Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
oehtam

Drives: 2005 Nissan Frontier
Just test drove the Yaris....plastic interior?

Test drove the 3dr Yaris Liftback today...and I was very impressed. This is the first time I've seen the Yaris up close and I'm totally sold on the looks. I was extremely surprise on how well the Yaris handled and how it soaked up road imperfections. The car felt totally solid...doors closed w/ a heavy "thunk".

I like the interior too, and I don't mind not having a tach, since i'm very likely be opting for the auto (suits my needs...daily commuting). The only thing that somewhat detracted from the Yaris is the quality of the interior. I'm curious on how durable the plastics are on the Yaris. Is the dashboard easily scratched? Has anyone experience any broken latches or glove compartment (or any of the little storage thingies) covers/lids becoming loose?

Last edited by oehtam; 05-23-2006 at 10:38 PM.
oehtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Price tag: $10,000. Yes, it's plastic. Yes, it scratches.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
oehtam

you're right... for that $ amount its a given. The last Toyota I had (93 Tacoma). The engine outlasted the interior....that car only cost $19K.

I'm sold, the Yaris will be my next car
Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
All the reviews have been glowing about the "upgraded" plastics in the Yaris. To me it is no better/no worse than prior cars.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
oehtam

Thats good to hear..... I really like everything about the Yaris including the interior design. As far as the interior materials, I actually just want it to last at least a year, without hinges/latches breaking off...but I guess, thats too high of an expectation....like another member has hinted...for the $ amount, I shouldn't expect the interior to be as durable as the engine.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Have you seen the interior for Fits, Rios, Aveo5, Focus, Swift... etc? As long as I concern, compare to other 'sub-compact'. Yaris got the best looking interior.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
oehtam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Have you seen the interior for Fits, Rios, Aveo5, Focus, Swift... etc? As long as I concern, compare to other 'sub-compact'. Yaris got the best looking interior.

Yes I have seen them and I think Yaris has the best looking interior, no question :), To me, the look and feel of the interior is not that relevant. I'm just curious about the durability of all those hinges/latches (at least during the first year of ownership).
Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Just use some Armorall wipes on the dash and it protects it from scratches and dust ... I used them on mine and it worked like a charm.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I think the interior is pretty good. I like the way it looks and feels, it is better than the boring plain black plastic on my Saab.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Also it seems thicker than most, so it'll probaly never crack from heat or anything.
Another thing i noticed, very small detail, but the "oh shit" handles even have like little, guess you can call em resistors on them, kinda like an old tape player so they dont slam closed when you let em go. Makes it feel "not cheap".

But yea, Yaris interior hands down wins.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
oehtam

I finally got my liftback... Bayou Blue...power package...$200 off msrp and I didn't get a headache from making the deal
Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Congrats on the car. I've got a bayou blue too. The colour will amaze you. It looks different in differnt light conditions. Enjoy the car, and remember it is what it is, don't over think it. Remember the $ you paid.

UY
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
I happen to like the yaris interior, extra storage space is a big bonus too.

welcome to yarisworld!
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
The only part of the Yaris interior that looks noticeably cheap to me is the silver plastic of the AC column. The dash material, while certainly not luxurious, seems of good quality to me. I never drove the Versa (the exterior appearance just wasn't appealing to me), I thought the trim levels of the Fit and the Yaris were pretty much the same. Very different design approaches, with certain things being better in each, but comparable.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote