choice would be a major retailer which does radio installation and deals with satellite radio.

I've never seen a radio like that; don't know.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
mine 2014 also said "sat radio ready".....however, when I contacted Toyota they told me they know longer actually make the receiver needed to put in sat ready units. I got many different answers from many different dealers (some saying $500+ for labor and install of receiver.

then there is this, directly from the 2014 yaris Brochure:

The Yaris (Model Years 2012, 13, 14) Tech Audio system is SiriusXM capable only with the installation of the correct aftermarket SiriusXM adapter kit. Toyota
Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., does not supply nor recommend a SiriusXM adapter kit. SiriusXM services require a subscription available only to those at least 18 years of age in the 48 contiguous United States and D.C. Subscriptions governed
by SiriusXM Customer Agreement, available at www.siriusxm.com.

WTF! why even bother mentioning it is Sirius xm capable in your literature only to then say you don't supply the needed gear nor recommend what the needed gear is?

I should add, my yaris (and I think all USA Yarii) now have this head unit along with the 6 speaker setup:

URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/user/roxy84_photos/media/images_zps8178ad7b.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by roxy1; 01-01-2014 at 12:26 PM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
I agree about going to the dealer and see about that info. Or if you got lucky and the owners manual should have the info as well.
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
We had an ICE Storm in Ontario and our Yaris was covered in ICE. I was surprised, well not that surprised, it turned on and drove. I had much respect for my car, more then before.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
germanairsucker

Drives: Yaris LE 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
We had an ICE Storm in Ontario and our Yaris was covered in ICE. I was surprised, well not that surprised, it turned on and drove. I had much respect for my car, more then before.
And did you have sat radio?
germanairsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Looks like our radio.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I dug hard into that problem when I bought my 2013. It is very expensive to add on the Sat option. I ended up installing a conventional sat receiver and input the signal through the AUX input. Works well, mounted just below the climate controls.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdkt7 View Post
I dug hard into that problem when I bought my 2013. It is very expensive to add on the Sat option. I ended up installing a conventional sat receiver and input the signal through the AUX input. Works well, mounted just below the climate controls.
^^^^^ This. This immediately came to mind when I read the original post the day it posted. I did this with the JVC aftermarket head unit (AUX input right on the Double Din face/front) I had in my late Mdl Yr 2001 Suzuki Swift (car before my Yaris).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdkt7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ This. This immediately came to mind when I read the original post the day it posted. I did this with the JVC aftermarket head unit (AUX input right on the Double Din face/front) I had in my late Mdl Yr 2001 Suzuki Swift (car before my Yaris).
im thinking he was talking about one of the Sirius external units that you have to mount somewhere....or is that what you are talking about? I absolutely do not want any external unit. at some point, I will probably swap to a in dash gps unit that has sat.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
im thinking he was talking about one of the Sirius external units that you have to mount somewhere....or is that what you are talking about? I absolutely do not want any external unit. at some point, I will probably swap to a in dash gps unit that has sat.
That's what we were talking about. Originally, that was the only way you could use one in a car. My feelings are just the opposite of yours. When they started integrating SAT units into head units, that had no appeal to me. I still have mine, but a couple of years ago (?) I decided to suspend my subscription for a year to force myself to get more in touch with local radio stations and I haven't looked back. I also don't want GPS in a head unit. I want tracking devices to be portable . If I could take the 'box' that the owner's manual 'scolds' not to tamper with out without impairing the reliability of the car (and if I knew how to do it ) I would. I already have my own way of doing things along those lines re managing cell and internet signals and access.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
roxy1

as much as I want sat radio in my head unit, I just wasn't willing to pay the exorbitant amount required to make it happen. that led me to search out the most unobtrusive way to make it happen, which led me to the xm snap unit. it just so happens the yaris power outlet is in just the right space to allow this unit to be out of the way of anything yet in a good location. $9.99 from Sirius with a subscription.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
chocolab

Drives: bmw
Looks like the 2014 Canadian radio in the OP is like the one in the new Corolla, right? Which is different from the one we got from 2013-14?

Here's my question, a little different... Does anyone know anything about who makes the new 2015 Entune model with the touchscreen, and/or how good the radio reception is? I know the 2012-2014 were made by Pioneer and the reception was really good. I listen to a lot of fringe stations so reception is important.
chocolab is offline   Reply With Quote