Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Post FJ Cruiser

I've never owned a SUV, 4X4, 4 Wheel Drive vehicle before. Ever since my latest trip to CA i've been thinking of trading in my Yaris for a SUV. I haven't test driven anything, but I do know i like the idea of the drivers seat being at the same height as my ass so all you do is just plant your butt and slide your legs in.

Also the idea of having some ground clearance appeals to me. Driving in that elevated seated position also appeals to me.

So I was originally thinking of getting a Ute (Pickup Truck). But now I was browsing the Toyota Australia website and came across the FJ Cruiser.

Anyway they release this model in about 40 days. I would like to get your advice on SUV's as i've never owned or driven one and i'm seriously thinking about getting this.

Check out the brochure i've attached and if you want anymore info clicky here
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fj-crusier-saver.pdf (503.6 KB, 18 views)

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
always been a fan of the FJ.. just always been out of my budget. i had a tacoma 4dr prerunner and i enjoyed it. had to trade it in for something smaller (enter the yaris) and easy on the monthy payments. no more roomates is expensive.

i say FJ is a good choice. do it!
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
always been a fan of the FJ.. just always been out of my budget. i had a tacoma 4dr prerunner and i enjoyed it. had to trade it in for something smaller (enter the yaris) and easy on the monthy payments. no more roomates is expensive.

i say FJ is a good choice. do it!
Thanks man Thinking about it, seriously.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I love the looks of the FJ. The only negative is the gas mileage, which is just a wee bit better than my Xterra.

The FJ actually even share a few parts with the Yaris. I have sold few couple of my Passenger Occupancy Sensor Bypass Modules to people with FJs, who have switched to aftermarket seats for serious off-roading.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I love the looks of the FJ. The only negative is the gas mileage
+1
We traded my Passat for an FJ & the Yaris, I used it couple of months, I let my mom have it cause of the terrible gas milage, I use it sometimes but I hate watching the fuel gauge going to empty before a round trip.

Besides the bad MPG I Love It!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Get a Jeep.

I've wheeled with FJs and while they are capable vehicles offroad, I would hate to take something that expensive and beat the hell out of it. My Jeep, on the other hand, is just as capable (probably more so) and I can fix just about anything that breaks or goes wrong with it.

Also, there is a much larger aftermarket for Jeeps. Heck, many companies put out catalogs as large as phone books on parts and accessories for them. The options are pretty much endless.

Lastly, a buddy of mine who owned an FJ said the visibility was horrible in it. Same was true for the Hummer H3. Of course, visibility is great in a vehicle that you can take the doors, windows and top off!

Just my 2¢. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers! M2
Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
3 thumbs up.. been looking at fj myself.. just hope youre aware of the windshield prone to cracks on stone chip issue.due to angle position.. seating is not the most comfortable specially on long driving.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
cougar65

Drives: 2010 yaris 5door
I would get a ute if i lived in Australia I mean it's bad ass http://m.holden.com.au/vehicles/ute/...edline-edition
Granted this is not for off roading or well anything but! It's awesome!!!! I just like the el camino and stuff... So utes rub me the right way.
cougar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
FJ, one word badass!!
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Get a Jeep.

I've wheeled with FJs and while they are capable vehicles offroad, I would hate to take something that expensive and beat the hell out of it. My Jeep, on the other hand, is just as capable (probably more so) and I can fix just about anything that breaks or goes wrong with it.

Also, there is a much larger aftermarket for Jeeps. Heck, many companies put out catalogs as large as phone books on parts and accessories for them. The options are pretty much endless.

Lastly, a buddy of mine who owned an FJ said the visibility was horrible in it. Same was true for the Hummer H3. Of course, visibility is great in a vehicle that you can take the doors, windows and top off!

Cheers! M2
Dont forget, he's in Australia. Jeeps might not be as plentiful there.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
my thing is.....IFS....sucks for an off-road vehicle. i'd rather have a chevy truck with an solid axle than a brand new 2011 X5, FJ, or any other IFS front end.

jeeps are AMAZING for their off-road capabilities. they get decent mileage. their support for lifts, wheels, lockers, bumpers, and any other aftermarket is through the roof...dependability is top notch. price is extremely fair seeing as how they're everywhere.

a second option for any serious off raoding vehicle would be any other make/model that had a solid front axle. older land rovers, suzuki side-kick, toyota tacoma or anything SOLID AXLE. they're easy to upgrade for bigger wheels/tires, long arms lifts, leaf springs are best but coils work as well.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I love the looks of the FJ. The only negative is the gas mileage, which is just a wee bit better than my Xterra.

The FJ actually even share a few parts with the Yaris. I have sold few couple of my Passenger Occupancy Sensor Bypass Modules to people with FJs, who have switched to aftermarket seats for serious off-roading.
I think I would have it converted to run on LPG. Gas milage would be of no concern, LPG is about 60c per litre.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Get a Jeep.

Cheers! M2
I'll test drive a Jeep before I make my decision. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #14
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
3 thumbs up.. been looking at fj myself.. just hope youre aware of the windshield prone to cracks on stone chip issue.due to angle position.. seating is not the most comfortable specially on long driving.
I have to be comfortable in the thing to buy it. When I give it a test drive if I aint gonna be comfortable in it, I aint buying it.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #15
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar65 View Post
I would get a ute if i lived in Australia I mean it's bad ass http://m.holden.com.au/vehicles/ute/...edline-edition
Granted this is not for off roading or well anything but! It's awesome!!!! I just like the el camino and stuff... So utes rub me the right way.
Was thinking about a Ute. If I can't find a 4x4 or 4x2 I like then a Ute may be a serious option.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #16
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Dont forget, he's in Australia. Jeeps might not be as plentiful there.
We have Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge dealers here. Jeeps have been here for ages, then Chrysler and Dodge joined the market.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
So how much off roading are you thinking of doing? Serious or occasional. Mostly around town or is this going to become a new hobby...going out in the boonies to play in the mud and such. i guess these are questions to help with the decision. The Jeep has better aftermarket support, but the FJ may be a better around town kinda vehicle, comfy wise, with occasional off road bouts.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #18
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
So how much off roading are you thinking of doing? Serious or occasional. Mostly around town or is this going to become a new hobby...going out in the boonies to play in the mud and such. i guess these are questions to help with the decision. The Jeep has better aftermarket support, but the FJ may be a better around town kinda vehicle, comfy wise, with occasional off road bouts.
The only off roading I plan to do is over nature strips to avoid grid lock. I'd be using the FJ as a daily driver to and from work. Off roading may happen, but mainly it will be city/motorway driving to and from work.

Another reason I like the FJ is it's interior looks roomy. I was in LTNoogies Jeep (forgotten which model it was), but I don't think i'd fit behind the wheel in it. I'm a big guy, when I say big i mean 6"4' 500 pounds approx. I fit in the Yaris, if i'm going to get a new vehicle it has to be able to fit me in it and me be comfortable.