Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #55
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Sorry guys the account I used for Web hosting closed so some pictures are lost I have to adjust my rear brakes again soon so ill try to put some new pics up and put them on photo bucket with a link
Any photos yet yaris sedan??. TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #56
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I just did mine two weeks ago. Like 7-8 clicks per side. You'll notice the handbrake lever will go up less clicks after adjusting too. I always clean and blow out all the dust in there with my air compressor *outside* only.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #57
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I just did mine two weeks ago. Like 7-8 clicks per side. You'll notice the handbrake lever will go up less clicks after adjusting too. I always clean and blow out all the dust in there with my air compressor *outside* only.
Are you advising to make adjustments through the rubber plug on the inboard side of the drum ?.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #58
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Are you advising to make adjustments through the rubber plug on the inboard side of the drum ?.
You can do it that way but you have to be careful not to overadjust them removing the drum is the best way because you can clean out all the dust I adjust mine every six months and it ensures even brake wear my front brakes are at 80 percent life after close to 60k miles
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #59
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

To clean out brake dust,do you spray the interior with brake cleaner?... (I know that cleaner is quite harsh,but....). TIA
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #60
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I use compressed air. Only do this outside, that dust is bad stuff.... That spray isn't heathy either and makes a drippy mess..

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #61
Yaross

Drives: 2006 Yaris HB 5DR
Will it be equally bad to cleanout brake dust if one use vacuum cleaner instead of compressed air?
Yaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #62
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenquinZ111 View Post
a ez way to just adjust the rear drum is drive in reverse and then press on the brakes. then you might notice the parking brake will click less. down to 4.
Hey does this actually work? anybody tried it already? How fast do you go? how far? how hard do you apply the brakes?
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #63
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post

Make sure you have all the proper tools before you start. You can use your lug nut removal tool and floor jack

that came with your car but it makes more hassle removing everything from your car and putting it back plus its not

as efficient as using a real floor jack and breaker bar.

Now that you have all your tools park your car on the most level surface you can find and leave the parking brake

off.

Position the floor jack directly under the lift point. If you look under the car you will see 2 notches where the

jack can sit securely.

Jack up the rear of the car whichever side you decide you want to start first. Make sure the tire is not completely

off the ground as the tire will spin when you try to remove the lug nuts.

Using your breaking bar and socket turn it counter clock ways with a jerking motion and spin it about a full 360 turn

to make sure they are properly loose. Once this is done now you can jack up the car till the wheel is about 1 inch

off the ground.

Now that the wheel is off you may have trouble removing the drum. This is where the screwdriver comes in. You can

utilize the 2 screw holes and insert 2 bolts and ratchet them in till the drum pops off. More than likely though

since the drum is loose and you are going to make it tighter this should not be necessary. Just take your

screwdriver and insert it in between the drum and backing plate and twist and it should pop off. If it dose not come

off try in opposing sides slowly till it comes out.

Once the drum is removed clean out all the dust inside the drum and wash out dust on your brake parts with plain

water from a garden hose or spray bottle. I don't recommend any chemical cleaners as it will clean off the

lubrication grease between the backing plate and brake shoe and to re lube it will require another DIY. Simple water

and letting it air dry will suffice. Once everything has dried put the drum bake on securely and rotate it

clockwise. It should spin approx 360 degrees and stop. The more rotations will help you gage how much you will

need to adjust it till it rotates only 360.

Now locate the star wheel. It is at the upper portion right below the wheel cylinder. Take your screwdriver again

and push it forward toward the backing plate 2 clicks. Put the drum back on and spin it. Take it off and adjust 2

clicks more. Keep doing this till you get satisfactory results. Perfect adjustment you should hear the brake shoe

ever so slightly rubbing against the inside of the drum as you spin it and it should fall short of a full spin.

Once you get this result you are done.

Put the drum back on and the wheel back in place. Screw on all the lug nuts hand tight. Then while the wheel is

off the ground still take your breaker bar and jerk it clockwise while holding the wheel. Making sure they are

decently snug. Then lower the vehicle down and use your torque wrench and torque all 4 nuts down to 76ft pounds.

Repeat same procedure on the other wheel. Once you are done test your parking brake. It should feel firm and go

up about 3 clicks. Now go out and enjoy your better feeling brake pedal, decreased stopping distance and properly

operating parking brake.
Unable to view photo's?.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #64
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
To remove the brake drums fit the bolts on the hood mounting
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #65
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZEL View Post

??????????????
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #66
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Quote:
"fit the bolts on the hood mounting"........any explanation?.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #67
Maranda
Newcomer

Drives: Yaris 2007 HB
I can't see pictures of this nice DIY.
Maranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #68
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
I think its because it super old. Happened to diy squeek fix for engine mount by engine bay also.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #69
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
Quote:
I think he means you can use two of the hood mounting bolts if you do not have the right size on hand.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #70
Gpav6

Drives: Yaris sr
Pics not showing up? Any chance someone can reupload?
Gpav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:02 AM   #71
SeattleCommuter

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
I wrote the updated instructions below based on YarisSedan's original instructions and feedback from the community.

Remove the tire
If you're not sure how to do this, read How to change a tire first.

If the tire is stuck to brake drum, hit the tire with a rubber mallet on alternating sides until it separates from the brake drum.

Remove brake drum
Make sure car is in Park (automatic) or in 1st gear (manual) and parking brake is released (down position).

CAUTION! To avoid inhalation of brake dust which is hazardous to your health, it is recommended to put on a dust mask before removing the drum.

Pull the brake drum outward towards you.

WARNING! Don't take your screwdriver and insert it in between the drum and backing plate and twist. The backing plate bends easily and can rub against wheel.

If the drum is stuck to backing plate, you can utilize the 2 screw holes and insert 2 bolts and ratchet them in till the drum pops off. (You can use bolts from the hinge of the engine hood.) A rubber mallet also works well to loosen the drum without any damage to the drum or backing plate.

Wipe off brake dust
Once the drum is removed, gently wipe the dust off the brake parts with plain water. Chemical cleaners aren't recommended as it will remove the lubrication grease that's needed.

Check the wheel cylinder for hydraulic leaks. If you notice fluid inside the drum or on the brake shoes, get your car inspected by a mechanic. A leak in the hydraulic system, may result in decreased brake performance.

Adjust star wheel
Now locate the adjuster star wheel. It is at the upper portion right below the wheel cylinder. Take your screwdriver again and push it forward toward the backing plate 2 clicks. The star wheel ratchets and turns only in one direction unless the metal tab is pushed in. Test your parking brake. It should feel firm and go up about 3 or 4 clicks. If it goes up more, put the drum back on and try to spin it. It it spins freely, take the drum off and adjust the star wheel 2 more clicks.

Keep doing this till you get satisfactory results. Perfect adjustment you should hear the brake shoe ever so slightly rubbing against the inside of the drum as you spin it and it should fall short of a full spin.

Put tire back on the car
If you're not sure how to do this, read How to change a tire first.

Use a torque wrench and torque all 4 lug nuts to 80 ft-pounds.

Testing parking brake
Your parking brake should feel firm and go up about 3 clicks. Now go out and enjoy your better feeling brake pedal, decreased stopping distance and properly operating parking brake.

Video
I found this YouTube video helpful: Adjusting the star wheel - Adjust in opposite direction from the video to tighten

Diagram
SeattleCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #72
THEWISEONE

Drives: Yaris
Excellent! this is exactly how we do it at our Toyota dealership. The instructions applies to all model toyotas with drum brakes. We use a soapy water mixture to clean the dust off the brake components.No brake cleaner because it disolve the grease on the backing plate like the original poster mentioned.
THEWISEONE is offline   Reply With Quote