Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
waylandchin

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Hear noise when playing music with TomTom 910 through auxiliary audio input jack

I play music in my new Yaris through the audio input jack. The source is a TomTom 910. When I plug in the car charger for the TomTom, I hear noise, especially when I accelerate. If i unplug the car charger and have the TomTom run from the built in battery, the music plays fine with no noise. Does anybody know how to fix this problem? I want to play music with no noise while having the car charger for the TomTom plugged in.
waylandchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
nebulight
Novice Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to nebulight
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylandchin View Post
I play music in my new Yaris through the audio input jack. The source is a TomTom 910. When I plug in the car charger for the TomTom, I hear noise, especially when I accelerate. If i unplug the car charger and have the TomTom run from the built in battery, the music plays fine with no noise. Does anybody know how to fix this problem? I want to play music with no noise while having the car charger for the TomTom plugged in.
You'll most likely need to get a ground loop isolator, it's feedback noise from powering the unit. The problem is, most ground loop isolators are pretty bulky and are in RCA form, so you'd have to get an adapter. Here are some pics of mine when I had my GTI:

You see how the one side that is going into the ipod charger has the headphone adapter, you'll need one of those on both sides, kinda sucks because you don't have place to hide the unit.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
oneclickfixed

Drives: SILVER S
Hey, I just bought a 910 2 weeks ago and have the same issue. I was thinking about hard wiring the power to the fuse box. Not sure if it is going to help.
oneclickfixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
From what I've heard, all 12v accessory outlets are notorious for causing interference. I've got the same issue with my Sirius car unit. Gotta' get a filter for that thing...

~YR
Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
waylandchin

I'm trying this

I just ordered this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9075&rd=1&rd=1

It's got great reviews on crutchfield. Even pilots use it for sattelite rado. So it should work on our Yaris. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Their seems to be two versions on ebay though. One that looks like the crutchfield one and one that looks similar, like the one I'm ordering. Don't know if it's bootleg though.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
jonr0613

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
i have notice the same noise when i used the auxiliary...i think the contact point is loose in the auxiliary port
jonr0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
waylandchin

no, this happens with all cars with auxiliary ins. I think it's called a ground loop. when you plug in the car charger and the aux in you'll get a feedback loop. even airplanes have it. I got the ground loop isolator I mentioned on ebay earlier and it works great. no more noise. try it.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yup, ground loop isolator...it should fix the problem!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Well, I've finally found a use for those two little "pockets" on the sides of the center pillar:

I got this Targus Power Inverter:
http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...?sku=PAPWR005U

and put it in the pocket on the passenger side. When I plug my Garmin C580's power adapter into it, I don't get the noise anymore. Maybe it's because this Targus inverter has a built in surge protector and line conditioning.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
shagrat

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylandchin View Post
I just ordered this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9075&rd=1&rd=1

It's got great reviews on crutchfield. Even pilots use it for sattelite rado. So it should work on our Yaris. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Their seems to be two versions on ebay though. One that looks like the crutchfield one and one that looks similar, like the one I'm ordering. Don't know if it's bootleg though.
I just got mine from Crutchfield. Amazing! It eliminated all the noise I was getting from my XM. Definately two thumbs up!!
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
I just got mine from Crutchfield. Amazing! It eliminated all the noise I was getting from my XM. Definately two thumbs up!!
+1

I just drove up to Cruthfield this afternoon and picked up my Ground Loop Isolator and it works great! I can not recommend it enough.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
I had the same problem when charging my Nuvi. I went to Radio Shack and for under $20, had a ground loop isolater and necessary cables. Easy fix.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote