Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
DIY Camera Mount -- No Cost Version

Ok, I tossed my idea out to a few members and they have been wondering where the finished product is. Well, the first version was stolen, along with my Chocolate Milk from the Walmart parking lot....yeah, Chocolate Milk! But that's another story.

I decided to make another becasue the first one did not cost me much, about $10.00. This version didn't cost me a dime to make as I had all the parts in my garage and home. So, here you go, the no cost camera mount DIY that is easy to install and take out in under 6 seconds. That's right, "6 SECONDS".

Here's a list of the parts I used, and most of these can be found in anyones garage or parts bucket o' bolts of odds and ends.

Parts Needed:

2 -- Adjustable Shower Curtain Rods
2 -- Pieces of Angled Aluminum (may be angle iron, but the aluminum is easier to file and bend if needed, and it is lighter)
1 -- 1/4 inch threaded bolt (thread size may vary due to camera)
1 -- Washer (may need a few more depending on your application)
4 -- U bolts
1 -- 1" Rubber Grommet (left over from a project from one of my cars)
1 -- Can of spray paint (color is up to you, and what is on hand if you choose to do so)

Tools Needed (tools I used, but each will vary depending on what is used):

Drill
Hammer
Vise
File
Box End Wrench

Step 1 --- Gather and collect your items needed for the project. Like I mentioned above, most of these items can be found in the average Joe's garage or house. Just be careful not to use the shower curtain rod that your wife or husband just bought, use the ones they "ok" to get rid of or laying in the garage, otherwise it might end up "costing" you a night at a Hotel.

Here's a shot of the items I gathered in the begining

After I drew out a plan of attack on paper and found the parts I wanted, I proceeded to get to work

Step 2 --- First thing I wanted to do was start on the base for the camera to sit. My idea was to have the camera mounted in between both Shower Curtain Rods so that it could be easily taken in and out in seconds. This meant the mount had to be solid but also allow the camera to be raised up or down depending on the use for front video recording or rear recording.

Here is a shot of me shaping a piece of Angle Aluminum I had laying around

I placed the piece of Aluminum in the Vise and hammered until I was able to get the desired shape I needed to allow the camera to be mounted, but also allow the U-Bolts to be mounted and not interfere with the camera. Aluminum is very easy to work with so shaping it to your desired specs is pretty easy. Once you have your base finished, file off any burs that might cause harm. A second brace must also be made to provide the stregth needed to not allow the Curtain Rods to move freely. Photos of the second brace are below in Step 3.

Here is the finished base mounted on the Rods. Ignore the mounts for now, we'll get to those in a second

Step 3 --- After the camera mount was shaped, I proceeded to drill my holes that would allow the U Bolts to pass through and secure the mount to the Curtain Rods

Drilling holes. Using a center punch to mark your holes makes for an easy drill

Here's two pictures of the bottom brace I hammered flat out of another piece of Angled Aluminum

Step 4 --- After you have drilled your holes for both the camera mount and bottom cross brace, check the holes to make sure they line up accordingly to your design. Test fitting them now allows you to make changes if needed.

Checking U Bolts to see if they easily fit

Step 5 --- Now you are ready to assemble your custom brackets and U Bolts to your Curtain Rods.

Camera Mount plate attached to the Curtain Rods

Step 6 --- Mounting your camera for a test fit. I had previously measured the length of my bolt to make sure I would have no fitment problems. Using my rubber Grommet I found in the bottom of a bucket o' parts, I proceeded to secure it to the mount. I needed to file down the Grommet about a 1/8" to allow the threads to grab ahold of the camera before moving forward with this part of the install. Using the Grommet allows the camera to be secure enough yet allow for vibration control.

Camera mounted to mount and Grommet

Step 7 --- At this point, you are pretty much done with the project. You've measured everything, cut, shaped, mounted the camera. Now it's time to test it out. Since the rods are adjustable, getting it set to the right length is a breeze. You can easliy put this mount in under 6 seconds and take it out in the same time. It does not leave any marks on your headliner as well. This mount was designed for mounting between the seats just behind the driver. It can also be mounted pretty much anywhere you have floor to ceiling access or seat to ceiling access. The places you can mount this are endless and allows you to save time in the process.

Step 8 --- Painting is completely up to you. I chose to paint mine black since I had several cans of it on hand in the garage.

Painted Black

Step 9 --- Install and enjoy! There was a reason my Dad taught me to save bolts, nuts, anything that could be used again...here is the end result. It works well and I have a video to show how well. I'll get that posted tomorrow ASAP. It didn't cost me a dime, and I was able to reuse parts that were just taking up space. It was fun and I hope this helps in anyones quest to do something similar. The end result might not be exact for everyone, but the end result is a solid mount that works well, easy to put in and take out, and doesn't look half bad. Thanks for reading.

Mike

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 08-24-2009 at 10:34 AM.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote