Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
New to me Toyota Corona

So a few months ago I decided I was tired of my bagged daily Yaris, so I started parting it out and perusing craigslist for another car. My ideas for cars jumped around a lot, but I settled on RWD and a Toyota. After a couple months of searching I came upon this 78 Corona wagon. As far as I can tell it has 80k original miles and almost all the original equipment. It was 320 miles from me, so pretty much sight unseen I rented a trailer and left at 4 in the morning and booked it down to GA got there at roughly 830. I looked the car over, assessed all the rust, and took it for a test drive (with the 20R ,3 speed auto, and 4.10's this thing picks up pretty quick at full throttle). Loaded her on a trailer and left around 10, but any time I went over 55 the Corona swung back and forth like a high-school physics experiment. Landed back in NC around 4 after infuriating a lot of people on I-40. She's really rusty; both front fenders and both quarters are rusted through, the body under the hatch is in a sad state, and there is a hole in the corner of the floor in the hatch, but the frame, floorpans, and pretty much everything above the fenders are spotless. For some reason the original owner took off the OEM rear bumper and welded on some square and round tube sort of like a drift crash bar. The only 2 things keeping it from being roadworthy are the carb is clogged with varnish and gunk, so you have to finesse the pedal to get it to move or it will die, and the fusible links are just stuck onto the battery terminal. Now onto some pictures:

Pretty clean front end with only a little rust.

Pass. side rust.

Nasty rear bumper, nice taillights and a dented hatch.

The horrible rust under the hatch. (Bonus oem spare)

Sweet giant dirt dobber nest on the rear end.

Drivers side rust.

Crappy aftermarket non-adjustable mirrors.

Meh clean interior, cracked dash and seats coming apart a bit, but otherwise nice. (bonus chevy hubcap)

Dash with everything that works. Missing the brake light though.

Working oem radio, and HVAC.

Decently clean engine bay. You can see the aftermarket inline fuel pump they installed that's triggered off the oem wire. Will probably relocate that later.

And finally the full family shot (aside from girlfriends '13 FRS)

Plans right now are:
Fix wiring
Fix carb issue
Redo all the brakes
Relocate fuel pump
Drive the crap out of it
Lower it (maybe, not inclined to cut the oem springs so we will see)
Maybe fix rust
Drive the crap out of it