Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Angry Question on deposit

Maybe someone can help with this question. If you make a deposit with a dealer, sign nothing, dealer says they will refund if they can't get the car. The dealer fails to meet commitment 2 times (this is not a special order car), then tells you they can't get even a manual vs auto tran, is there any legal reason why you shouldn't be able to get your deposit back?
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Nope. It is your money. I hope you got a receipt.

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
Yup I agree, bring the receipt and you'll be all set. I wound up buying mine elsewhere and needed to retrieve my deposit. After some grumbling then about five minutes of standing there for the salesman to return. I headed outside where another salesman was with some customers looking at my Rena (the Yaris)…..suddenly my salesman was by my side with the refund. Funny thing is I was just going out to show them the car! Still did actually.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I agree
no reason to not get a full refund back.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
SimplyYaris

Thanks for your responses. I was first told no refunds(one of many lies) when I called the first time, but armed with more knowledge the salesman quickly reversed their position. I won't name this dealer, but I will highly recommend the fleet/internet dept. at Right Toyota in N Scottsdale, AZ.
(If you want to know who to stay away from, contact me and I will share this info.)

Thanks again all.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You still might want to write a quick letter to your state Consumer Affairs office. They keep track of things like that.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
Revenge

Do your home work! Contact radio stations, TV stations, Better biz bureau, bureau of consumer affairs, State attorney generals office, Toyota HQ. All car magazines, Talk to an attorney from SCORE service core of retired executives for free. You can sent them a certified letter, Authorization to file suit!. Its a form that states the problem and lets them have an opportunity to sign a paper that says they are not going to pay you. Then a spot for reason.

I got many copies from my attorney, sure you can find one on the web. My attorney always said if your gonna fight, USE ALL YOUR RESOUCES AT ONCE.
sorta like fire all guns. Then they know your not playing. Even if a tv station rejects the story you can still says you have contacted several tv stations.

Nothing pisses me off more than when they take advantage of people. Oh I like to mention punitive damages! $$ so you may be able to cover all your time!
I like to mention that I'm a member of yaris world also! seems like they dont like you telling others!

Last edited by fred812; 11-11-2006 at 11:44 AM.
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
JeffRapp

Drives: Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
The first dealership I went to let me by with a $0 deposit (they just made a photocopy of my debit card), since the car was on its way in. It wasn't the one I wanted, I really just wanted to test drive it. The salesman was my best friend until I told him I wasn't gonna take it. When he came back from getting the copy of my card, I asked him if I could order one. He said it wasn't possible, so I grilled him on it. He went and talked to his manager, and came back and said sure, but the $500 deposit would be non-refundable. Needless to say, I went elsewhere. They did a special order and offered to refund my deposit up front if I wasn't happy.
JeffRapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyYaris
Thanks for your responses. I was first told no refunds(one of many lies) when I called the first time, but armed with more knowledge the salesman quickly reversed their position. I won't name this dealer, but I will highly recommend the fleet/internet dept. at Right Toyota in N Scottsdale, AZ.
(If you want to know who to stay away from, contact me and I will share this info.)

Thanks again all.

There isn't non-refundable deposit, unless it state on your recipt.
Anyway, on any usual order or purchase contract. It will say if buyer fail to deliver the car, dealer can take x% of the purchase price of the car. But usually no dealer will do that, unless it is an odd order (very hard to sell one)
Other than that, they fail you two times. So what is the deposit for? For the first order or the second or.. the n times order?
So, go back and tell them to give you a check right now, otherwise prepared for letter from your attorney.

Let's fight back!!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
skc

Drives: White5drRS
in ur case, you should get ur money back without problem.
like u said its not a special order car and it's not ur problem that they can't find the car u wanted.
do what fred812 said bring it up to public if they don't refund ur money.
revenge time
skc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyYaris

Thanks again all.
I say you should call them out. Go ahead and put their name out here for all to see. If they tried to rip you off, they might actually get away with it on the next guy.
You're not being slanderous if you are telling the truth.
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
You were probably at Camelback Toyota. They are pretty slimy there. Unfortunately, they have one of the largest inventories, and will not trade with any other dealers. They had the car I wanted, but I waited a month and bought elsewhere.

I would recommend filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, Arizona Automobile Dealers Association (AADA), and also let Toyota know. You will get results.

I purchased my car from Luther in fleet at Right Toyota. He was great. I also purchased an 07 Camry from him last week for my mom. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a Toyota. Who was your salesperson?
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #13
SimplyYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
I say you should call them out. Go ahead and put their name out here for all to see. If they tried to rip you off, they might actually get away with it on the next guy.
You're not being slanderous if you are telling the truth.
OK, it was Larry Miller Toyota, sounds like we have a couple of winners when it comes to being less than forthright (yes, I am being kind)
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
SimplyYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretsuaz
You were probably at Camelback Toyota. They are pretty slimy there. Unfortunately, they have one of the largest inventories, and will not trade with any other dealers. They had the car I wanted, but I waited a month and bought elsewhere.

I would recommend filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, Arizona Automobile Dealers Association (AADA), and also let Toyota know. You will get results.

I purchased my car from Luther in fleet at Right Toyota. He was great. I also purchased an 07 Camry from him last week for my mom. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a Toyota. Who was your salesperson?
I dealt with Brad Pringle mostly, then Max Monsanto when I picked up my car as Brad happened to be out. Both easy to deal with - no pressure, etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #15
SimplyYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
Nope. It is your money. I hope you got a receipt.

Hays

Deposit refunded. Thanks for all your inputs. I love this forum!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
good to know!!

i never gave any input on my experiences...

in Montreal (not sure about the rest of Canada), we sign a contract and leave a deposit. the contract does not put you into any obligation of buying the car. it's just a deposit, and the contract is to reserve the car for you. as nobody will touch it untill you really buy it. You also preserve any promotions that were available at the moment of the contract even if that promotion has ended at the moment you decide to BUY the car. A full refund of the deposit is entitled if you ever don't want to buy that car anymore...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #17
SimplyYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
good to know!!

i never gave any input on my experiences...

in Montreal (not sure about the rest of Canada), we sign a contract and leave a deposit. the contract does not put you into any obligation of buying the car. it's just a deposit, and the contract is to reserve the car for you. as nobody will touch it untill you really buy it. You also preserve any promotions that were available at the moment of the contract even if that promotion has ended at the moment you decide to BUY the car. A full refund of the deposit is entitled if you ever don't want to buy that car anymore...
This is the way it should be done everywhere instead of the buyer beware mode we have to operate under down here.