Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
lablancjc

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Fuse bypass on Fog Lights

Question. I have been searching for days. There are so many posts about fog lights I can not find what I am looking for. So here is my question.

I have an 07 s yaris with factory fog lights they are installed and work. However, they do not turn on until you turn the headlights on. Which is extremely lame if you just want light close to the ground (foggy or snowy). Is there a way to bypass this for them to turn on when you start the car (DRL) or when you turn on just the parking lights. Looking at the fuse box I see no indicator just for the fogs or I would just do a fuse bypass to something that turns on when the car turns on. Any suggestions or a link to a post I must have missed with this same question would be appreciated.
lablancjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablancjc View Post
Question. I have been searching for days. There are so many posts about fog lights I can not find what I am looking for. So here is my question.

I have an 07 s yaris with factory fog lights they are installed and work. However, they do not turn on until you turn the headlights on. Which is extremely lame if you just want light close to the ground (foggy or snowy). Is there a way to bypass this for them to turn on when you start the car (DRL) or when you turn on just the parking lights. Looking at the fuse box I see no indicator just for the fogs or I would just do a fuse bypass to something that turns on when the car turns on. Any suggestions or a link to a post I must have missed with this same question would be appreciated.
Yes there is
are they factory installed
or did you install them your self
are you using the factory stalk
way to many questions to ask before any answers can be given
on how to do it .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
lablancjc

They were factory installed. They came with the S package that was purchased. I am assuming it is the factory stalk. Any other info you need just ask.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
On the stalk connector, snip the orange wire in pin 4 (white if your car doesn't have DRLs) and connect the connector side of it to ground. That will allow them to turn on at any time.

For having them turn on and off with the ignition, like DRLs, you would need to add a relay with the coil fed by ignition switched power and the orange (or white) wire being switch to ground by the contacts.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
pictures of this "orange wire"?? lol i feel its way too much work to get at them to jsut close it up and come back on here....lol
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
pictures of this "orange wire"?? lol i feel its way too much work to get at them to jsut close it up and come back on here....lol

Ignore the parking light label. In this picture from my 09, the wire to ground is the brownish one to the left of the yellow.
Park Light Wire.jpg
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
yaris2010RS

lole, so if brownish wire (top left) is ground, which is orange?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
lole, so if brownish wire (top left) is ground, which is orange?
That's the wire you want to connect to ground to make the fogs light whenever you want them to. The white with a black stripe wire is a ground, or you can connect to a chassis ground.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
lablancjc

So when you say, "whenever you want them to" does that mean I have to switch them on every time I want to manually using my fingers. Can I not just attach the wire that turns them on to the same wire that turns on the parking lights making them turn on with the parking lights? And I will take a picture of mine and post it so you can help me out with this in more detail.

The picture you took is that under your dash (steering wheel)?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablancjc View Post
So when you say, "whenever you want them to" does that mean I have to switch them on every time I want to manually using my fingers. Can I not just attach the wire that turns them on to the same wire that turns on the parking lights making them turn on with the parking lights? And I will take a picture of mine and post it so you can help me out with this in more detail.

The picture you took is that under your dash (steering wheel)?
Picture was taken with the lower steering column cover removed.

Correct on this would allow you to turn on fogs manually (via fog switch) in any state (car on/off, headlights off/parking/low beam/high beam).

To have the fogs come on with the parking lights you would leave the orange(brown) position wire alone and move the yellow wire from the connector to the white wire pointed to by the arrow.

By moving it I mean snip it and tap it to the other wire mentioned.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
yaris2010RS

CTScott, man, your really good, u really know ure stuff, lol.

figure u dont hear that enough, keep it up
Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Of course, you realize that this is an illegal mod in Canada. Don't care? Fine, you can't say nobody warned you.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
yaris2010RS

its illegal to what? have ure fogs on at anytime?

i personally drive with lowbeams and fogs on 24/7 and as soon as this is proven to work (and i have some time) i'm gonna drive with jsut my fogs durring day. please inform us
Old 01-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
its illegal to what? have ure fogs on at anytime?

i personally drive with lowbeams and fogs on 24/7 and as soon as this is proven to work (and i have some time) i'm gonna drive with jsut my fogs durring day. please inform us
Well, as you know, the fogs are only supposed to work with the low beam headlights. If you modify it so they can be turned on separately, you're outside the law. Do it if you like, but be prepared to pay a fine if you run into a cop who needs to write a ticket for something.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
CTScot i have the opposite problem i have the ebay ones with the separate switch and i wanna know if there is a way to turn them on when i turn on the low beams with the stalk without using the switch?
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xen555 View Post
CTScot i have the opposite problem i have the ebay ones with the separate switch and i wanna know if there is a way to turn them on when i turn on the low beams with the stalk without using the switch?
The easiest way would be to first switch the fog wiring to the OEM method (i.e. OEM relay and fogs connected to connector B13 in the under hood fuse panel). This thread shows what I mean:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=diy+fog
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Well, as you know, the fogs are only supposed to work with the low beam headlights. If you modify it so they can be turned on separately, you're outside the law. Do it if you like, but be prepared to pay a fine if you run into a cop who needs to write a ticket for something.
wow, i never knew that..... thanks. i had heard soemthing along those lines but thought it was only for those super heavy duty flood lights (mounted on roof)

nvm about it then, really too much work for something thats gonna give me a fine..... lol
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #18
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
CTScott what type or relay you recommend for making the fogs DRL ?
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote