Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
LuisPRTRD
Angry Bird

Drives: yaris sedan
Angry starter stuck?

Some times and mosty when its cold when I turn my yaris on the starter stays on and grins a bit for less than a second. Is my starter on its last or can this be something else?
LuisPRTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPRTRD View Post
Some times and mosty when its cold when I turn my yaris on the starter stays on and grins a bit for less than a second. Is my starter on its last or can this be something else?
It could be that the starter solenoid is sticking, but most of the time when people experience long cranks the culprit ends up being that the battery is on its way out.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
LuisPRTRD
Angry Bird

I tested my battery not to long ago when I worked for pepboys...I'll get it tested agin it's still under waranty
Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Could be you're just seeing a normal cold start. The Yaris starter is designed to keep turning until the engine starts. You should turn the key to the start position and then let go immediately - if you hold it for longer it may really grind.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
LuisPRTRD
Angry Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Could be you're just seeing a normal cold start. The Yaris starter is designed to keep turning until the engine starts. You should turn the key to the start position and then let go immediately - if you hold it for longer it may really grind.
I know and I let it go inmmediately...after I let it go the car turns on and the starter is still going it does this some times mosty when its cold
Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPRTRD View Post
I know and I let it go inmmediately...after I let it go the car turns on and the starter is still going it does this some times mosty when its cold
OK, it's probably a problem with the starter - maybe the solenoid is sticking, as CTScott suggested. If something like oil or antifreeze has been leaking into the starter, it could combine with dust to form a sticky mess that will cause the starter drive to jam. Another possible cause is the ring gear on the flywheel (the big gear that the small pinion on the starter drive engages). I have seen some really chewed up ring gears that are reluctant to let the drive retract after starting. Check for this condition by removing the starter and manually turning the engine over, examining all the teeth on the ring gear carefully. Suggestion for the next step: you should dismantle the starter for cleaning (cheap) or replace it (expensive.)
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote