Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Do I need to switch N position when waiting for Traffic Light?

I just wonder if switching the transmission position to N when waiting for the traffic light can use less fuel than I press Brake Pedal and hold on D position

THX
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_fh
I just wonder if switching the transmission position to N when waiting for the traffic light can use less fuel than I press Brake Pedal and hold on D position

THX
Nope, thats just a waste of time, at the contrary you'll probably forget to change it when green and just going to over rev the engine
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
A moot point. IMHO, whatever you choose to do, the effect on the fuel economy will be minimal.
If the wait is short, I prefer to stay in the 'D' position. In case of emergency, I can just step on the gas and go without delay.
In the case of a long delay, say for example, when an accident holds up the traffic and it is known that I will have to stop for quite a while, I will shift to the 'P' position so that my foot does not have to step on the brake for too long (note: on a steep slop, any long stop will call for the use of the hand brake in addition to anything else). Fatigue and loss of concentration can cause mishaps.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
No.
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamilR
Nope, thats just a waste of time, at the contrary you'll probably forget to change it when green and just going to over rev the engine

+1
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
It could even wear out the transmission faster,I never put it in neutral.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
motor will also rev higher when in neutral ;) not saying it really uses more gas to do so, but thats what it does :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I always put my car in neutral (I have an auto), I thought it was better for that. I only put it in if I know I will be waiting for awhile...but I usually have my hand on the shifter in case I have to put it in drive fast but I make sure I don't step on the gas too early while shifting and what not cause I know that's hard on an automactic.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
It does not hurt the trans to shift to neutral while waiting for extended amounts of time. But it's not needed for short stop light stops. Just keep it in drive unless your going to be sitting for a while.

I shift to neutral while sitting at the CAN/US border crossings for 20-40 minutes because it's easier on the transmission.

Think about it, when you take your foot off the brake it will move ahead without touching the accelerator, thats because there is drag between the clutches in the transmission. Holding it there in drive for extended amounts of time causes the clutches to slip constantly creating heat and wear on the clutches and breaks down the oil quickly.
When you shift to neutral it allows the main and secondary shafts to spin freely at matched speeds with no load so you eliminate the slipping.

But no you don't need to and no it's won't really make a difference on the fuel economy shifting at short stops.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
07WYarisRS, I thought the torque converter ("clutch") on an automatic transmission used the drag of a viscous fluid to cause the transmission side of the device to spin? Thus on D at low revs, all you are doing is spinning this fluid around, which would put some resistance on the engine, but it sould not wear anything out?

Or am I wrong and the Yaris auto transmission is using a clutch system like a manual one?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

BOTH

Automatics transmissions do not use a primary engagement/disengagement clutch like a manual trans does but they do use clutches.

With a manual trans you have a single clutch on the flywheel and inside the manual transmission is sets of gears, input and output shafts with syncros to switch gears

With an automatic you have a torque convertor on the flywheel is basically a centrifugal hydraulic pump witch acts like an automatic clutch as well as a high pressure pump to puch fluid to the clutches. But inside an automatic transmission is several sets of clutches and electronic valve body and bands that control the input to the main Planitary gearset. An automatic trans uses the pressurized fluid through the valve body to engage and disengage the clutches for each gear. When idling the pressure is low and it applies less pressure to the clutches to keep the car from moving. As you step on the gas the pressure builds up more and forces the clutches to engauge.
When you shift to neutral the valve body closes the piston that and redirects the fluid removeing pressure from the clutch.
All that being said the car is designed to sit at a stop in gear not moving.
but like I said shifting to neutral will not hurt and can add a bit of life to the clutches and fluid over time.
I usually don't recommend it because so many people don't take the time to shift slowly.
Just like when people are backing up and slip it into drive while still rolling backwards. That tears up the clutches. When shifting from park to drive or neutral to drive the shift must be complete with a second or two pause before stompin' on the gas. This allows the fluid do it's job and eliminate clutch damage.

check this out for more MUCH more detailed pics and information
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm

and a pic of a Yaris transmission apart. at the back of the bench(middle) is the clutch packs

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 11-10-2006 at 01:16 PM.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS

All that being said the car is designed to sit at a stop in gear not moving.

HUM, what do you mean it is designed to sit at a stop and not move? even if im on an uphill incline not moving if i let go of the break it will slowly start popping and driving forward up the hill. Def. cant let go of the break when im flat on the ground! so what do you mean by sit at a stop in gear not moving? in D and not move forward?
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

I meant you don't have to shift to neutral or park when you stop at a light ot intersection or what ever.
keep your foot on the brake and the transmission in drive. The transmission was desinged to be kept in drive with no need to shift out of drive to neutral when stopping briefly.

You can...it won't hurt it, but doing so is not necessary.

There is normal wear that will be accelerated buy constantly shifting at stop lights that you may otherwise never incounter.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
I usually don't recommend it because so many people don't take the time to shift slowly.
Just like when people are backing up and slip it into drive while still rolling backwards. That tears up the clutches. When shifting from park to drive or neutral to drive the shift must be complete with a second or two pause before stompin' on the gas. This allows the fluid do it's job and eliminate clutch damage.
When I back out of my driveway or other places (sometimes) I obviously put it in reverse then when I get going shift into neutral till I really slow down then shift into drive when I have to go, is that alright? I make sure I stop the car enough to shift into drive and not do what you mentioned and put it in drive when the car is still going backwards, sometimes I accidently do it and obviously the car jerks and I know this isn't good for the tranny. Or sometimes I have it in neutral at a stop light and I'm going up hill, I have my foot on the break obviously but let go of the break and shift into drive before the car rolls backwards so it doesn't f-up the tranny but sometimes the car jerks cause I let it go too far before putting it in drive.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #15
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

When backing up come to a complete stop, then shift to drive. i don't even recommend shifting to neutral while rolling back wards.
When you do shift to drive make sure the car is at a complete stop then when you feel the car put load onto the engine and then you know it's safe to go. This takes a second or less but doing so the transmission will last the lifetime of the car.
Jumpin back and forth even with the car rolling a little bit or jumpin' the gun kills the transmissions and is why so many people think auto trans are not relaible. They are used improperly and abused.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #16
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
So I've heard many people here with the 5-speed talk about how they put it in neutral all the time to save on gas.. For example, going down hill, or long before a stop sign so you slow down like that. Is this bad for the car?
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #17
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfront
So I've heard many people here with the 5-speed talk about how they put it in neutral all the time to save on gas.. For example, going down hill, or long before a stop sign so you slow down like that. Is this bad for the car?
With a stick? No.
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #18
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
not bad for the car, BUT, you only have the brakes to reply on, no engine braking, so down a long hill this may cause the brakes to fade, or in an emergency, it's always good to also ahve the engine brake to rely on.

Still, that feeling of just floating down hill silently is hard to beat!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote