Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post

All motor FTW.

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Spend several thousand dollars just you get your ass handed to you by someone who bolts a supercharger on!

On a side note. If you read the latest issue of Siphon you will see that the Tein Yaris uses a camcon II. They made 106WHP so perhaps its time to revisit that whole idea.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #20
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Just with the Camcon II?

What did they revise from the original?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #21
acrbill

Quote:
Just with the Camcon II?

What did they revise from the original?
They had a header, and pretty much no exhaust. They usually run a supercharger but took it off for the competition so there was a short stubby intake pipe with a large filter.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #22
ChinoCharles
Banned

I really need to get that damn mag. What is different about the second Camcon from the first?

Bill, this ones for you.

scion-xa-engine-small.gif
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #23
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
I really need to get that damn mag. What is different about the second Camcon from the first?

Bill, this ones for you.

Attachment 4201
Tell us more friend.. tell us more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camron.jpg (33.9 KB, 151 views)
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #24
ChinoCharles
Banned

They are still developing that ITB kit, but at $1000 less than the ZPI turbo I'd be a lot happier to get this. $2500 including a full, pre-tuned standalone. First of all, you can spend the $1000 doing a proper clutch system to handle the increased power. Second, you have more tuning capabilities because your extra power isn't dependent on your car hitting a certain RPM.

Actually, the guy who owns the xA that is being used to develop the kit moved to this after having a bolt-on supercharger and realized the supercharger had caused a bit of blow-by. Scary. He ended up having to buy brand new pistons and rings.

You could go turbo and internals on top of a setup like this for a Corvette-destroying Yaris. You're probably talking 10 grand worth of work, but who knows? Maybe we will see it one day.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 04-02-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
ChinoCharles
Banned

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_pr...itb/index.html

WEEEEEE.

Could this still be done on a drive-by-wire?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
interesting... very interesting indeed
Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #27
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Schweet!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #28
acrbill

I take back the "all motor sucks" comment. I was zipping around earlier and if you could get to say 120whp and change the gearing in the trans the Yaris would be insane fun.

I knew a guy with a old school VW and he had a trans from another model that had a super close ratio and a crazy high gear. Granted the thing would redline at 90MPH it was a blast to fly around in.

I was also surprised to find that even the stock Yaris can get some scratch in 2nd. It very well might have more to do with the crappy suspension but I was still impressed.

I know nothing of the Camcon II. No idea if it works or what changed.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #29
Black Yaris
der Zeck

someone find a bike that has ITB on DBW STAT
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #30
ChinoCharles
Banned

HAHA, I gave Joe the bug!

Ready for this? The new Yamaha R1 definitely has ITB's and DBW. The SV650's may have it too. I'll look into it.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #31
acrbill

The bike ITB retrofit to a car has been around for awhile. I know that several Neons where running around with them. There was a big problem though. No MAP signal since there was no plenum. The other thing is that the Neon had an aluminum intake manifold so cutting the runners down and fabricating a mounting plate for the ITB's was worlds easier than the Yaris since you will need to have a flange cut and have the short runners and injector bosses.

There a whole shit ton of reasons that this is a bad idea.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #32
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post

There a whole shit ton of reasons that this is a bad idea.
And another even bigger shit load of reasons it is a good idea. It just needs some R&D time on our car
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #33
acrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
And another even bigger shit load of reasons it is a good idea. It just needs some R&D time on our car
O yeah? Lets here the good ideas.

I guess I don't understand the motivation here. They aren't going to offer some gigantic HP gains. They will be nearly unstreetable. The stock ecu is not a good option for several reasons.

One thing to think about is how does the drive by wire system work? Is the gas pedal essentially the throttle position sensor? If that is the case then it might actually make things easier. All you would need to figure out is how to mount a throttle cable to the stock pedal, which shouldn't be too difficult.

I would look into building a short runner intake manifold with a plenum box. It should offer nice gains and retain driveability.

For someone who obviously has a tight budget for mods it seems odd that you keep wanting to blaze new trails. Inherently that means you are going to have a much larger cash outlay for unproven results.

I know several people who have had all sorts of fancy one off bits built. The difference is that they had a lot of disposable income, and none where happy in the end.

Also, if you are so hot and bothered to tune your Yaris you should look into building a megasquirt. Its right up your alley since its super cheap and requires more time than money to get the best results.

Once you figure that out then you can look into stuff like ITB's since you will have a way to make them work on your application.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #34
ChinoCharles
Banned

The motivation is simply to literally try and think of everything you could possibly do to this car. You have to know your options. Would the retrofit be expensive? Sure. Impossible? Nothing is impossible. Work with good mechanics and you'll find that to be the case. I appreciate your concern, but nobody is coming out and saying "hey, I'm doing this." We're just learning.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #35
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
They are still developing that ITB kit, but at $1000 less than the ZPI turbo I'd be a lot happier to get this. $2500 including a full, pre-tuned standalone. First of all, you can spend the $1000 doing a proper clutch system to handle the increased power. Second, you have more tuning capabilities because your extra power isn't dependent on your car hitting a certain RPM.

Actually, the guy who owns the xA that is being used to develop the kit moved to this after having a bolt-on supercharger and realized the supercharger had caused a bit of blow-by. Scary. He ended up having to buy brand new pistons and rings.

You could go turbo and internals on top of a setup like this for a Corvette-destroying Yaris. You're probably talking 10 grand worth of work, but who knows? Maybe we will see it one day.
you will actually spend $2500 for the itb's before saving up another $1000 and go for the proven turbo kit???

why would you do that? you can make your own itb's, of you can get the wiring figured out for less than that. why not get somebody to make a intake manifold and pair it with a bigger tb and go from there?
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #36
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
you will actually spend $2500 for the itb's before saving up another $1000 and go for the proven turbo kit???

why would you do that? you can make your own itb's, of you can get the wiring figured out for less than that. why not get somebody to make a intake manifold and pair it with a bigger tb and go from there?
Read the whole thread before you post.