Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Help! I don't want to sound like a bumblebee.

First off I feel I should explain my story. I'm not an import guy. I like old American made muscle cars. I recently purchased a Yaris however, due to me moving 40 miles away from my job and needing a gas sipper. I thought the Yaris would be a fun little car to have and would be cheap to customize. So far, it's living up to my expectations. Here's my issue...

I want to put exhaust on it because I've already done the intake, the speed limit is 75 where I live and I could use the extra power getting up to speed. The problem is I've heard kids with their civics with exhaust and they always sound like giant mutant bumblebees. Ideally I'd like my Yaris to get the performance of upgraded exhaust without the loudness. Kinda like a mini muscle car type sound. Quiet, deep and adding performance. Any experts know the best exhaust for me? Or should I just hold off completely and stick with the stock?

My final concern is that I have the stock ground fx kit. The current exhaust bends down behind the kit and can't even be seen. Would I have to cut a hole for the new exhaust?
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
when i had my GTI, i had a shop custom-make me a catback using a Flowmaster muffler (i forget specifically which one). it sounds nice and deep, nothing like "ricers". i asked them which muffler would produce such a tone with that car, and they recommended that muffler. so i suggest going to a shop and asking them.

as for the OEM lips, if you get a custom-catback made, just have them weld on a tip that'll clear the rear lip.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
If you want more grunt I would start up front at the manifold and work your way back. Largeorangefont gave the DC Sports header a go and with its equilength pipes gave him a boost. Plus the sound was hardly/not at all effected; maybe just what your looking for without the buzz-saw effect.
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
John_v63400

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr. S
Go 2inch piping back from the resanotor, Throw a magnaflow or flowmaster on. And it will sound Great, deep, (well deep for a 4banger) no bumble bee, no rasp, no buzzing, just a nice clean performance sound with noticeable performance gains, heres what I did

See how I had it bent just like the stock tip, you cant notice it , and it sounds great, people will definite look hen you drive by, and they will wonder where that sound is coming from being theres no 6 inch can sticking from the back, i ove my exaust its great

Last edited by Black Yaris; 08-27-2007 at 09:35 AM.
John_v63400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
p.s. - john I love ur tires!
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
John_v63400

Really why???
Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
DuckinOut
QUACK~!!!!!

Drives: Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to DuckinOut
thru my bf's connection, we decided on this muffler from a-spec with 2 inch open pipe from the stock flang to the muffler, keep the stock flang just incase of any california fix-it tickets . it looks cute and it's pretty deep, loud enough from the outside to set off car alarms at low rpms . but from the inside of the car, its like a muffled humm . i like it cuz it's cute

DuckinOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckinOut View Post
thru my bf's connection, we decided on this muffler from a-spec with 2 inch open pipe from the stock flang to the muffler, keep the stock flang just incase of any california fix-it tickets . it looks cute and it's pretty deep, loud enough from the outside to set off car alarms at low rpms . but from the inside of the car, its like a muffled humm . i like it cuz it's cute
[/IMG]
Tho I doubt we are for the same Ducks, GO DUCKS!. As for the car, why would you want to set off car alarms at low rpm's? Sounds excessive for 104 hp. If you think it's cute, good. It looks ok, but it does have the stuck too look that I don't like. Definition, it looks like it was stuck on...not incorporated smoothly...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_v63400 View Post
Go 2inch piping back from the resanotor, Throw a magnaflow or flowmaster on. And it will sound Great, deep, (well deep for a 4banger) no bumble bee, no rasp, no buzzing, just a nice clean performance sound with noticeable performance gains, heres what I did

See how I had it bent just like the stock tip, you cant notice it , and it sounds great, people will definite look hen you drive by, and they will wonder where that sound is coming from being theres no 6 inch can sticking from the back, i ove my exaust its great
This looks like what I had in mind. Do you have any way to record the sound of your setup? I'd love to be able to hear it. :)

Also, how much did all that cost? I'm wondering how much I should pay for the installation and everything.
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
Tho I doubt we are for the same Ducks, GO DUCKS!. As for the car, why would you want to set off car alarms at low rpm's? Sounds excessive for 104 hp. If you think it's cute, good. It looks ok, but it does have the stuck too look that I don't like. Definition, it looks like it was stuck on...not incorporated smoothly...
+1 I was thinking the same thing...doesnt look like an axle back - it looks like a muffler just welded on however it fit to the existing pipe...
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 AM   #11
John_v63400

Nope its rfom resanoator back, it was 250 and I will put up sound ASAP. Im wauting for my camera
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:

hey john... the only problem there is you still have the stock resinator... and that still has the 1.75 pipe choking it down, if you replace that one with one with a 2 inch internal you will get better flow

also, I started off with the same set up as you, I was happy for a while, then I learned about the whole resinator thing.... so I ripped it all out and did a whole cat back and went to a 2.25 pipe.... WOW what a HUGH improvement even bigger than the first exhaust upgrade, felt like i wasted my money the first time....

so if you are going to go this far with your exhaust do a full cat back get a new resinator and go 2.25 if give a nice deep tone
here is a link to my exhaust thread with pix and specs...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=exhaust
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #13
John_v63400

Yeah man I definitely like your set up alot.........
Where did you get the resanator, cause I knew it would improve flow, I really didnt want to stick with the stock one,
im sure I will be alot more happier when I upgrade
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #14
John_v63400

Bumble bee answered

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8407
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #15
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
An intake will yield more HP results and give you a nice sound as well. I'd probably start there and see how you like it.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Yeah man I definitely like your set up alot.........
Where did you get the resanator, cause I knew it would improve flow, I really didnt want to stick with the stock one,
im sure I will be alot more happier when I upgrade
resinator was installed at the exhaust shop with the rest of the exhaust.... he had all the parts in stock