Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
new headlight bulb

what a total fkn pain to put in a new bulb. total bullshit. Anyone figure out how to do it without taking out the whole case..??
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
You mean removing the bumper ... have fun. Or else bring it to the dealer.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
dinoman

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
i remember i had a heck of a time trying to get the rubber thing off. Esp. the driver side was really tough to get to. After the rubber thing came off, it wasnt too bad. i never tried it but maybe you can try this trick...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30584
dinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
I took it to a dealer in Idaho and they couldnt even do it though they said they could for 20$.
Shows what kind of idiots they are getting for labor now. I did it myself ok,took an hour.
I hope I got the spring clip on correctly. I put the points under those round indents.
Its a pain to work the thing without getting the bulb dirty. It has to be clean.
BTW the little push tabs that hold the fender on to the plastic substrate....they break when you pull
them out...can I get a packet of various size push tabs at the Autozone for this kind of use..??
I didnt have any trouble with the rubber boot...dont know why.. 325K miles on 2007 Hatch
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
I took it to a dealer in Idaho and they couldnt even do it though they said they could for 20$.
Shows what kind of idiots they are getting for labor now. I did it myself ok,took an hour.
I hope I got the spring clip on correctly. I put the points under those round indents.
Its a pain to work the thing without getting the bulb dirty. It has to be clean.
BTW the little push tabs that hold the fender on to the plastic substrate....they break when you pull
them out...can I get a packet of various size push tabs at the Autozone for this kind of use..??
I didnt have any trouble with the rubber boot...dont know why.. 325K miles on 2007 Hatch
Wow! Did you buy your car new?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
dinoman

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
I believe you had to pull the pin from the middle of the clip so that it wont break when you pull on it. The clips still won't hold that good the second time you use it even if you had removed it properly. I dont think the pins are that expensive even if you get them from the dealer. I lost ones along the top of the bumper near the hood latch, so i just bought a pack of small zipties from Walmart to replace them. The clips along the wheel well i didnt replace with zipties cause that will be ugly.
dinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Pulling down the front bumper is easy and fast once you've done it enough. After, you just remove the three bolts holding in the lamps And rotate the. So the socket is facing up. This way you can see what you are doing...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i changed my bulbs and a friend's countless times...i can change them in a few minutes..is that sad? lol.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
jess

Drives: 09 hatchback
Ya havta remove the headlights (three points of contact each light) One bolt access requires moving the bumper cover.

I have big hands that don't fit into tiny spaces. I was able to do parking lights.

Also the right headlight bulb rubber gasket shroud was pinned into under by the clip and was not gonna be removed without shredding it. From the factory that way.

Figured I'd remove my dinged bumper cover and mold out the ding with blow dryer at the same time I replaced bulbs. Bumper cover was pain in the ass to remove so I gave up and took it to a shop who said $50 to replace bulbs.

The estimator knew not of the Yaris issue with headlights. Took the kid 90 minutes to replace bulbs.

It would have taken me all day.

Otherwise at 130k for my '09 I luv my Yaris!
jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've never had much of a problem getting the bulbs out. The passenger side is super easy.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote