Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
marcar72

Drives: 2014 Yaris L 5spd
So I see a 3rd Gen Yaris LE 5 door sitting outside...

... and I run out and check the wheel wells. These LE wheel wells look finished for the most part whereas the L model wheel wells that I was checking out last Saturday didn't look as finished if at all. So what gives?? Is it possible that the new Yaris L that I test drove on Saturday indeed didn't have properly finished wheel wells?

What I mean by finished is having pretty much the whole wheel well dressed out with thick plastic that covers the underlaying metal. The Yaris L that I test drove on Saturday had some minimal thin plastic covering like 1/3 of the wheel well with some rubbery/sticky tar like stuff sort of overlapping that. It seemed like 60% of the wheel well was exposed metal and the rest was inadequately protected.

I know I might seem to be obsessing about this but I would really love some definitave information in regards to this. At this point I'm thinking I'm gonna go to another dealer to check out a Magnetic Gray Metallic Yaris L within the next week or so. I'm currently without an auto so this requires taking an Amtrak to the town that has a manual trans. Yaris L that I can check out.
marcar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I haven't looks closely at 3rd gen Yaris, but on the second gen ones there was very little coating of the wheel wells (a couple of spots that were likely for seam sealing or panel vibration reduction and the rest was just exposed base color painted metal. I have coated mine with Herculiner to protect them and perhaps with the one you looked at either the owner did something similar or they paid for an enhanced rust proofing.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcar72 View Post
taking an Amtrak to the town that has a manual trans. Yaris
Love your dedication!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote