Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
89GLH

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4 door hatch
09 HB Micro Image fogs question

I have several pending emails with them, first and foremost. Has anyone found a stock switch instead of the round switch I have to drill a hole in my dash for? The site shows this one, which is why I ordered it:

And what I got was a round one with a fog light sticker. Weak.
89GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The switch in your picture is the typical type that is included with the aftermarket fog light kits and what used to be included with the Micro Image kit. They are poor quality switches and required internal modification to make them work properly with the OEM wiring. The round switch is a higher quality switch which isolates the switching and the illumination (unlike the rectangular switch, which has them internally bridged).

If you would like one of the switches from your picture, I can ship you one, as I have a pile of them on hand from when we modify the aftermarket kits to build the plug and play harnesses.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
89GLH

Understood, I appreciate the quick reply! I'll hide this thing under the dash or something I guess. I didn't see any threads about how crappy they were. MI needs to throw a note up on their page, I could have saved a noob question :/
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
89GLH

I followed the instructions perfectly, and they only work independently of the lights. No clue why that is.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
I followed the instructions perfectly, and they only work independently of the lights. No clue why that is.
Which method in the instructions did you use? Letter "a" is the one for having them work in the OEM mode, where they only come on with the switch and only with the low beams on. Just to verify that we are talking about the same set of instructions, attached is the set I am referring to:

Micro Image 06-11 Yaris Plug-n-Play Fog Light Kit Installation.pdf
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
89GLH

Same instructions. It might be the lack of description in that document. ONLY the OEM default will turn off with the car, all the others power independently? Now they turn on with no key in the ignition, totally independent of the car. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not outlined therefore I wasn't expecting it.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
CTScott, might want to include the part numbers for those who want to have the fog light switch in the stalk.. like OEM.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
As a second opinion.. I bought an ebay type kit. Wiring was very straightforward (even though one has to run a wire through the firewall). The only concern was quality of the relay.
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
CTScott wrote the instructions, and they have successfully worked for many customers. I'm sure he can guide you through it to make the fogs light up the way you want them to.

I have changed the pictures on the website. When you didn't get the switch you wanted, you were/are welcome to return the kit -- but it's true that the round switch is better quality, and looks great when installed properly.

Seems to me you have passed on the offer of a free "OEM" style switch - yes? I'm happy to send you one as well.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
89GLH

Yeah, I'll pass on the OEM one. I greatly appreciate the offer. If this one is of higher quality I'd rather not be irritated down the line. This kit is perfect in every way. Fitment was perfect, where to wire and the quality of the components is top notch. My only issue was some of the wording, which was misleading (ever so slightly). I hid the switch in the fold out pocket under the dimmer switch, no big deal.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
Yeah, I'll pass on the OEM one. I greatly appreciate the offer. If this one is of higher quality I'd rather not be irritated down the line. This kit is perfect in every way. Fitment was perfect, where to wire and the quality of the components is top notch. My only issue was some of the wording, which was misleading (ever so slightly). I hid the switch in the fold out pocket under the dimmer switch, no big deal.
Let me know which parts you thought were misleading, so I can revise the documentation. Sometimes what makes perfect sense to me leaves others scratching their heads.