Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
steering Rack ends replacement how to

Has anybody done this before? According to the manual, the whole steering assembly needs to be removed. Is there a way to remove the rack ends without removing the whole steering assembly?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I had to have mine replaced at 40k, I suspect due to a friend backing into my car while parked behind her. Toyota did it, as I was still under extended warranty, and from what I understand they had to damn near pull the whole dash out, including steering assembly. Not 100% sure, again, since I didn't do it myself.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Kitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I had to have mine replaced at 40k, I suspect due to a friend backing into my car while parked behind her. Toyota did it, as I was still under extended warranty, and from what I understand they had to damn near pull the whole dash out, including steering assembly. Not 100% sure, again, since I didn't do it myself.
yep, that is the way the manual says it has to be done, but that's way too much complicated and time consuming. The rack ends are pretty much accessible, however, trying to remove them using a wrench is complicated due to the space, I guess that is why they remove the whole thing
Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
yep, that is the way the manual says it has to be done, but that's way too much complicated and time consuming. The rack ends are pretty much accessible, however, trying to remove them using a wrench is complicated due to the space, I guess that is why they remove the whole thing
I have replaced bent ones on wrecked Yaris. It is actually not too bad to do in place. They come off easier than you would expect.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Are you referring to inner tie rods?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Kitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Are you referring to inner tie rods?
correct, inner tie rods.

All the tutorials or how to's i've found refer to a socket type tool, which I can only find online but is not available here. I would get it from ebay but I need to have my car ready before friday. Any workarounds are welcome
Old 03-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
tmontague

You do not need to drop the subframe or remove the steering rack from the car. Go to your local auto parts store and rent the tool if you have that available to you. If not then order it online. The car should be fine to be driven until it comes in the mail.

I just rented the part for free from my local parts Source. It was very simple to do, I just turned the steering wheel all of the way to the opposite side I was working on which made it even more accessable. I used a zip tie to keep secure the boot back onto the inner tie rod.

Here is a video outlining the job really well. It's all I used to replace the one on my Echo https://youtu.be/05XOhz67jGA

On some cars you can get a wrench around the inner tie rod and you can avoid buying the tool. I inspected my Echo to see if that could have been done but to be honest I don't think it would be possible without the tool. Or if it is it would be a pita and take much longer then it needs to.

It's not a bad job to do on your own and everything is pretty easily accessible.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Kitt

After calling several auto parts store, nobody rents them, so I had to buy it. 45$, not that bad, considering that I can re sell it/rent it or doing it to other cars and earn some cash from it.

I was trying to get the pipe-like tool but this is the only one I found:

I'm doing a long trip this weekend, therefore I need to have it done ASAP. I also need to replace the dryer filter and the expansion valve from the AC. Hopefully I'll do that tomorrow after the alignment.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
tmontague

Hmm, never seen a tool like that one. Let me know how you find it works. $45 is a good price compared to the others that run over $100
Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #10
Kitt

Ok, so the tool should work fine, however, it comes in two sizes. I got the bigger one which does not fit the rack end. I'm going back to the store tomorrow to get the right one.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
Kitt

I got the replacement tool and was able to do the job. The new inner tie rods came with a washer but the original one did not. In fact, the manual does not even mention it. I tightened it pretty hard so I don't think that could be an issue.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
tmontague

Fwiw I never used the washers either when I replaced my inner tie rods on my Echo
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #13
Kitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Fwiw I never used the washers either when I replaced my inner tie rods on my Echo
yep, and I got confirmation from the shop, I took the car to get the alignment done and the guy told me it was not necessary on that car since the rack does not have the dent to put it.

Anyhow, as I said, alignment was done, car is back in track now!! I am ready for the trip
Old 12-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
kgoohs
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris
how difficult is it to replace a 2009 Yaris Rack? Working on it...
320K miles so far. going strong!
kgoohs is offline   Reply With Quote