Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
echo-francis

Drives: toyota echo
US postal box

I live in canada but I have familly in the US and i want to buy parts in the US with their address and go get the items there. my question is: will the customs charge me some taxes on a 500$ or more item?
echo-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
If you declare your items when crossing back into Canada, then yes you will be charged any applicable duties and taxes.

People use US postal boxes if they intend to sneak stuff back, and/or take advantage of free shipping within the continental US.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

People use US postal boxes if they intend to sneak stuff back, ...
Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Not this guy

I claim everything and always try to only bring back <$170 worth of stuff USD. They virtually never make me stop and pay for those amouts and I go over a lot.

There are ways to avoid claiming everything such as similar small parts or using receipts in a certain way. This is taking advantage of a gray area, but I'd never try to hide anything or lie, not worth it If you get caught. I know people who have and no more border trips for them...plus a lot of lost money in confiscated items. I've been randomly searched before on a whim.

Claim it and just pay the 13% on the CAD amount
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo-francis View Post
I live in canada but I have familly in the US and i want to buy parts in the US with their address and go get the items there. my question is: will the customs charge me some taxes on a 500$ or more item?
I think the official cutoff is $200 for one day. I've done well above that without being sent in to pay tax. Just claim everything; it is definitely not worth the trouble you can get into and you're still probably getting the parts cheaper.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
you need to declare stuff. if you get caught smuggling these days, itll be shit for you crossing for a lonnnng time.

you could declare it with a receipt showing a lower value...
Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
hodginsa

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 2DR Hatch
I declare everything every time. It pays off being honest because getting caught can screw you in the long run! Last time, I bought some expensive stuff for my truck, new leafs springs, etc. about $800 worth, I was only in US for about 25 minutes. the border person let me through without paying duty. Its really at the officers discretion.

I've done this a lot, and it can be hit and miss. I had one situation where I handed the guy all of my receipts from the packaging and told him the amount I calculated, maybe he was having a bad day but he said "Is this really it?" and I said yes, then again he goes "are you sure?" I thought he was just trying to catch me lying, but I wasn't so I said yes again. Then he goes, "I know you picked this up at a shipping location, you also have to declare on what you paid for them to take your shipped items. You have to declare everything." It was literally $10 extra on my $1000 receipts I gave him. So like I said, hit or miss.

My friend also tried to slip something by them with a receipt that was ripped(only declare some items), I don't remember why but it was like two separate receipts from a company so he ripped the bottom off. The guard was like "Where is the rest of this piece of paper?" and made a big deal out of it. Sometimes they will actually ask you to go though each item in your car to match the receipt. This has happened to a friend I was with as well. Not a big deal they just say "where is this?" etc.

With the US dollar being $1.40 last I checked do your math accordingly, its not always worth it, but most things are.
hodginsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
you need to declare stuff. if you get caught smuggling these days, itll be shit for you crossing for a lonnnng time.

you could declare it with a receipt showing a lower value...
I've done similar things in the past, or have claimed one item as part of another. I only do this if they are very small or inexpensive items. I've never had them ask me to show them specific items and match them to the receipts.

Based on what hogdinsa stated, I'll likely stop doing this just to be safe. Once you get caught its never a good thing
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
why don't you order your stuff, go pick it up, install it on your vehicle and drive back? or why don't you have your friend in the US ship it to you as a "gift?"
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
hodginsa

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 2DR Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
why don't you order your stuff, go pick it up, install it on your vehicle and drive back? or why don't you have your friend in the US ship it to you as a "gift?"
Since OP has family there, this might be a good idea if there is access to tools.

Another thing is, if you want to stay in US with your family for 48 hours then you can bring back $800 with no duty($200 if 24 hours). If you come back right away then you're only going to pay $65 on $500 worth of stuff. Just include it in your calculations.

Shipping US to Can is still expensive but if your family it willing to reship then its an alright idea. "Gift" option only works up until $60, and I'm done playing the game of chance not reporting the actual dollar amount of the items shipped. If that box gets lost, you get $60 from the shipping company, if that is what you declare. If its more than $60 than you will pay duty/taxes anyway.
hodginsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
SirDigby

you have to pay taxes on gifts? that's pretty messed up. in the USA you can receive a tax-free gift up to $14,000 from an individual, or $28,000 from a couple annually; or a lump sum of $70,000 ($140,000 for couples) once every 5 years...
Old 05-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
echo-francis

Drives: toyota echo
i love the idea of installing it on my car or i will stay there for 48 hours for the 800$ free of taxes
i would never try to hide it :)

here is what I want http://fastscions.com/i-23790029-wea...tegory:1203393
echo-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #12
SirDigby

uh....that's for a 2.4L tC.
FYI
(idk, maybe it's for another car)