Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
Projector retrofit update!

Hey guys, finally got back to the UK and managed to install the projectors that the guys at black flames did for me. They look awesome of course but I have some questions about the alignment of them, they seem off to me and VERY low! Wondering if anyone has any pointers. I'm in touch with them too but wanted to get a few other pointers at the same time. The beam is very low on both sides and the left side seems aligned incorrectly, wondering what you guys think?

I've used the adjustment knob at the back and as far as I can tell it's stopped working and this is the final result. As you can see, not much distance.

Thanks guys

[IMG]
[/IMG]

The forever growing to do / to buy list:
FIX Projectors - FINALLY DONE!
XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
MOMO Revenge Evo X - Currently selling body parts for
Declare bankruptcy - Done
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Eren_13

Update: just seen inside the left side projector the shield looks like this. Any way I can adjust this? I'm guessing that's giving me the odd shape cut off on the left. Thoughts?

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Since it's bi-xenon, you could try clicking your high beam switch a few times and see if the shield levels out straight again. The only other option is to see if you can stick a pen or long rod and bring it down manually.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Since it's bi-xenon, you could try clicking your high beam switch a few times and see if the shield levels out straight again. The only other option is to see if you can stick a pen or long rod and bring it down manually.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a good go later on today (it's early AM here now) and will report back with the results. Maybe a noob question but is there an art to adjusting the height of the projectors with the up/down and left/right manual adjusters? One at a time as needed or both together until level? Only so I don't end up going all the way on one and popping the projector of the pivot. Thank you guys.

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Are you parked on an incline? If possible, park on a level road with a wall where you can use as a reference when you turn on your headlights. Park about 8-9 meters away from the wall and turn on headlights. Stand in front of your lights and mark your leg where the light line hits. Walk to the wall and that line shoul be about 10cm lower on your leg. The image on the wall should look like two horizontal "Z"s.

From your current photos, the right side looks straight but low, which is why i asked if you're parked on a slight incline. Sorry, I cant help you on the adjusting portion.

Edit: looking at it again, the right side doesnt look straight either. The whole projector would have to be rotated but it cannot be done unless you take the housing apart. You might want to show this to the retrofitter. I suppose its difficult to do a headlight retrofit without having the vehicle there.

Last edited by yarisugi; 10-02-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Eren_13

Yeah there's a slight incline on my drive, it slopes down toward the road, I'll find a spot nearby with a flat surface and wall to adjust. Thanks for the tips with the levelling. That's a real shame about the right side, I'll check that side shield too just to make sure that hasn't popped out slightly either. I can imagine it's a pain trying to retrofit without the car as you say. Hopefully it's a quicker fix, I'll send photos to them anyway so they can see. Thanks again.

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Yes, ask the retrofitter for advice/tips to help you out.
In the end, it should look like the picture on the right against a wall.
Good luck!

Photo from www.veloster.org
Old 10-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Eren_13

I think this is the best I can get it. The manual adjustment screws have run out of use and this is the final result. Better than it has been but I'm starting to wonder if the shroud is pushing up against the top causing it to stop getting any higher and then eventually popping out of the pivot point which has happened...the distance at the bottom is the best I can get I think. The cut off on the wall is a slight slope up but as flat as I can find local to me

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
That's a low cut off, not very helpful for seeing further than 30m in front of your car. I'd take it back to the retrofitters
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
That's a low cut off, not very helpful for seeing further than 30m in front of your car. I'd take it back to the retrofitters
Was afraid you'd say that. Problem is, they're in the USA, I'm back in the UK now. I'm in contact with them but there's only so much you can do via email though.

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Is the projector permanently glued to the housing in the back with epoxy or is it attached via long bolts with nuts? (not the factory ones) If it's glued with epoxy then you're out of luck, it's not going to move. If it's attached with nuts and bolts then there is a chance you can adjust them but that would still require at least opening up the back end.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Eren_13

It's fixed with epoxy :(

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i kind of wish i'd have built you headlights now....sorry you got a shit job

the lights shouldnt be epoxied in the headlights.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #14
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i kind of wish i'd have built you headlights now....sorry you got a shit job

the lights shouldnt be epoxied in the headlights.
Ah no problem man, these things happen right? Maybe I'll get it sorted anyway, the help on here is awesome too so that's always good to know it's here. Unless I'm mistaken I did think it was epoxied at the back. This is the back of the projector.

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Is that the mini D2S projector? If it is, then I don't think it's epoxied in. The end where the bulb enters is a threaded shaft. I think that black patch was put there to prevent the projector from rotating/moving. Anyway, if it isn't epoxy then there is a chance you may be able to angle it upward slightly by shimming it, but it would require some ingenuity and skill to work it in.

***warning*** don't unscrew that nut unless you're sure you can fix it. If you unscrew it, the projector might fall out of the hole and drop into the housing. Also, be careful not to overtighten or overtorque because the force might crack the cast/ hard plastic material that the projector is made of.

Here is a link for an older version of the D2S but good for reference since there are pictures. It'll give you an idea of what kind of projector you're working with. LINK

Whatever the case, I hope the retrofitter can give you some good advice.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #16
Eren_13

Yeah that is the mini D2S. They're the square ones but I think the back of the projector is the same as the normal one. Thanks for the tips on the epoxy. I'm really not sure what I can do if I do get rid of that epoxy, the thing hardly moves so I'm not sure what it has left to move.

It seems that the adjustment knobs have run out of use and eventually pops off of the pivot point so I have to reset them and put it back on, by that time it's gone back to it's low position again. The retrofitter is giving me as much help as t hey possibly can - as much as can be done from the other side of the pond...

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
Eren_13

Sad news: they're off the car now and probably going to make their way back to the retrofitters for fixing. Have no idea what it's going to cost to ship across the water but if it has to be done it has to be done. Even with the help from the retrofitters and on here there's nothing more I can do this end which is a shame, what I have are very expensive paperweights... I gotta thank all you guys for your tips and help, can always count on you lot to help out. Big love for Team Yaris World.

XB LED fogs - Done
Lowering springs - Done
Old 10-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
good luck....too bad you're having issues