Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2016, 04:59 AM   #19
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
So I took the car back to the dealer I bought it from today to pick up the jack they ordered for it (it was missing) and brought the car to their body shop about the wheel liners and the damaged front bumper. The body shop said that the front bumper just needs to be replaced as well as both shredded liners. It's going to cost $850ish but the sealer is willing to cover $530 of it leaving me with a bill of $320. Not the best outcome, but it seems fair since this car did have the damaged bits when I bought it. Plus, I get some POS Chevy loaner car while they work on it. With how much the bumper and liners cost with paint, I figure I couldn't replace them myself for the $300 it is going to cost me... And I can't paint haha.

It will look a lot nicer without all the scuffs and so forth!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 AM   #20
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I owned a '87 Plymouth Reliant K. Bought new, was still running when I got rid of it in 2000. Only problem I ever had was a bad MAP sensor that left me stranded once. Not bad for 13 years. Oh yeah the other problem was getting rear ended twice, but that wasn't Chrysler's fault.
The K-car was such an awesome vehicle. It is too bad Chrysler didn't follow them up with anything that was as reliable or practical... One of the reasons I switched to Toyota products. My last Chrysler I have is a 1991 Dodge Shadow convertible with 56,000 miles that I bought from the original owner.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
So I took the car back to the dealer I bought it from today to pick up the jack they ordered for it (it was missing) and brought the car to their body shop about the wheel liners and the damaged front bumper. The body shop said that the front bumper just needs to be replaced as well as both shredded liners. It's going to cost $850ish but the sealer is willing to cover $530 of it leaving me with a bill of $320. Not the best outcome, but it seems fair since this car did have the damaged bits when I bought it. Plus, I get some POS Chevy loaner car while they work on it. With how much the bumper and liners cost with paint, I figure I couldn't replace them myself for the $300 it is going to cost me... And I can't paint haha.

It will look a lot nicer without all the scuffs and so forth!
Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #22
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Hit 40,000 miles today. Woo hoo lol. Been a busy day out being a taxi.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #23
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

So I got the car back today after the dealer had it for a week. Drove home and the bumper is now popping off on both sides! Any ideas why it won't stay clipped into the side holders?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #24
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Driver side

Passenger side... and when I pushed a bit on the front of the bumper it popped off all the way
Old 08-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #25
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
the passenger side front fender has separated ~1/4 inch twice on mine

like the zipper clips failed but it pops right back in easily

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 08-18-2016 at 06:10 PM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #26
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Your's came apart too? Odd. There were three more Yaris's (Yarii?) at the dealer and all three of them had issues with the front bumpers. Granted, they were all fleet cars so I'm sure they were beat but it was kind of sad to see. Fortunately, because of the trouble and the slight imperfections with the bumper cover I didn't have to pay the $300 they wanted me to.

Anyway, they "adjusted" it (most likely glued the hell out of it) and it is staying on now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Slightly unrelated note, one of the Yaris there was a 2015 that has the touch screen radio. I was excited because I want one for mine and I wanted to see what it all did. Turns out, it doesn't do anything special over my car's radio besides having a screen instead of a tiny display. I was hoping for a fuel economy chart like most Toyotas have but when you press the "Apps" button it just comes up with an error message saying Premium Entune Audio not installed or something to that nature.

Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 09-19-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Dodge Aries K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #27
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
the passenger side fender has separated ~1/4 inch twice on mine

like the zipper clips failed but it pops right back in easily
Don't mean to thread jack, but after seeing you remove a bunch of posts, I thought maybe you abandoned us. Glad to see you're still around.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
CincyC6

Drives: 2008 / 2011 / 2012 Yaris
Question

Great choice for commercial application. I am a courier and my 2011 Yaris has 278k miles on it with no problems at all.
CincyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:21 AM   #29
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Okay, so one of my biggest gripes with the car has been the garbage interior lighting. The rear seat is really dark at night time. Well, good ol' Farm and Fleet had these little LED lights for $20 so I dropped the headliner down a bit to get into the roof and put them in.

Muuuuch better. The back actually seems to light up more than the front. They go on and off when the doors or hatch are opened with the dome lights. Not shown, but I also added a homelink auto dimming mirror from a Prius so that way I can open my garage without a separate remote and the automatic dimming feature is nice.

Also tried to install a European leather wheel. That was a failure. Turns out the air bag mounting spots are square instead of round. At least I was able to use the Euro phone and radio controls without any modifications. Nice having the extra buttons on the steering wheel. I have a Japanese market steering wheel on the way that has the round mounting points for the air bag. I pray that will work, otherwise I'm out quite a bit for parts that don't function right haha. It has paddle shifters on it, but I'll be removing them since they won't do anything with my 4 speed automatic transmission, nor do I really want them on it anyway. Still looking for wheels online for the car, just haven't had any luck finding any wrecked 2015 or newer Yarii out this way at all.

