Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #37
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
Very interesting. As Americans AT definitely does help resale value (automatic is an optional extra, creating greater initial cost and value). I know some 50somethings that have never driven MT, I'm glad you have.

As a Motor Pool Officer, what did you do specifically and what do U.S. Army motor pool consist of? What do they buy in MT? Do you think that the MTs would be especially dogged due to having many drivers (and ones that don't regularly drive MT) or are most vehicles assigned to one driver for most of its use? Do you think a Motor Pool Officer in a European Countries' Army would say the opposite (conjecture, but due to Europeans buying mainly MT)?

You supervise the motor pool mechanics and get your ass chewed out for everything that goes wrong! My MP Company had tactical vehicles (M151-A2s) that were MT. We also had Ford Topaz and Chevy Blazer/pickups for patrol cars. Later on, before I got out, we got some Ford Crown Vics. The MTs had to constantly be rebuilt. I don't know if its fair to compare the M151-A2's tranny to a commercial tranny. They were constantly being rebuilt by kids who were hardly 18. The commercial vehicles usually had no problems but back when GM went over to the first 4 speed auto tranny, the 4th gear would burn out. The other 3 would still work. The tactical vehicles usually had the same 3 people driving. The Commercial vehicles never had the same driver.

Can't say what another country's military experience with transmissions would be. People are usually the same no matter where you go. Kids usually are drivers in the military do the experienced MT operators would not come into play.

As for maintenance, yea I'd rather pull a dipstick and check ATF in comparison to the unbolting check bolt and fingering gearbox, anyday.

What do you think about higher end cars (mercedes-benz, etc) that have the MT as an optional extra?

Never have drive one so can't say. My only experience is with American cars....oh yea, and POS VW Rabbit back in the early 80s.

I appreciate your position and insights as I've never had correspondence with someone who worked with pools of motors. Cheers
As a Motor Pool Officer, what did you do specifically and what do U.S. Army motor pool consist of? What do they buy in MT? Do you think that the MTs would be especially dogged due to having many drivers (and ones that don't regularly drive MT) or are most vehicles assigned to one driver for most of its use? Do you think a Motor Pool Officer in a European Countries' Army would say the opposite (conjecture, but due to Europeans buying mainly MT)?

As for maintenance, yea I'd rather pull a dipstick and check ATF in comparison to the unbolting check bolt and fingering gearbox, anyday.

What do you think about higher end cars (mercedes-benz, etc) that have the MT as an optional extra?

I appreciate your position and insights as I've never had correspondence with someone who worked with pools of motors. Cheers

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #38
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
I will say that if I move back to SoCal, with the many freeways and bad traffic, I will regret it, and will have to get something with an auto. However here in Pittsburgh, MT is the way to go. I just hate the artificial feel of the gas pedal and the slight increase in RPM's I get as I shift. Annoying. Other than that, I'm getting 39 mpg, so I'm happy. :)
Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
I will say that if I move back to SoCal, with the many freeways and bad traffic, I will regret it, and will have to get something with an auto. However here in Pittsburgh, MT is the way to go. I just hate the artificial feel of the gas pedal and the slight increase in RPM's I get as I shift. Annoying. Other than that, I'm getting 39 mpg, so I'm happy. :)
Before you pre-determine that you wouldn't like an MT in SoCal, you should try it for a while. Once you learn to feather the gas and time your shifting/accelerating, you may find that using an MT in SoCal traffic is actually less tiring than an AT. I do; I can't stand driving an AT in LA traffic.

I think the ONLY place I would not want an MT is the hilly streets of San Francisco; my guess is that clutches don't last long there unless you have a car with "hill-holder" type automatic brakes like Subaru used to have. Even then, who knows? One may get used to commuting with an MT there as well...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #40
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No way.

And as technology has been advancing, ATs are becoming more common, even in Europe. 10-15 years ago you'd never see them over there, when we took our 95 VW Passat over the Germans were surprised to see it was an AT. Now I see more and more autos when I go over there.

MTs are losing their small edge in performance and efficiency, if anything it won't be too long before they may disappear completely. In real performance cars they are getting rarer and rarer.

Enjoy your primitive clutching and manual gear changes, guys; I predict in ten years you're gonna be hard pressed to find cars with them!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #41
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
[QUOTE=MadMax;582897]MTs are losing their small edge in performance and efficiency, if anything it won't be too long before they may disappear completely. In real performance cars they are getting rarer and rarer./QUOTE]

My choice of MT has nothing to do with fuel economy, shifting speed, track times, efficiency, performance, etc. It is all about enjoying the act of driving. I've said this in other forums (and maybe here): there is nothing like setting up a perfect four-wheel drift after doing the perfect heel-and-toe through a corner. It is just so much fun and that is all there is to it.

So, I agree that new and newer generations of ATs will probably eventually outperform MTs in every objectively measurable way. But, unless they come up with a double-clutch, paddle shifter SMG system that can be overriden by a clutch pedal and four-(or five or six)-on-the-floor, I plan on keeping all of my MT cars forever or until the gasoline runs out.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #42
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Before you pre-determine that you wouldn't like an MT in SoCal, you should try it for a while. Once you learn to feather the gas and time your shifting/accelerating, you may find that using an MT in SoCal traffic is actually less tiring than an AT. I do; I can't stand driving an AT in LA traffic.

I think the ONLY place I would not want an MT is the hilly streets of San Francisco; my guess is that clutches don't last long there unless you have a car with "hill-holder" type automatic brakes like Subaru used to have. Even then, who knows? One may get used to commuting with an MT there as well...
I'm not pre-determining,,, I speak from having lived in SoCal from '05 to '09. I had my Festiva at the time, with a 4-speed, and thankfully I didn't go near LA very often. When I did, I had a long drive coming home to Riverside. However IF I move back, I'll have to live with the m/t and see how I like it. I don't generally like auto's, they never shift when I think they should, and driving is less fun. As I said the main thing about my Yaris is that weird-feeling gas pedal, but I see there's a fix for that.

As for hills: no problem for me, as I live in Pittsburgh, which is nothing but hills, and am used to it. The clutch in the Festiva was never changed and had 226k on it when I sold it, still working great. Having to traverse hills doesn't automatically mean the clutch won't last long; it's all how you use it. :)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #43
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
I love my Auto , the Yaris Auto transmission really performs very
well ,responsive and smooth.
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #44
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolos View Post
Amen!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #45
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
A t the best after a Dodge power wagon 11 inch clutch never again.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #46
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
AT YOU GET A BAD BACK YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #47
fj40dave

Drives: '08 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolos View Post
Me too
fj40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #48
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
the yaris is fine with an AT, but I couldn't imagine anything sportier with an AT. I drive an MT as my DD and don't find it bothersome even in heavy/construction traffic. Once you get used to it, its second nature. I strongly believe in having control over my vehicle.

and now...
to get on my soapbox....if everyone drove MT cars, there'd be less distracted/drunk/cell phone blathering idiots driving. it wouldn't eliminate them all, but its harder to do those things and shift at the same time!
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #49
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My GF has a AT , every time I drive it I have to sit on my left foot b/c 30 years of driving MT I am used to a clutch and when I go to shift I hit the brake pedal and WHAMMO , my freakin head smacks the steering wheel ......not pretty
Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #50
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartsmancometh View Post
the yaris is fine with an AT, but I couldn't imagine anything sportier with an AT. I drive an MT as my DD and don't find it bothersome even in heavy/construction traffic. Once you get used to it, its second nature. I strongly believe in having control over my vehicle.

and now...
to get on my soapbox....if everyone drove MT cars, there'd be less distracted/drunk/cell phone blathering idiots driving. it wouldn't eliminate them all, but its harder to do those things and shift at the same time!
Or actually increase the distractions since stupid people will do stupid things no matter what they drive.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #51
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
The ocassional emergency power situation is in favor of the automatic....don't always have that extra second to downshift to 2nd or 3rd. Haven't seen too many law enforcment with manuals for a few decades either.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #52
ecc_33

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
i regret not spending the extra grand for a automatic
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #53
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
The ocassional emergency power situation is in favor of the automatic....don't always have that extra second to downshift to 2nd or 3rd. Haven't seen too many law enforcment with manuals for a few decades either.
lazy north america has auto police enforcement, everywhere else in the world has all m/t police cars

better to drive, cheaper to repair and just a different way of life
Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #54
yours_falsely

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
i love my auto, but every so often i miss driving manual and wish i had gone with it. it's not an every day thing but it does happen
yours_falsely is offline   Reply With Quote