Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
pigpenracing

Drives: 2007 hatchback
ait resistor mod

I want to try the mod putting the resistor in the ait sensor. I know this will not give me 35 HP like ebay says but I should pick up 7 or 8 HP. I tow a trailer with 3 dirtbikes with my yaris. It tows pretty good. I can roll 80 MPH no problem in 4th gear. It slows down up hills in 5th gear. I am just looking for a few extra HP without spending money. If I do spend money I will install a turbo. I will not waste money on exhaust, cold air intake etc just topick up a few hp. I know the ait mod works, I have done it on other cars. My question is where is the ait sensor. There is a sensor on the airbox with multiple wires. Is this it? Which 2 wires is it? On other vehicles I have done it is just 2 wires hooked to the sensor. Has anyone done this? I have a 2007 hatchback. Maybe I can just spray a 150 shot of nitrous going up hills. LOL!
Any help would be appreciated
pigpenracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Been done, search around, the ECU will basically adjust itself back to the way it used to be, so this'll work for maybe 15 minutes

The reason for this is, there are two O2 sensors in the exhaust, which are used to calibrate the air/fuel ratio so as to always have the correct mixture.

So, save your money

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
pigpenracing

resistor

Are you sure it only works for 15 minutes or is this just something you read? The resister tells the computer that the air going in is 25 degrees cooler. This makes the computer change timing and fuel to compensate. Yes the o2 sensor reads how rich or lean it is, but the computer is still tricked telling the sensors something different. Some people relocate the ait sensor to get cooler air. This don't work either? What if I was to buy a $300 chip. How do we know it does not do the same as this ten cent resistor? The high dollar chips just fool the computer also correct?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
save yourself the time..
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpenracing View Post
Are you sure it only works for 15 minutes or is this just something you read? The resister tells the computer that the air going in is 25 degrees cooler. This makes the computer change timing and fuel to compensate. Yes the o2 sensor reads how rich or lean it is, but the computer is still tricked telling the sensors something different.
Correct. But the ECU's algorithm works in such a way that it uses the O2 sensors for the long term fuel trim. As you said the computer will change the fueling at first, but the O2 sensor will keep telling it that the output is too rich or too lean all the time, so the ECU will readjust itself.

Quote:
Some people relocate the ait sensor to get cooler air. This don't work either?
those who have tried their hands at custom intakes have had related problems, where CELs would show up if the sensor is placed in a certain way.

Quote:
What if I was to buy a $300 chip. How do we know it does not do the same as this ten cent resistor? The high dollar chips just fool the computer also correct?
Well what those with piggyback systems like the e-manage unplug the rear O2 sensor, this puts the engine is a fail-safe mode where this long-term adjustment is disabled. But, the CEL light will be on at all times. I suppose you could do this too with a resistor mod, but I doubt the benefits will outweigh the inconveniences.

What I have yet to see anyone try, though, is to try and adjust fuelling through modification of the O2 sensor output?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
pigpenracing

ait

Go to ebay and type in yaris chip under search. They have one that ties into the ait sensor and o2 sensor both. It has an adjustment knob on it also. They also sell one that goes just on the o2 sensor.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
... im afraid eTiMaGo is correct. our ecu is notoriously smart... and difficult to "trick"...

if you believe everything you read in the advertisments on ebay, then it will work.

if you decide to buy the resistor please post your results so the community has first hand experiance ...
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
I want to try the mod putting the resistor in the ait sensor. I know this will not give me 35 HP like ebay says but I should pick up 7 or 8 HP. I tow a trailer with 3 dirtbikes with my yaris. It tows pretty good. I can roll 80 MPH no problem in 4th gear. It slows down up hills in 5th gear. I am just looking for a few extra HP without spending money. If I do spend money I will install a turbo. I will not waste money on exhaust, cold air intake etc just topick up a few hp. I know the ait mod works, I have done it on other cars. My question is where is the ait sensor. There is a sensor on the airbox with multiple wires. Is this it? Which 2 wires is it? On other vehicles I have done it is just 2 wires hooked to the sensor. Has anyone done this? I have a 2007 hatchback. Maybe I can just spray a 150 shot of nitrous going up hills. LOL!
Any help would be appreciated
aparently the noob knows more than us, all that money I waisted

try this jimbob http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyYarisGB.htm
they are not a waist of money, like the resistor mod is
Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
pigpenracing

pulleys

I looked at the pulleys. How much power will you pick up loosing half of a pound on a pulley? I don't buy that. Maybe 1/2 of a HP. If it were underdrive pulleys I would understand but the aftermarket pulley is the same size as stock just lighter. I think this is for looks. I come from a background of drag racing and real HP. My blown alcohol BBC made 2700HP and my alcohol turbo smallblock made 2450HP. Now that I understand real horsepower you can not convince me you feel the power from adding a pulley. If I spend 120 on a pulley, 250 on cold air and 400 on exhaust I am getting close to $1000 bucks for maybe 10 horsepower. You can tune a motor and pick up more than that. So I am looking to tune the engine. I know there is a way and through the O2 sensor sounds pretty legit to me.
Go race your 116HP rice burner You noob!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
are you the one selling these resistors? Seriously though, I have the pulley and it helped quite a bit, and I have towed a utility trailer to California (over 1,000 miles) and my car did great except for the largest of hills. I say if you want to give the resistor a shot, go ahead, but the yaris does have a learning ECU. Let us know though how it works out.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
I looked at the pulleys. How much power will you pick up loosing half of a pound on a pulley? I don't buy that. Maybe 1/2 of a HP. If it were underdrive pulleys I would understand but the aftermarket pulley is the same size as stock just lighter. I think this is for looks. I come from a background of drag racing and real HP. My blown alcohol BBC made 2700HP and my alcohol turbo smallblock made 2450HP. Now that I understand real horsepower you can not convince me you feel the power from adding a pulley. If I spend 120 on a pulley, 250 on cold air and 400 on exhaust I am getting close to $1000 bucks for maybe 10 horsepower. You can tune a motor and pick up more than that. So I am looking to tune the engine. I know there is a way and through the O2 sensor sounds pretty legit to me.
Go race your 116HP rice burner You noob!
so you know all this and have to ask about a $2 resister adding HP? wow alot of "know it alls" here today...

I await your testing, if it works, without a check engine light, I'm in.

p.s. i like big hp, could you provide some pics, in the off topic section of your car, website, team etc..maybe some stats etc...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
so you know all this and have to ask about a $2 resister adding HP?
Damnit! You soo beat me to it!!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
pigpenracing

people

Ok so out of all you people on here none of you have tried this mod that cost a nickle or the O2 sensor mod for $30.00. It has a money back guarentee if it does not work. Is everyone scared to try it? What is the deal? Feedback on ebay sure looks good. If it did not work how does this guy have over 99% feedback?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Then try it and prove us all wrong.

eBay is full of scammer sellers and fake bidders.. its not hard to create bogus feedback ratings.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
pigpenracing

ebay

I will try the O2 sensor deal and let ya'll know. I buy and sell airplane parts on ebay every day and so far everyone has been honest. It is almost impossible to control feedback. Once you get bad it stays with you. So is that crank pully and a k&n worth buying?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
punch

I googled you, and yes you sell headsets on ebay... couldn't find anything on your 2000hp cars, ( I didn't search that hard though)..

back in 1998, I knew a person who built a small black box for dodge dakota's, with an adjustable dial, and this is what these resistor mods are based on, the problem with newer cars, such as the yaris, the computer will start to modify other readings, and try to work around the resistor mod, I'll look for the website I read a year ago about this..

so anyway goto canadian tire, but a resistor for like 0.25c, and install it...

it gives the ecu the impression the iat is cooler.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #17
punch

copied from the web...

And as engine calibrations (mapping) increase spark advance with decreasing IAT, in order to compensate for slower burn rates (under MBT operations), or to get closer to the knock limit(under BLD operations), you end up with more spark advance, and therefore more power (in the knock limited areas only!!!, in the MBT areas, you actually lose power / efficiency).
Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Its been proven years ago that those ebay resistors are complete junk,just like the turbonator. Thats why nobody has tried it,we don't need to.