On another note, I've put 4000 miles on the car so far. I was sick for a few weeks so I wasn't able to work but it's been great so far. Need to change it's oil this week.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 AM   #30
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Okay, so here's some good news.

JDM steering wheel works with the USDM air bag and the EDM steering wheel controls. Woo! So I have a leather wheel with telephone and radio controls. Hurray! Also, added a leather shift knob from some Lexus of some sort to the car which I think looks nice.

So now I have spare shifter paddle things that will fit a JDM or USDM steering wheel if anyone is interested in those. I also have a EDM leather wheel that's in really nice shape if someone wants it and can get their paws on an EDM airbag that fits it.

Oh yeah, I really did not like my 2006 Sienna so I traded it in for this...

It's a one owner (used to be owned by a doctor lady) 2008 sedan. It made me kind of sad in a way because you can tell that it's a better built car than it's newer sibling. Didn't overpay this time besides a bit from the difference of what I owed on the crappy minivan and I'm very pleased with it. It's for family/personal use versus the 2014 which is pretty much work only. Now, to modify some of the things on it that I'm not fond of like that garbage "integrated" audio system, icky plastic wheel covers (one is damaged), and yucky plastic steering wheel. I figure if I ever get my paws on the touch screen radio for my 2014, I can use the radio from that along with the microphone assembly from a wrecked car in the 2008 which would be awesome since I'd gain bluetooth and a better amplifier all at once.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
ern-diz

Nice on the steering wheel and shift knob. Very cool.

Double nice on double Yaris ownership! lol

Quote:
It made me kind of sad in a way because you can tell that it's a better built car than it's newer sibling.
Yikes!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #32
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Oh yes... this happened today. Got it for $140 shipped (more than I wanted to spend but... ehhhhhh...) and it was plug and play super easy. I like the functionality a lot more than the old radio as of yet plus it makes the car appear to be a little more "high end" than it is. Now I just need to find the "expansion module" so I can add Entune and the GPS. From what I found, I think if I buy a touch screen radio from a Prius C (which I found for a bit less than what I paid for this) and take it's module I should be good. We'll have to see at some point.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #33
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Well, forget the touch screen. The bluetooth phone call thing is absolutely horrendous. So much static, cutting out, and distortion that it's unusable. So back to the unit it came with for now. I don't know if the unit I got is just defective (probably, knowing my luck) or if all these touch screen units have issues when the phone is close to it.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #34
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Exchanged unit arrived and it works perfectly. Hurray... again haha. So yes, touch screen for me. I want to find another one of these units for the 2008.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #35
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

So a friend of mine got a touch screen radio for his Prius C. Borrowed the "Extension Box" and... nothing. It doesn't work with this radio even though it plugs in fine. It might be because the software was outdated but I'm not really 100% sure. After seeing the navigation system on his car now though, forget it. Horribly slow and unpleasant to use. Plus, I have to use my phones for navigation anyway due to the nature of my job. If I can get a compatible box cheap enough I'll do it, but it's not a priority in any way.

One of the nice things about getting the radio for his car, I was able to get a microphone assembly and a USB/Aux plug from a Prius C for my 2008 Yaris. Now, unfortunately I had to cut the cables so I'm hoping to be able to solder them back together for the aux and USB, but if they work that will be cool. Ended up getting the proper faceplate thing from a wrecked 2012 Yaris sedan at a junkyard for $10 so that was a good step in the right direction. To save money, I'll be using the stock radio from my 2014 Yaris in there. Just have to order the antenna adapter and then I'll be able to get the new radio installed into the car and add the microphone to the factory spot up by the map lights so then the phone will work too.

So far, the 2014 has done almost 8000 miles of taxi duty without any issues besides the rear carpeting. I'm currently fighting with Toyota about it but chances are since it's out of warranty they won't care at all. I looked at a 2013 recently (Japanese built) and it didn't have the same issue... which I told them on the phone... so we'll see if they'll at least supply non defective carpeting for the car. Otherwise, I've come up with a way to make it not be so bad if I have to.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #36
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
So far, the 2014 has done almost 8000 miles of taxi duty without any issues besides the rear carpeting.
Don't know how the Gen3 is assembled, but on the Gen2 there is a cable clip underneath the plastic trim panel running along the door sill. Incorporated into this clip is a little hook onto which the carpet looped.