Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Rebirth of an Iconic Yaris

This is somewhat apropos for my 10,000th post here. Some, who have been around since the old days of YarisWorld will recognize this as ChinoCharles' Yaris. I recently drove out to Ohio from Connecticut to add her to my Yaris fleet. I have a buddy who really needs an inexpensive, reliable and economical second car, so the plan was to put it back together for him.

I had seen pictures of it, prior to heading West, but was still a bit shocked to see it in person. Charles had gutted the engine bay to prep for installation of a built engine, removed the fender and bumpers to test fit a wide body kit, and gutted the interior. When I picked her everything was in boxes or piles, so we stuffed the Yaris with what would fit inside and stuffed the rest in the back of my Tacoma.

Here's what she looked like when I picked her up:
Name:  Loading.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  212.6 KB

Name:  In tow.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  218.9 KB

Shortly after I arrived home and started unloading the pieces and parts I realized that the prior owner was a smoker, so I decided to completely clean the interior, including the A/C system to purge the smell. In the meantime I needed to pick up and engine and tranny for her, and decided that since my buddy's wife and daughter will also be driving the car, that I should convert it from 5 speed manual to automatic. I tracked down a low mileage (under 35K miles) engine and transmission and began amassing the parts necessary to do the MT to AT conversion.

While waiting for those to arrive I got back to working on the interior and while I had the dash apart I rewired the existing power window kit, added power locks, remote start with keyless entry, cruise control, and fog lights. The thorough cleaning of the interior went well, as I can not detect even a trace of smoke smell.

As I installed the new engine and tranny I decided to check the A-Arm bolts and ended up spending an entire Sunday fighting with one that was so rusted that it snapped. The MT to AT install proved interesting as besides changing the tranny, flywheel, shifter, shifter cable, and ECM, I had to add 19 additional pins to the ECM and wire them to the AT connectors.

This evening I finished the last item, which was purging and filling the A/C, so she is now ready for the road. My buddy is very excited as inside and out she looks like a new car:

Name:  Photo 2.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  299.2 KB

Name:  Interior.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  126.9 KB
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
It looks great. I hope your buddy realizes how lucky he is. Being your buddy, he probably does. I hope he and his family enjoy many trouble free miles .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Daunting.

It puzzles me, though...seems there's so much work there, and what with rust and all...I wonder how it would have compared to purchasing a good used Yaris off a lot or Craigslist.

Also, comments on the rusted suspension parts make me wonder. Is that going to prove a problem? My 2009 saw four severe winters and wasn't the worse when I sold it...but that was why I sold it. Take advantage of the high resale value. Is this something we have to watch for, that other Toys don't have problems with?
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Daunting.

It puzzles me, though...seems there's so much work there, and what with rust and all...I wonder how it would have compared to purchasing a good used Yaris off a lot or Craigslist.

Also, comments on the rusted suspension parts make me wonder. Is that going to prove a problem? My 2009 saw four severe winters and wasn't the worse when I sold it...but that was why I sold it. Take advantage of the high resale value. Is this something we have to watch for, that other Toys don't have problems with?
Even with all I put into it, his final cost will be less than half of what a used one would sell for around here. Granted that my labor in this project was pro-bono.

With the suspension issue, I truly believe that it is a factor of the road salt currently used. A California 07 with over 100K miles that I recently parted out barely had surface rust on its bolts and the bottom of the car looked it had just rolled off the assembly line.

This one had never had the bolts replaced and did not have the seam sealing done per the TSB. After spending time under this one with the subframe dropped I understand the significance of the seam sealing per the TSB. Checking and replacing the bolts on a regular basis will likely be fine, but the seam sealing with seriously reduce the amount of moisture that can get to the bolts.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Great work, Scott!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
once again just proof that with time, care, and attention to detail something can be kept from being scrapped. there are just way too many folks out there that are honestly too lazy and don't want to put any effort into anything nowadays. if this had been a resurrection of a 67 mustang or a 69 GTO you would be lauded with much more praise and no one would have said, "I wonder how it would have compared to purchasing a good used Yaris off a lot or Craigslist". I don't say this to be a prick, just saying it the way that I see it. maybe is is just in my nature as well to make something my own as I get asked all of the time why I have done what I have done and am still doing with mine. I could have just bought a hyundai genesis or Higher end mustang or something else. I have a shirt from Eat Sleep Boost that I love, "Built Not Baught".

spectacular work as always Scott and I am glad that I could be part of this journey.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI

Awesome work!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
once again just proof that with time, care, and attention to detail something can be kept from being scrapped. there are just way too many folks out there that are honestly too lazy and don't want to put any effort into anything nowadays. if this had been a resurrection of a 67 mustang or a 69 GTO you would be lauded with much more praise and no one would have said, "I wonder how it would have compared to purchasing a good used Yaris off a lot or Craigslist". I don't say this to be a prick, just saying it the way that I see it. maybe is is just in my nature as well to make something my own as I get asked all of the time why I have done what I have done and am still doing with mine. I could have just bought a hyundai genesis or Higher end mustang or something else. I have a shirt from Eat Sleep Boost that I love, "Built Not Baught".

spectacular work as always Scott and I am glad that I could be part of this journey.
Difference is, the Mustang or GTO are SYMBOLS.

The Yaris is a comfortable, economical little car. PURE...TRANSPORTATION.

No one is ever going to pick up a chick on the strength of the Yaris. On the other hand, no one on a budget is going to regret owning one.

But those are two different approaches, from opposite sides, of the transportation spectrum. Mustang equals IMAGE. Yaris is pure transportation.

The Yaris is the Pinto of the current era; except that unlike the Pinto, the Yaris doesn't pretend to quality; it IS quality.

It is what the Pinto would have been had Iacocca really believed in quality small cars.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Wow CTScott! How did you manage to keep this a secret?!! Looks like a brand new car. You literally know the ins-and-outs of this vehicle. Much applause as always.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Amazing work as always, Scott.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Difference is, the Mustang or GTO are SYMBOLS.

The Yaris is a comfortable, economical little car. PURE...TRANSPORTATION.

No one is ever going to pick up a chick on the strength of the Yaris. On the other hand, no one on a budget is going to regret owning one.

But those are two different approaches, from opposite sides, of the transportation spectrum. Mustang equals IMAGE. Yaris is pure transportation.

The Yaris is the Pinto of the current era; except that unlike the Pinto, the Yaris doesn't pretend to quality; it IS quality.

It is what the Pinto would have been had Iacocca really believed in quality small cars.
I think the Yaris is a symbol. A symbol of pure, quality transportation (to use some of your words). Also, CTScott will be able to carry around the gratitude I'm sure his buddy feels in his heart for the rest of his life......and that is priceless.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Even with all I put into it, his final cost will be less than half of what a used one would sell for around here. Granted that my labor in this project was pro-bono.
Scott... you are truly laying up a store of treasure in heaven for all of the good you are doing here.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Wow. As an old timer on here I'm happy to see a once great car saved from the scrapper and made road worthy again! Chino was the one who got me on yw back when I just got my yaris and we were on cardomain. This car was the inspiration for me to start modding my meteorite and Chino was one of the former moderators who nominated me to join the ranks of moderator. Amazing restoration and transmission swap Scott, hats off to you.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
It looks great. I hope your buddy realizes how lucky he is. Being your buddy, he probably does. I hope he and his family enjoy many trouble free miles .
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Great job!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
When I grow up, I want to be like you sir!
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
wow all that work put in. So thorough and it really looks off the lot new now.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It still has the manual brake pedal :P
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I think the Yaris is a symbol. A symbol of pure, quality transportation (to use some of your words). Also, CTScott will be able to carry around the gratitude I'm sure his buddy feels in his heart for the rest of his life......and that is priceless.
That it is and honestly it is also considered a tuner/sleeper in many parts of the world. It honestly has a lot of potential. Hell, iirc back when it came out in the US they said that it was faster through the slalom than a Porche.

Anywho, not to threadjack, no matter how you slice it any car that you can put back on the road rather than destroy it in a scrap yard is a plus in my book.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote