Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Befuddled

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Consumer Reports not too pleased with Yaris

Just got the new Consumer Reports. They were assessing budget cars this month. In the auto transmission category the Yaris came in 6th out of 9 and in the HB, manual category it came in next to last, just ahead of the Aveo. In the manual category the Honda Fit came in first with overall score of 75 (Yaris was 36)
Befuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Befuddled
Just got the new Consumer Reports. They were assessing budget cars this month. In the auto transmission category the Yaris came in 6th out of 9 and in the HB, manual category it came in next to last, just ahead of the Aveo. In the manual category the Honda Fit came in first with overall score of 75 (Yaris was 36)

WHAT?!?
What were their reasons for the low scores?

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Befuddled

Main gripes were no ABS, engine and road noise, driving position (and pedal placement) and sloppy handling at the limits.
They feel it would benefit greatly from stability control.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
littlecarlove

Do you know if it's on their website? (comsumerreports.org) I subscribed to that but can't seem to find the same write up.

Hays
Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Befuddled

The website is showing November as the current issue. This is in the December issue (just got it by snail mail yesterday)
Old 11-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Main gripes were no ABS, engine and road noise, driving position (and pedal placement) and sloppy handling at the limits.
They feel it would benefit greatly from stability control.
I agree with pedal placement... and if i could have spent $500xtra for abs, i certainly would have...

that being said. i drove the FIT and was prepared to buy it... but after sitting it, the thing seemed soo cheap. the yaris has a much better interior...

sloppy handling? i certainly didnt buy this car for its speed or handling capabilities...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
Who needs abs?

ABS is for people who can't control there own vehicle! And as far as the pedal placement I think it is perfect (I wear size 11 shoe) Maybe if you have 13 or 14 size feet then it would feel a bit uncomfortable, But then again if you have feet that size then the rest of your body would not probably fit as well in the car either. And as far as the road noise goes, I don't have any problem hearing my stereo at highway speed...And it's the stock piece of crap! That is what they should have bitched about..THE STEREO!. I drove the Honda Fit, and I thought it handled like a small SUV, The Yaris felt more like a Small Sportscar. Just my opinion.
bugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
What models did they use? top of the line Fit vs lower end Yaris? which would mean a 50% increase in initial price, and a drastic change in creature comforts. But they are right on with the pedal placement, its really killing me and making me really want out of it.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
esquiva
Noypi ako!

Drives: 07 S Sedan 5-Speed M/T
abs is for safety reasons...i agree about the pedal placement...the gas pedal is positioned so far to the right,and there is not even a reason for that...there is enough room for the pedals...
the car does not have very good handling but w/some modifications you could easily make it better

Nene jr.: tay, peram naman ng kotse o...
Boy Bastos: sige pero isang kondisyon. mag-ano muna tayo.
Nene jr.: tay meron ako ngayon e. blowjob na lang kita.
Boy bastos: o sige.
pagkatapos ng blowjob...
Nene jr.: tay, bat lasang tae yung etits nyo?
Boy bastos: ah ganon ba? hiniram kasi ng kuya
mo kanina yung kotse e!
esquiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris
But they are right on with the pedal placement, its really killing me and making me really want out of it.
The pedals need to be pushed back about 2-3"...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I'll bet the TRD shock absorber kit would add stability in corners and improve handling. Too bad Toyota doesn't offer a "Sport" version of the liftback; I think something like that would be popular.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
How is it that the Yaris has been SO popular in Europe, won awards, and is getting shot down by the "experts" over here?

I'm really starting to think that Honda is slippin' these guys some $$$ under the table to talk up the Fit. Spoiler kits don't automatically make a car sporty, nor does the Honda logo. I read a review yesterday that was the 1st to sound truly objective, and the reviewer said the Fit was "just ugly, ugly, ugly." Wish I could find that article again!

~YR
Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Well dont forget we only get the 2 door and sedan, lb doesnt have height adjuster seat or telescopic steering wheel which would really help comfort, you have ABS, EBD, BA, where as BA is not even an option and its near impossible to get the other two, you have more airbags, and correct me if i am wrong, but i am betting the side airbags have roll sensors, ours do not at any rate, and im sure there are alot other plusses, but those are 2 (comfort and safety) marks that are different and part of the reason for the low rating...i mean its a car, what REALLY matters other than comfort, safety (handling, etc...), fuel economy and versatility?
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
I bought the Yaris cause it's a Toyota!! Plus it's just a badass little car, Every car I have owned from G.M., Ford, Mitsubishi, Honda, Eagle, Volkswagen, Buick, Chrysler, Toyota I have been able to find something to pick on with all of them, There will never be the perfect car because no person is the same.
bugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i've driven my friend's auto fit many times, and while it is a great car, it sure isn't head and shoulders above the yaris,
but it is a chunk more expensive.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
littlecarlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugnuts
I bought the Yaris cause it's a Toyota!! Plus it's just a badass little car, Every car I have owned from G.M., Ford, Mitsubishi, Honda, Eagle, Volkswagen, Buick, Chrysler, Toyota I have been able to find something to pick on with all of them, There will never be the perfect car because no person is the same.
This is true - NO car is perfect for everyone.

If you want luxury there are many more luxurious cars out there. If you
want the safest car on the road, buy a Volvo. If you want a fast car
well, there are LOTS more to choose from. AND if you want more
gadgets there are still more to choose from.

I want reliability and economy at a low price. I think the Yaris is tops on
that list.

Hays
Old 11-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge
How is it that the Yaris has been SO popular in Europe, won awards, and is getting shot down by the "experts" over here?

I'm really starting to think that Honda is slippin' these guys some $$$ under the table to talk up the Fit. Spoiler kits don't automatically make a car sporty, nor does the Honda logo. I read a review yesterday that was the 1st to sound truly objective, and the reviewer said the Fit was "just ugly, ugly, ugly." Wish I could find that article again!

~YR
So Honda is paying off the entire automotive press? I thought that accusation was only reserved for BMWs!

You would think Toyota is more capable of that, especially since they have so much in cash reserves.

Face it; the automotive press simply likes the Fit more.

But if you are truly happy with the car that you bought, that should be the only thing that matters right?
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #18
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
This confirms my negative opinion of Consumer Reports. Just like sports teams, once somebody has risen to the top, publications such as Consumer Reports are so ready to knock them down.

Love the Yaris. NOTHING (so far) to complain about.

Hopefully we will get a report on what Consumer Reports did NOT like.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote