Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Sharklet

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 C/C
Water Leak- Passenger Floor-Not AC problem

Hi - would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Have an 05 1.3 Petrol VVT RHD in the UK (so AC not needed so do not think it is a clogged drain!)
The Passenger floor is soaking - have checked that water drains from the windscreen ok (original screen). Floor Seals are in place and cannot see any leaks from Door/Passenger Window.

Have removed Glovebox and Carpets as far as possible (how difficult are the carpets to get out!) and run a water hose down the screen and after a few minutes can see water trickling down the angled panel forward of the passenger floor about 3-4 inches from the tunnel.

Have read somewhere that the AC/Pollen filter housing seal can deteriorate - any ideas how easy this is to get to and would this cause this?

Or any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Sharklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
there is an inlet below the cowling (at least on the 06+) that lets the fresh air into the hvac system...i would take off your wiper cowling and see if its leaking in thru there..
Old 05-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Sharklet

Thanks for that - will check tomorrow - if it ever stops raining !
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharklet View Post
Thanks for that - will check tomorrow - if it ever stops raining !
At least you don't have to shovel rain...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Sharklet

Finally think I have located where the water is coming in - a black hard plastic panel on the angled panel forward of the passenger floor - the white polystyrene panel locates on this via a peg.
Image attached; problem is what does the panel do? does it just clip out; presume the forward side is under the wheel arch panels. Will try some sealant around it, but would like to know what it is for.
Any clues ?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris floor panel.jpg (105.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
On our LHD US cars we have two white plastic plugs like that on either side. They don't go through to the outside, but lead to a cavity between two layers, so I assume they were access ports that were used to prime the metal.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
[QUOTE=Sharklet;644485]Hi - would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Have an 05 1.3 Petrol VVT RHD in the UK (so AC not needed so do not think it is a clogged drain!)
The Passenger floor is soaking - have checked that water drains from the windscreen ok (original screen). Floor Seals are in place and cannot see any leaks from Door/Passenger Window.

Have removed Glovebox and Carpets as far as possible (how difficult are the carpets to get out!) and run a water hose down the screen and after a few minutes can see water trickling down the angled panel forward of the passenger floor about 3-4 inches from the tunnel.

Have read somewhere that the AC/Pollen filter housing seal can deteriorate - any ideas how easy this is to get to and would this cause this?

Or any other ideas appreciated.

I had this problem with my wifes Yaris a couple of years ago. Check for leaves etc. which may have got into the heater. There is a small drain tube under the heater on the passenger side which goes through the floor. This was blocked. I cleared it from under the car and resealed both ends. Did not have any more trouble. Hope this helps.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I know there are flaps to expell air so when you close the door it doesn't just bounce back open.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I know there are flaps to expell air so when you close the door it doesn't just bounce back open.
Those are behind the rear bumper, under the tail lights.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Marcintosh

Drives: Yaris
THANKS!

Mine just started leaking so these hints are really appreciated.
It was always fine, no issues and then between one rainstorm and the next it started puddling on the passenger side. Luckily I've got WeatheTech mats otherwise I'd never seen it against the black carpet.
Thanks again AND thanks for keeping the posts available/searchable.
What a huge help.

Mark
Marcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
At least you don't have to shovel rain...
LOL. I've read a few threads on other sites with an argument about weather going on between someone in a U.S. state bordering Canada /or in Canada and someone in a U.S. Gulf Coast state. Each one is giving the other grief about the shortcomings of the weather in their area. Each of the few of these I've read has ended the same way....with the Gulf Coast person writing "At least we don't have to shovel humidity" .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote