Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Ilovemyyaris

Drives: Blue 5 door hatchback Yaris
So now that gas prices are low, who still practices hypermiling?

Originally I got into hypermiling due to high gas prices back in 2011-12. Of course this was also shortly after I got my drivers license. I thought to myself back then I'm just doing this to save money.

But now at less than 2 dollars in my area money doesn't seem that big of an incentive but I keep doing it. I think it's just how I drive now. I only remember not hypermiling when I was practice driving and shortly after I got my car and license.

Hell, driving efficiently is just something I drilled into my head. With the scangauge it's almost like a standard I want to uphold for myself as well. I recently lost a hubcap so I've been thinking about taking the rest off to match evenly and I realize oh yeah might increase my MPGs by a tiny bit... then that's when I started to think to myself hmm... why am I still concerned with getting high mpgs when prices are back to being low (or as some people say, back to normal)?
Ilovemyyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
So fuel there in US is under 2$ per gallon am i correct ???
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I filled up at Champlain, NY 2.399$/gal Sunday.

I beat the crap out of my Yaris since the last couple (3-4) years. Especially since I installed the HKSedan exhaust. LOL it's noisy and I abuse it most of the time overtaking or merging into the highway.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Well that is cheap there ..
Here in Finland fuel price is approx. 1.50$ per litre --> 5.67$ per gallon :(
EURO € and US Dollar $ rate seems to be almost equal this morning ...
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I never exceed 45 when off the freeway and limit it to 60 when on the interstate.

$$$ gas is coming back!

It's only a matter of time...
Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Gas is so cheap in Florida ($1.80/gal), that I literally can't buy enough to make use of the rewards. Funny enough, I have been buying Shell Vpower for $2.55/gal and it really has smoothed out my engine. I don't see much of a power increase but I figured that the added detergents will at least keep my fuel system clean. I've been getting 42 mpg with 70 hwy/30 city driving mix.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I keep it under 100 mph and get there as quick as possible.
Always have, always will.
It's only money and ya can't take it with ya.
$ 1.98 this morning, but, when I needed it/// was $2.03 somewhere else.
USA
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
2.17regular 2.59 premium Boston

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
just crazy

the average here is ~$3.20

you can get ~$2.90 at Costco

its weird buying gas again

tax and spend lefty ca

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 03-08-2017 at 06:06 PM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I don't go out of my way to 'hypermile', and I'm still averaging 40-41 mpg on my Scottsdale to West-Phoenix daily work commute, etc. Getting better MPG than I expected when I bought my Yari back in late 2015, so I'm happy.

On a side note, I never understood the logic of letting gas prices influencing your car buying decisions. It seems short-sighted at best, and probably indicative that you are living beyond your means, at the very cusp of your income. I recall reading somewhere that on a healthy budgetary plan, your monthly car payment + monthly auto insurance combined wouldn't exceed 9-10% of your gross monthly personal income.

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-08-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
just crazy

the average here is ~$3.20

you can get ~$2.90 at Costco

its weird buying gas again

tax and spend lefty ca
Yup, definitely stays around $3 here in California! That's why I still hypermile. I remember when prices were getting near $5, I would hypermile as much as possible. Just like the OP, these techniques are hard wired into my head and I've always noticed 99% of drivers on the road will do jack rabbit starts and slam on the brakes just before they hit the next red light. It's much worse in Southern California compared to Northern California.

Those folks probably only get 50% of what their rated EPA is. Not to mention it puts tons of wear on their brakes, transmission, engine, suspension, tires, etc. Rather than only thinking about the gas savings, we need to account for the rapid deterioration of many other parts of the car. It wouldn't matter if you were to switch cars every 3 years or so but if you plan to keep your cars until they get totaled, it would make sense to respect your car to some degree.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote