Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #37
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
I always reset my trip every time I fill up. But again, with the point that I already made, I don't look at my gauge every second. I only turn on the air conditioning when it is too unbearable to drive without it on at highway speeds. When not on the highway, even on the hottest day, I open the windows. But the higher speeds on the highways make it too noisy to have them open.

Do I look at my gas gauge when I get in my car and start it up? Yeah I do. I'm not an idiot.

I know generally how far I can go. On occassions it's a matter of I need to get somewhere at a certain time (usually an appointment), and therefore don't have time to stop beforehand to fill up. I know that I can make it there on what I have left in the tank. I just don't exactly when that last little bar starts blinking in the issue because I'm not staring at it while I drive. There are too many truckers on the road as well as idiots that you have to watch for.

I watch my speed so that I am not going much above the limit. I keep it to about 65 on the turnpike (speed limit = 65), and about 60 on other highways where the speed limit = 55. I don't need to actually "watch" the speedometer though to know how fast I am going. I can generally feel how fast my car is traveling by how hard it is working while traveling on either flat, uphill, or downhill.

Do I forget to turn my headlights on at night? No. I generally have them on before the sun even sets.

Anyone else have a dig at me just because I state my opinion that having a different style of gas gauge would have been better, in my opinion?

ok here is what u can do, try and find a heads up display that also gives u your fuel guage on it, then u can keep your eyes on the road and on everything else like your speed, gas, car temp, if not u will need to try and look at the dash, becoz when your car's temp goes up for what ever reason, you are going to blow your engine, and that would be worst then running out of gas, sometimes the distance u travel might change, if u drive or get stuck in traffic
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #38
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
ask CTScott to wire a 20,000 volt shock to your arse when the last bar blinks
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #39
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Create a direct link from the ECU to your cerebellum, preferably wirelessly. This will provide continuous real time updates.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #40
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
The Gauge Cluster tells you more than gas... If you're not checking it at least every 30 seconds..... you're wrong.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #41
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
probably.

it is not rocket science.

Toyota did all they could putting a gas gauge in that
blinks when YOU NEED TO GET MORE

no one can help you after that, except take your keys away

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #42
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
You are supposed to scan all 3 mirrors and gauges every few minutes.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #43
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
No offense, OP, but I think it's nearly impossible to run out of gas, especially in a Yaris (or other gas sipper). I don't constantly monitor my gas, but the flashing gas bar is very noticeable. 30+ miles to go when it's flashing is plenty of gas to find a gas station.

On a side note, I once had to drive home (about 30 miles) on a rapidly flashing bar, because payday was the next day. I drafted a semi at 55-60mph all the way home and still had gas the next day to get to the station... I love my Yaris

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #44
Fifthrate
Geek

Drives: 2007 Red 3-Door
Yea, it took a little time to get used to but I would always catch it just as the bar started blinking. The first time was harrowing until I realized that the blinking did mean I was low but usually I had around 12-15 miles left of fuel which was usually more than enough to find a gas station. These days I usually don't let it get lower than 2 bars.
Fifthrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #45
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
You are supposed to scan all 3 mirrors and gauges every few minutes.
+1. Most times I'm checking even more frequently than 30 seconds.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #46
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
Maybe buy spare Walmart fuel tank.

As for the OP, if worst comes to worst, have a spare fuel tank in the trunk, like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Gallon-F...Gauge/11071221 . But seriously though, lol its a gauge, you're being told how much gas is left, and it actively blinks when it's low. I don't think any car tells you how much miles you have left, that's impossible, because that is really dependent on how fast you drive/driving conditions. It would seriously be a palm face fail moment if Toyota has to recall the Yaris because people can't read what is essentially a bar graph.

Last edited by Thai_Dang; 07-04-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Thai_Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #47
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
everyone has good points but not gonna lie, i kinda have to agree with the OP. i have never run out and i prob never will.

the problem i find is ill look at the gas level and it will say 2 bars, then say a min or 2 later ill look back and it will be flashing, i personally think they should have put 10 bars or more in but its something to get use to

now on the other hand if u dont notice it flashing and flashing quickly for about 50km (thats usually how far i go on the flash) wtf were u looking at for that aprox hour on the highway? lol
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #48
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai_Dang View Post
I don't think any car tells you how much miles you have left, that's impossible, because that is really dependent on how fast you drive/driving conditions.
My Yaris does. It takes the average mileage for that tank and approximately calculates how far you could go with the said mileage. However, it's cautious, so when it reaches 0, you actually have some 20-30 miles to go.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #49
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
I usually drive about 450-460 KM'S before I re-fuel my Yaris - so that means I usually buy gas every 2 days - since my commute is about 250 KMS a day. That winds up being at least 50% of what it used to cost me to drive my 09 RAV4 LTD V4 the same distance - I rarely ever watch the fuel gauge - I do watch the KM counter though.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #50
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol. never had this problem.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #51
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Me neither.

I guess they could add a warning sound or something once it gets below a certain level, but most people at least check the gauge often enough to keep from running out.

Plus one would think that the first time you ran out of gas, it would make you more vigilant in the future. 3 times though is quite a bit.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #52
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
^^ hahahaha...
it should beep for 1 min for each bar the gauge goes down.

already people find the seatbelt beeping annoying.. geez. :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #53
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
You could try taping a suggestive photograph of your favorite model next to your gas gauge.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #54
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
Personally - after a month and a few days of owning a Yaris - I've given up staring at the gauges and tracking my gas mileage - I just buy gas every 2 days - usually $10-$15 CDN at a time.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote