Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
cwk8412

Drives: Yaris YRS 1.5L
Exclamation Air Filter

Does anyone know whether the air filter on second gen yaris will fit on the third gen yaris?
cwk8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
Should be exactly the same.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
ccyaris

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3 Door 5 S
Agree, K&N 33-2360 Air Filter the best, little pricey but reusable.
ccyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Yup, it's the same.

I've personally ran a TRD drop in filter from an ncp91 in my 131.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Is it worth it? Does it make that much of a difference?
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Call me crazy, but I felt a difference after installing K&N and resetting the ECU. Was surprised by what felt like it not being as bogged down under WOT as it was with the paper filter. Not quite as much as the bump I felt after installing lightweight wheels, but a similar feeling. Wasn't expecting it, but noticed it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
If the K&N filters are the same as way back when I used them, you have to be careful of how much you oil them. You can foul the MAF sensor.

Ask me how I know.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Captain Yaris

Over oiling them is one of the reasons that I've been hesitant about using the filters. Thanks for the input. Would you all recommend a drop in or go all out with the Typhoon CAI? Is one better than the other?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:45 AM   #9
ern-diz

Yeah, I plan to be sparing with the oil when I get around to cleaning it.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Call me crazy, but I felt a difference after installing K&N and resetting the ECU. Was surprised by what felt like it not being as bogged down under WOT as it was with the paper filter. Not quite as much as the bump I felt after installing lightweight wheels, but a similar feeling. Wasn't expecting it, but noticed it.
That's very interesting. I guess I'll just keep using the paper filters. Usually buy the engine and cabin filter from ebay for well under $10 for both.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
In my first Yaris, the K&N Typhoon SRI helped bring back some power/torque that I lost from my 2.25" custom resonator-back exhaust. Sounded great too.

On my Yaris now, I just have a drop in K&N filter. No power difference felt until I removed the carbon trap. Felt a tad bit more responsive, and my mpg went up.

On my FR-S, I have a K&N drop in filter. No power difference by itself. Once I tuned the engine with an OFT, picked up quite a bit of power/torque, especially around the torque dip area of the FR-S.

Got an Injen SRI for the FR-S. Car drove like sh!t. Would bog down if you WOT from a standstill. Car felt like it lost quite a bit of power too. Intake temps were 10+ degrees higher. Removed it after a week and sold the Injen, and went back to the OEM intake with the K&N.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
That's very interesting. I guess I'll just keep using the paper filters. Usually buy the engine and cabin filter from ebay for well under $10 for both.
Yeah, the car feels like it inhales a little easier now, but I'm still a little worried about the oiling piece when cleaning. Don't want to create MAF issues for myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
In my first Yaris, the K&N Typhoon SRI helped bring back some power/torque that I lost from my 2.25" custom resonator-back exhaust. Sounded great too.

On my Yaris now, I just have a drop in K&N filter. No power difference felt until I removed the carbon trap. Felt a tad bit more responsive, and my mpg went up.

On my FR-S, I have a K&N drop in filter. No power difference by itself. Once I tuned the engine with an OFT, picked up quite a bit of power/torque, especially around the torque dip area of the FR-S.

Got an Injen SRI for the FR-S. Car drove like sh!t. Would bog down if you WOT from a standstill. Car felt like it lost quite a bit of power too. Intake temps were 10+ degrees higher. Removed it after a week and sold the Injen, and went back to the OEM intake with the K&N.
Did you unplug the battery and reset the ECU after installing the K&N? Call me crazy, K&N doesn't say anything about it, but I didn't feel an improvement until sometime after having installed the K&N and then needing to disconnect the battery for something unrelated. I could be crediting the K&N for improvement that simply came from the ECU reset. Not ruling that out.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
Captain Yaris

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to try a K & N drop in. What is the deal with removing the carbon trap?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyaris View Post
Agree, K&N 33-2360 Air Filter the best, little pricey but reusable.
K&N air filters are shit.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
If the K&N filters are the same as way back when I used them, you have to be careful of how much you oil them. You can foul the MAF sensor.

Ask me how I know.
Not only fouling the MAF, but also letting in a ton of crap. I had one on a VR6 Passat, and it gave me nothing but trouble.

And no, they don't do anything for performance.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Yeah, the car feels like it inhales a little easier now, but I'm still a little worried about the oiling piece when cleaning. Don't want to create MAF issues for myself...

Did you unplug the battery and reset the ECU after installing the K&N? Call me crazy, K&N doesn't say anything about it, but I didn't feel an improvement until sometime after having installed the K&N and then needing to disconnect the battery for something unrelated. I could be crediting the K&N for improvement that simply came from the ECU reset. Not ruling that out.
Just don't go crazy when oiling. Get some MAF sensor cleaner as well and clean the sensor every now-and-then.

Yup, did that (annoying in the FR-S since I have to retrain the gas pedal to be more linear).

It all comes down to how efficient a car's OEM intake box and intake tubing is. I guess the FR-S just has a really efficient intake system.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #17
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Just don't go crazy when oiling. Get some MAF sensor cleaner as well and clean the sensor every now-and-then.

Yup, did that (annoying in the FR-S since I have to retrain the gas pedal to be more linear).

It all comes down to how efficient a car's OEM intake box and intake tubing is. I guess the FR-S just has a really efficient intake system.
Had mine for roughly 80k miles with no problem and have cleaned it every other oil change. No fouling thus far
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Had mine for roughly 80k miles with no problem and have cleaned it every other oil change. No fouling thus far
Yeah, I had a K&N filter of some sort on the first Yaris for probably 90k-100k. The FR-S' K&N has around 50k on it. No issues for me either.

Tags
air, ncp131