Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Marie

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 5-door
Unhappy AEM Filter + K&N Cleaner = WTH

Hello Yaris World,

I am regretfully embarassed to say that I do not know what the hell I am doing anymore.

Long story short, I ordered a K&N Synthetic Air Filter Cleaner for my AEM Filter. I followed the video instructions. I did not notice any dirt come off of the filter. How many miles can you go without changing the air filter? I was told 20,000.

Anyway, it is now approximately 30 hours later and my filter is still not dry. AEM is sending me a new filter apparently, but has not confirmed it with me yet.

I am getting impatient and I started using my hair dryer on it. Now I am worried that I am damaging it and dust will get in my engine if I use it.

And if I finally dry my air filter, and it is okay to use it, how long will I be able to use it until I need to replace it?

I am definitely planning on replacing it in two weeks or so, but I want to hear from someone that this is probably okay at least for however long...

Thank you for any information you can give me.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
To be safe, I'd just get a new one. All the things being done to your current filter will affect the quality even if it does dry.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Marie

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 5-door
Thank you Kevin,

I am getting a new filter shipped in 5 business days, so I'll replace it then.

The filter is dry, so I put it back on for now. Think it will be okay for a week? I have court tomorrow morning for a speeding ticket.

Thanks again for helping me out :)
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
assuming you had a regular oiled filter from aem, the k&n kit should be fine to clean it

the point of oiling the filter is that the moist oil will collect dirt particles....it won't look dry
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Mister Z

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
I don't know if this has to do with anything but as far as I know the AEM is a dry filter. Not oiled like the K&N or injen.
Mister Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Z View Post
I don't know if this has to do with anything but as far as I know the AEM is a dry filter. Not oiled like the K&N or injen.
i have an aem oiled filter sitting in my garage....pretty sure you can still get both