Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Alignment necessary?

I replaced front and rear suspension a couple weeks ago and have driven my car for a few hundred km to set it all in. I've heard multiple times that you need an alignment once you change the suspension.

My question is, is an alignment really necessary? I never touched the tie rods, so they are in the same place and my car is driving fine at highway and city speeds. The only value that would be off would be the camber. Could I not just check this and adjust it myself instead of paying for a whole alignment that likely isn't necessary?

I'd like the hear the thoughts of some of you on this forum before I make a decision
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
Thebigwicks

Drives: 2008 lowered yaris on 17's
From my understanding when you lower our cars the toe out. That's what I would worry about. Camber doesnt really wear tires any fasted, it just changers the area or contact patch that touched the road. When I lowered my car I went a whole month to though alighting it. I do not recommend it though however because I believe you do need to get an alignment. Even if it is just a front end one. Most shops won't mess with the rears anyway. The thing is that if you put it off, you will continue to put it of and instead of paying 50-80 bucks for an alignment... Your looking at 200 bucks for some new tiers.
Thebigwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
I know you are in Canada, so not sure if this applies where you live, but many chain tire shops in the US offer free alignment checks. I know this is a way to get your car on the rack so the tech can inspect the car and then try to sell you added services for your car that you may need or not need, but you can always say no, and in the process, find out if the suspension work you have done has change your alignment to an out of spec condition. It doesn't take much, a degree or two, to cause some pretty bad tire wear.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Thebigwicks

Drives: 2008 lowered yaris on 17's
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
I know you are in Canada, so not sure if this applies where you live, but many chain tire shops in the US offer free alignment checks. I know this is a way to get your car on the rack so the tech can inspect the car and then try to sell you added services for your car that you may need or not need, but you can always say no, and in the process, find out if the suspension work you have done has change your alignment to an out of spec condition. It doesn't take much, a degree or two, to cause some pretty bad tire wear.
Dang! Wish I had those here in south Louisiana!
Thebigwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Camber being out of spec means the toe is likely out too. You adjust camber first & then the toe. I do alignments everyday.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:04 AM   #6
bairjo

Have it checked. It should be done yearly anyhow.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Canadian Tire is happy to offer free alignment checks, just ask. May or may not take a manager approval, but it can be had for free. When I bought tires there they practically forced a free alignment check on me (for all four wheels, LOL), despite the vehicle getting the tires having two live axles.

Even though it turned out to have poor alignment (didn't care because it tracked straight and got so few miles I replaced the tires due to rot) they didn't do anything more than let me know I should consider an alignment when I picked up the vehicle. No heavy sales pitch or anything.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote