Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
Yarisprobs

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Exclamation My Yaris has an intermittent fault

Okay so firstly I have a 2010 Yaris and it intermittently wont start after driving. It can be as little as 10 min or usually after driving 40+ min.

The car turns over but won't start and none of the dash lights turn on, but the radio and the lock/unlock function on the key still works.

It will usually start first go after waiting an hour.

I have had the spark plugs and leads replaced and still have the same problem.

Any help would be great
Yarisprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisprobs View Post
Okay so firstly I have a 2010 Yaris and it intermittently wont start after driving. It can be as little as 10 min or usually after driving 40+ min.

The car turns over but won't start and none of the dash lights turn on, but the radio and the lock/unlock function on the key still works.

It will usually start first go after waiting an hour.

I have had the spark plugs and leads replaced and still have the same problem.

Any help would be great
Fuel delivery problem? I'm relatively new to these cars, but it sounds like it might be a fuel pressure issue. I had a charcoal canister go bad in my older van and it caused a strong vacuum in my gas tank. It would starve the engine of gas - over come the fuel pump - and if I opened the gas cap, air would rush in and then the van would drive normally again. Just some thoughts. Other more knowledgeable will no doubt come on and help you. Best of luck.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
hot re-starts

+1
nothing confirmed, but I've commented similarly here how every Japanese car I've owned back to 1979, except this Yaris...yet, displayed occasional protracted-cranking hot re-starts. (In those cars, I think there was nothing about them out of spec, but I'm guessing this thread car may have something amiss.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
Yarisprobs

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
I'm thinking it will more likely be something electrical due to not having any dash lights when this occurs.

Have contacted a dealership but they want to charge $130 an hour to diagnose the problem, considering this problem only occurs every couple to few weeks this would end up costing more than the car itself.
Yarisprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisprobs View Post
I'm thinking it will more likely be something electrical due to not having any dash lights when this occurs.

Have contacted a dealership but they want to charge $130 an hour to diagnose the problem, considering this problem only occurs every couple to few weeks this would end up costing more than the car itself.
I interpreted "no dash lights on" as no trouble codes indicated by a engine MIL. Yes, it does sound like you have an electrical problem.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fault, intermittent fault